Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

Does anyone have a folding bicycle? I've thought about getting one that I could take on the train and then use at interesting remote destinations. Most seem to have either 20-inch wheels or 24-inch wheels. The smaller ones are lighter and more compact, but they look a bit silly and are apparently not as stable. The larger ones are heavier and more like a normal bike when unfolded, but they seem more like something people would put in the trunk of a car rather than carry on a commuter train or bus.

If anyone has personal experience, pro or con, I'd be glad to hear. What are the important features to look for in selecting one?

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 7:28 pm

Any experiences, good or bad?

For example, here is a 24", which has an almost normal bike look:

That one is $287, but this is one of those categories of product where prices range from $150 to $1500 for the same basic design (with differences in brand, quality, etc.).

There Are Four Lights!

DianaWilliams
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2017, 12:09 am

No but I am thinking to buy one!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 6:49 am

I only have a regular bike but just wanted to say, bear in mind that the smaller the wheel diameter, the less progress the bike makes as you ride along, therefore the more pedaling you have to do to just to maintain a decent speed or journey time.

Trouble is, smaller wheels/bike in general will mean lighter to carry around, and yes larger wheels/bike is more something you put in the trunk of a car rather than tote around.

I don't know about where you live, but some train systems permit someone to wheel a normal bike onto a train, some don't, in my city.