Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 11:36 am

Sadly, I think the only thing we really can do is ignore it. We're always being told to ignore trolls and bullies anyway, so why not? It just shows that if they think we're stupid and gullible enough to even reply to the spam just for being on the spectrum, they're dead wrong.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

alex wrote:
This is the reason. We've been pretty good at catching the spam and we had stopped it for a while but this is definitely the worst it has been. I live on the west coast so when I woke up at 7:30am I immediately got rid of everything.
Canadian Penguin wrote:
Moderating or waiting to post may have to be an option, but I'd be uneasy about it especially within support forums. Some people join to get immediate feedback and aren't looking to wait until they can get answers to their questions. It could work if there is an active moderation group so that the time period is kept as short as possible.

phpBB does have other methods to help mitigate the spamming. What has been tried and what has not I, obviously, cannot answer though I'm sure some of been investigated. Don't know if it can limit new users to starting only one topic (thread). *edit* It's apparently possible.

It's all very well letting people (who are looking for urgent help) post things without a delay so they know their post is there straight away (for peace of mind), but then when they check back later for the answers they won't be able to find their thread as it is buried under 8 pages of spam.

And, anyone here trying to help someone who needs urgent help also is in trouble as they won't find the real threads mixed in with all the duplicated spam threads.

There MUST be a way of limiting the number of posts (perhaps per day) until such time as a moderator says OK you're fine.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

Is there some way we could redirect all of these Vashikarian black magic postings onto another website? Like maybe a website that is...the mortal enemy of WP? Like Kiwi Farms? :evil: :lol: :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 3:17 am

It stated flooding in at 1 am pacific time today.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 3:33 am

alex wrote:
This is the reason. We've been pretty good at catching the spam and we had stopped it for a while but this is definitely the worst it has been. I live on the west coast so when I woke up at 7:30am I immediately got rid of everything.
Canadian Penguin wrote:
Moderating or waiting to post may have to be an option, but I'd be uneasy about it especially within support forums. Some people join to get immediate feedback and aren't looking to wait until they can get answers to their questions. It could work if there is an active moderation group so that the time period is kept as short as possible.

phpBB does have other methods to help mitigate the spamming. What has been tried and what has not I, obviously, cannot answer though I'm sure some of been investigated. Don't know if it can limit new users to starting only one topic (thread). *edit* It's apparently possible.

The bolded is the real problem with this forum... There isn't an active moderation group, that enforces the simple rules. The forum has 5 mods and that's not enough for a forum this size, with multiple sub-forums. Even then, I seen mods online and actively posting. Yet they don't remove the posts. Yesterday for example, pages of posts stayed up for over 12 hours with mods actively posting.

My advice, get a few more mods. Look for coherent posters, with different times of activity (try to cover as much hours as possible). Another annoyance, but something I seen on every other forum. When a mod edits another members post; they should be required to mark it as such, with a short explanation.

AspieUtah wrote:
Are "users" blocked by account name or IP address? I would be blocking any IP based on a single abuse. But, then, I am a little more strong-armed than most users.

I am sure they do block IP Addresses. But the other problem is it's not hard to change (also does't cost anything).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 4:46 am

"Sewage" is one word of calling it. I just call it f*****g annoying s**t posted by f*****g annoying wankers. :lol:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 8:34 am

OMG they cleared it out and now it's back again even worse!! Whole page of it. Talk about a visual sensory nightmare to Aspies, to boot.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

Could they range block the whole country that these spam attacks are originating from?

At least restrict new posters in their ability to create threads, you should have to post in the introduction forum before being able to post on the rest of the forum.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:08 am

harry12345 wrote:
There MUST be a way of limiting the number of posts (perhaps per day) until such time as a moderator says OK you're fine.

THIS.

Limit their posts to two a day for the first two weeks. Then if they really need support, they get it from their first two posts. Done.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 9:31 am

Now it's on TWO different forums! As if one isn't enough! Soon, every subforum will be littered with it!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:10 am

IstominFan wrote:
Now it's on TWO different forums! As if one isn't enough! Soon, every subforum will be littered with it!

I just spent a chunk of time cleaning out GAD. It would be really helpful if you could mention which forum has been hit when you post something like this so the mod who reads it can find it quickly without going through the whole site.

All the accounts involved in this morning's wave have been banned so that will hopefully stop the spamming outside of GAD as well.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:22 am

Jacoby wrote:
Could they range block the whole country that these spam attacks are originating from?

At least restrict new posters in their ability to create threads, you should have to post in the introduction forum before being able to post on the rest of the forum.

VPN will get around that.

Adamantium wrote:
IstominFan wrote:

I just spent a chunk of time cleaning out GAD. It would be really helpful if you could mention which forum has been hit when you post something like this so the mod who reads it can find it quickly without going through the whole site.

All the accounts involved in this morning's wave have been banned so that will hopefully stop the spamming outside of GAD as well.

Well, the spammers profile is usually linked in the moderators attention forum and when the trash is reported. You should be able to look at their profile and see all posts.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

SH90 wrote:
Well, the spammers profile is usually linked in the moderators attention forum and when the trash is reported. You should be able to look at their profile and see all posts.

This is true, but also time consuming.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

Adamantium wrote:
SH90 wrote:

This is true, but also time consuming.

Then get more moderators. 13 Hours, with multiple people reporting it and moderators actively posting... You're basically asking regular members to do all the work and then when mods feels like it, they will do something. Get more mods and assign them to their favorite sub forum. It would a good start to combat them, then form a defense (but that would limit Alex's open help approach).

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

Alex could update the decrepit forum software too, just sayin'. If he asked for donations I doubt he'd even have to pay for it.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

Pages of garbage again on GAD, 8:20am CDT. Surely time to prevent multiple postings by new "users"? Actually, just automatically banning users who include "91" in their subject line would solve most of the problem at the moment!