Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 6:49 pm

Following the lead of Saudi Arabia, many gulf states have cut off diplomatic relations with Qatar, and closed all transportation connections. It comes close to a total embargo.

They say it's because of Qatari support for terrorists and Islamists, but that's a little hypocritical coming from the Saudis. I believe it's a cynical exercise of power by them, to cement their role as the suzerain monarchy in the region, and look tough for a useful idiot sword dancer.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 8:21 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I believe it's a cynical exercise of power by them, to cement their role as the suzerain monarchy in the region, and look tough for a useful idiot sword dancer.

This...

The Saudi's also made up similar stuff about Yemen being overrun by ISIL to send in troops.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

Right this minute on CNN, they are talking about evidence for the Russians planting fake stories to connect Qatar to terrorists, in order to create this new Middle East crisis. If the Devil lives on earth, his name is Vladimir Putin.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 6:59 pm

Enter the sword dancer, impressed.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/06/531789420 ... -gulf-feud

The few sane people who have stuck with him, not so much.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 7:04 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Right this minute on CNN, they are talking about evidence for the Russians planting fake stories to connect Qatar to terrorists, in order to create this new Middle East crisis. If the Devil lives on earth, his name is Vladimir Putin.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity ... tar-report

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 7:45 pm

Saudi Arabia accusing Qatar of supporting terrorists (SMH). Of course as a client state America has to go along with our master. The only problem is that Qator is supporting terrorists that are not to our masters liking.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 8:51 pm

The Arab states are all using little Qatar as a Shiite whipping boy - to beat up on Iran in effigy- because the bunch are all too weak and wimpy to mess with Iran itself.

This may, or may not, be some indirect outcome of the Trump trip.

The Middle East has been sliding toward a region wide all out war between the Sunni allies of the Saudies, and the Shiite allies of Iran (with Israel in an under the table alliance with the Saudi axis). Obama tried to be somewhat even handed between Iran and the Saudies, but Trump just went whole hog into backing the Saudi side publicly and exclusively. Though its none of America's business to favor one branch of Islam over the other beefing up the Saudi side might actually buy some time of stability and stave off the coming all out war between the two alliances. But its the Saudies, and not Iran, who bankroll the terrorist who attack the US and attack Western Europe. So we would be protecting Israel and at the same time sponsoring ISIS terrorism against ourselves.

If we did the opposite: favor Iran, it would favor Hamas and threaten Israel, but we would be backing the worst mortal enemy of ISIS and Al Queda.

So take your pick.

BTW: April Second was "World Autism Awareness Day".

Guess what country persuaded the UN, and the World, to create "Autism Awareness Day"?

Take a WILD guess.

That country was Qatar (of all places). It was the Sheik's wife's idea and he proposed it to the UN in '09.

So I don't like em beating up on little Qatar for that reason!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 9:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Arab states are all using little Qatar as a Shiite whipping boy - to beat up on Iran in effigy- because the bunch are all too weak and wimpy to mess with Iran itself.

This...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jun 2017, 8:35 am

Qatar is most definitely a financier of terrorism, what is also highly disturbing is the influence they reach thru their Al-Jazeera channel as well as their headquartering of the Muslim Brotherhood & Hamas. It has been known for years now that that the Qataris are one of the main forces behind the Syrian 'opposition', they represent a faction and have their own ambitions all over the Middle East & North Africa. The cynicism about the Saudis isn't warranted if we can get them to do what we want, why is their any sympathy for the Qataris? Do you not believe that they support terrorism? It seems clear to me that the Saudis despised Obama and had very little respect for him, common theme outside the European cocktail parties.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

Qatar is in a difficult situation. They supply us with our largest military base in the region, but they don't trust us to stick around for the long haul. They shouldn't.

Mostly, they stick to the Saudi foreign policy line, but they don't see the Saudi monarchy as stable. Fair assessment, but mostly compliant doesn't satisfy the Saudis.

They want to act as a peace broker. That means having open lines of communication with the bad guys.

No one knows all the details, but they provide us a net benefit. It's stupid to write Qatar off, and won't make our other tentative allies in the region trust us more.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 6:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Qatar is most definitely a financier of terrorism, what is also highly disturbing is the influence they reach thru their Al-Jazeera channel as well as their headquartering of the Muslim Brotherhood & Hamas. It has been known for years now that that the Qataris are one of the main forces behind the Syrian 'opposition', they represent a faction and have their own ambitions all over the Middle East & North Africa. The cynicism about the Saudis isn't warranted if we can get them to do what we want, why is their any sympathy for the Qataris? Do you not believe that they support terrorism? It seems clear to me that the Saudis despised Obama and had very little respect for him, common theme outside the European cocktail parties.

Of course Qatar is responsible for a lot of terrorism. But that doesn't negate the possibility that someone - such as the Saudis and/or Putin - is trying to create a situation for some long term goal.
Sure, the Saudis didn't like Obama, as he knew them for what they were. They like Trump because he prefers totalitarian regimes, like theirs, as opposed to democratically elected ones. That, and Trump made no mention of Saudi sponsorship of terror during his visit to their country, as he was more concerned with schmoozing it up with them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
That, and Trump made no mention of Saudi sponsorship of terror during his visit to their country, as he was more concerned with schmoozing it up with them.

In the lead up to the US election Trump referred to the Saudi's as "evil sponsors of terror" and made a "big" point ridiculing Obama for bowing to a Saudi prince

Fast forward to the present and he's not only schmoozing but bowing and scraping to the same people?? really not a man of his word is he...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:44 pm

The whole Russian hacking angle CNN is trying to apply to this is absolutely insane, stuff like this doesn't happen on a whim and not because of stupid reasons like that. Me thinks this might of been

There are a number of Democrat politicians and elements of the media/MIC who have had close relations with the Muslim Brotherhood. If you believe that RT is some sort of insidious propaganda outlet then what about the Qatari-owned Al Jazeera?

I am encouraged to see the Arabs finally start turn the screws on the finances of these terrorist groups such as Hamas and what should soon be declared one in the US like it is in Egypt/Saudi Arabia/UAE the Muslim Brotherhood. Qatari 'independent' foreign policy must end. I think that there is real hope that peace can be found in Syria, if only we could get everybody to the table.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
It's stupid to write Qatar off, and won't make our other tentative allies in the region trust us more.

I'm old enough to remember when US diplomat April Glaspie explicitly told Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein (based on long-standing U.S. policy and that there was no misunderstanding as Saddam knew exactly where the U.S stood) to confirm that the U.S. had no obligation of defending Kuwait from an attack.

There is some dispute over whether it was a mix up in communique but what is clear is the incident precipitate the gulf war and the end of middle eastern stability and rise of terror groups who would we know have killed hundreds of thousands of innocents.

I should imagine the US diplomats will be a little more careful with the Saudis

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
That, and Trump made no mention of Saudi sponsorship of terror during his visit to their country, as he was more concerned with schmoozing it up with them.

In the lead up to the US election Trump referred to the Saudi's as "evil sponsors of terror" and made a "big" point ridiculing Obama for bowing to a Saudi prince

Fast forward to the present and he's not only schmoozing but bowing and scraping to the same people?? really not a man of his word is he...

Or like how he blasted Obama for golfing, yet Trump's had more tee times in four months than Obama had in his entire first year, or how China was an evil currency manipulating nation making up global warming for economic gain and now they're 'great, great people', or how Comey in August was a 'real patriot' and now he's a showboating grandstander with no morals, or how 'globalists' were evil people out to destroy America then he puts his son-in-law and Gary Coen in his inner circle even though they're two of the biggest globalists in the nation, or how Hillary Clinton is going to sell out the country to Goldman Sachs execs then he puts 5 former Goldman Sachs execs in his cabinet. The list could go on, but I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome just listing a fraction of his lies.

Edit: the south was carpetbagged by a slick talkin' New Yorker yet again, they just don't realize it yet.

Last edited by Aristophanes on 07 Jun 2017, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 7:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How else is he suppose to get them to do what he wants? People complain that Trump isn't presidential enough but apparently Trump isn't a man of his word because he didn't punch out King Salman. The Saudis warmly welcomed our new president and seem quite elated the arrogant neophyte Muslim Brotherhood supporter Obama is no longer in power, I see these moves against Qatar as a fulfillment of their new commitment to cracking down on the financiers of terrorism. Hard to believe this wasn't discussed during Trump's trip.