Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 4:53 am

By "old" I don't mean everyone twice my age are "really old". But I just feel that I might as well be middle-aged.

I feel sad that I'm way past the 18-24 age group, and I'm too "old" to call myself a youngster now. I feel like my views on adult life have to be as wise as a 40-something-year-olds views.

Also, my weight. I have gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years, and people are saying it's because of my age. I used to be able to eat a lot and still be very slim. Now I have to watch what I eat, and I have gained 2 stone since I was 25. Does that happen half way through your 20s? I always thought you have to watch your weight more when you hit your 40s, but apparently not.

Also I still live at home and although I'm in a relationship, I desperately want to get married to him but I want to move in with him first but I can't do that because I can't find a suitable job closer to him (he lives about 25 miles away from me).

Life is passing by quickly, and I'm not getting any younger. Did anyone else start to feel frightened by your age once you hit your mid-20s?

Last edited by Joe90 on 09 Jun 2017, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

We haven't really thought about having kids much. I wouldn't mind being a housewife....but the problem is I can't afford to just move in and not have a job, and it's not fair on him if he has to keep me financially. Yes he works but you still can't just use men like that. It's not responsible. I need to have a wage too.
Finding a new job isn't easy, especially when you're suffering with Asperger's, anxiety/stress disorder, and ADHD.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2017, 6:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
By "old" I don't mean everyone twice my age are "really old". But I just feel that I might as well be middle-aged.

I feel sad that I'm way past the 18-24 age group, and I'm too "old" to call myself a youngster now. I feel like my views on adult life have to be as wise as a 40-something-year-olds views.

Also, my weight. I have gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years, and people are saying it's because of my age. I used to be able to eat a lot and still be very slim. Now I have to watch what I eat, and I have gained 2 stone since I was 25. Does that happen half way through your 20s? I always thought you have to watch your weight more when you hit your 40s, but apparently not.

Also I still live at home and although I'm in a relationship, I desperately want to get married to him but I want to move in with him first but I can't do that because I can't find a suitable job closer to him (he lives about 25 miles away from me).

Life is passing by quickly, and I'm not getting any younger. Did anyone else start to feel frightened by your age once you hit your mid-20s?

I feel the same way. For me it's because I think I should be younger I still have a baby face (so I still get people sometimes saying about looking 14 or 16 although I have got 19 before) and developmentally behind. I know I have a disorder but still having an autistic mind and being this old feels weird.
I have no idea about the weight thing but I used to be super skinny and now I'm not fat but my stomach is a bit of a pooch. I hate it. Personally I'm wondering if it's my IUD though because it's far too coincidental. I could literally eat anything and it not be a problem (of course I ate like a bird but I ate unhealthy things) but then few months after insertion bam! It doesn't seem gradual at all. I haven't changed my eating habits. I still eat like a bird and yet there it is. Plus I wake up with a slight pooch when I didn't used to before and I should be burning calories while I sleep esp since I sleep better than I used to. In fact I dream more than I used to at night than I did for years.

I feel you on your relationship. If I was with a guy I was serious about I wouldn't feel right not having a job. Actually I'm casually dating and I still don't feel right but even moreso if I planned to marry the dude.

Life does pass by more quickly when you are older (sad too because I was never in a rush to grow up unlike other kids and I had a terrible childhood too..I savored it) and it's frustrating because it's passing by and I'm standing still. The whole world is changing and I'm just there in my sputtering old "car" trying to keep up.
I also have thanatophobia and that doesn't help. I also hate not having much energy because I don't like to just sit around. I know a lot of it is my depression but I do know I get tired easier when I'm doing stuff too. I don't do well with physical pain either being an HSP and my feet/stomach as well as occasionally cyst on my wrist make me feel old.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 4:42 am

Is it me or are a few posts missing? :|

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 5:12 am

When i was under the age of 27 I had lived such a sheltered life in some ways, and yes I was still with my parents too, that by the time I was 27 and something different was happening (long story) I actually felt like life had just begun for me. At 27 things began to blossom and change for me, but that was just my individual set of circumstances and events, it will of course vary for others.

But just to say, 27 is still actually "young" relatively speaking, and still a time in life where all kinds of events and changes are possible and your life really is still ahead of you in multiple ways, trust me. I know people think the term "trust me" means you shouldn't trust them, lol, but truly, you are still so young and still have your whole life ahead of you. So many new situations and changes and improvements still have lots of time to happen at that age.

It's commendable that you don't want to be without your own income and rely on your fiance's solely, as that really is the best and ideal situation. But perhaps you and he could temporarily arrange for this on the basis that once you move to his town, it will be easier anyway in practical terms for you to start job-hunting there?

Also think about how there are some times in a committed couple's life where inevitably one person does have to rely on the other partner's income for a period of time -- often this will be necessary when, for example, a woman comes to a point in pregnancy where she has to take leave from work to have the baby and then have maternity leave which may or may not be paid, or even decide to stay home for the child's young years. Or the roles may be reversed -- some dads stay at home. Or either partner can lose a job unexpectedly and the couple are living on one person's income before and until another job is found.

Life does this to even established couples who normally have a job each, so there's no reason why a couple should feel that this is something that just must not ever be the case. Sometimes it becomes the case for a while.

You and he could set yourselves a goal of, say, six months job-searching while living there. I think that as long as two people set up a plan rather than go into something feeling like it's indefinite and might never end (you both relying on his income alone), things feel more comfortable for both parties.

Goals and timeline plans help things feel more under control, and even if you go over the timeline and haven't found a job yet, you sit down together again and re-set, always with a forward plan.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 7:28 am

It would be nice if paid maternity leave was common in the US.

When I was 27, I didn't have an inkling about anything. I just went from one place to another. I am much better off now, and I'm more than twice your age. I'm even in better physical shape than when I was 27.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 7:59 am

I'm also twice your age and in pretty good health. When I had my physical recently she told me to "have a nice summer."

Is it that Aspies take longer to figure out the "activities of daily life" that normal people master at a younger age or that some of us don't stop learning, so we eventually do figure stuff out? The guys I work with have a lot more health issues than I do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 6:03 pm

We tend to figure out stuff when we continue to try.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 6:28 am

I think I've always felt the wrong age to what I am, because I've never related to people of my own age yet have always felt the pressure to do so. Now, in my 40's, I feel much younger in most aspects of life, but older in others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 9:20 am

By the time you get in your 40's, it's good to be young.

I hope I don't get old when I'm in my 60's.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 11:39 pm

I feel like I've bulldozed several lifetimes of thought and experience so far and often question whether I'll ever catch a break in the ferocious folds of undergrowth where it all means something. If you find yourself feeling younger down the line, perhaps all that wading you've done in the waters of life that's made you feel an ancient wreck will mean you have a mighty fine boat to drift around in! That's how I try to place such feelings anyhow.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

Sometimes it's all about your circumstances - at 28 I felt pretty old, in a failing marriage, living day-to-day and thinking - that's it, that's my lot. At 35, I feel free and playful :) - in my mind's eye I'm 26.
I'm free to be my childlike self and I don't have anyone around trying to change me, criticizing me, comparing me to other people. Wish I could keep this feeling forever.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________________

okay i am 34. and i feel old, in that my brain and body are weak, slow, exhausted. and i do not have the energy or desire to do much of anything anymore. when i was 18-21, i felt like i had more energy. and when i was under 12 i was more emotionally resilient. things have been going downhill for a long time, due to the aging process. among other things. and things were never that great to begin with. academically stupider, socially awkward. now it's like i can barely process the slightest social interaction or conversation. brain totally foggy.

and i sleep less than i used to. allegedly, when someone gets old, they need less sleep. and i go to bed 9 or 10pm now. which is earlier than when i was 27. your age. but i have always gone to bed early. just that in college, not practical b/c precious lil "people" made too much noise. :roll:

and i tend to sleep only on my back now. while back then both back and stomach.

likewise, got other vague, chronic medical issues. problems. challenges. situations. but, after reading the rules of Wrong Planet, paranoid that if i specify what those problems are, that i will get banned.

age related problems or something

but weight?

at the end of 7th grade: 100 lb.

stayed inside almost the whole summer. clinically depressed. gorged. a lot. angry about bullying. puberty. later diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder. autism.

beginning of 8th grade, 108lb.

does not sound like a lot, but it took a lot of binging to get there.

9th to 12th grade, 115 - 130#.

age 20, went from 120 to 135 pounds in one quarter. 10 weeks. gorging.

then dropped to 125#.

age 30, weight dropped to 112#

and as of this morning. 6am. today. weighed 105#

5 foot 3 inch

asian

chinese

small frame

light bones

physically weak

appetite though.

appetite shot

eat the slightest thing and feel bloated

that could be a bad thing, in that if i eat more, get fat. gain weight.

it could be a good thing. b/c sooner or later will run out of $$. going to end up panhandling.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 2:55 am

I'm four years older than you and I am thin. Did you change your eating habits?

I work out three times a week for a half hour and that helps maintain my weight and I also watch what I eat and lost a few pounds.

I have felt old since I was about 24. That always offended my husband lol whenever I called myself old because he is ten years older than me. My metabolism has always changed. It has always slowed down and then sped up. Work outs makes it go faster and it helps maintains your weight but you still have to watch what you eat. Just don't eat a lot and only eat at each meal and don't have big portions. I get full quickly anyway because my stomach shrunk because I made it that way by eating less food when I was dieting in my teens.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

I used to eat loads and not do much exercise, but I was still so thin. But now I am about 3 stone heavier than I used to be, and my lifestyle hasn't changed that much. My mum said to me that I'm not a 'youngster' any more, and that I will have more flab round my middle unless I don't eat at all. So I just feel sad that I am not classed as 'young' any more. I'm not ready to be a 100% adult yet. I still want to be, like, 20. I know 20 is adult but you can still get away with being a bit naive and a little emotionally immature.

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2017, 7:42 pm

Yes. I am 27 and feel the same way.