HELP: I want a girl so badly

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 8:42 pm

I'm really hurting at a low point right now because I never had the opportunity to get any resources to date a girl before. And it looks like I'll be stuck in the same pattern for another year because I don't want to have to study/work at the same time. I'm feeling depressed and almost suicidal at this point. My mom wants to shut me down. If she were really a caring parent to her adult son, she would not shut my depression and venting down. She just tells me I need to work on myself, but it's not going to happen because I lost all motivation. She just told me that I should take a dose of Lorazapam. I want my life to begin. I feel so lonely and distant. I spent the last 5 years after school being socially isolated and sitting at my computer desk. While that's an overstatement, it does describe the majority of my hours.

My sleeping habits suck too. I also have to wear a device in bed for sleep apnea, and I can't stop focusing on the machine.

I also had recent heartbreak involving a cute girl and a newer guy, whom I know both from the same group I go with every Thursday. He has a car and a job, I have none of those. I'm also going to be awkward with my speech impediments and ticks. I'll never get a neurotypical girl. I like a lot of Aspie girls, but they are rare. I don't want to date anyone who has any "special" needs, but it seems like I'll have to settle. It's painful to think about this cute guy and girl together, but I can't always stop thinking about it. I can't get an unskilled job either because I'm too physically slow and uncoordinated for one. I can't even seem to do the slightest thing to improve myself in the short time, because of my physical limitations. If I do meet a girl and we go out together, I hope she is a cute or attractive one. The desire for my ex-girlfriend faded away quickly. Who knows if I'm even capable of the emotional aspects of a relationship? I want to at least share physical affection or intimacy.

I want to start meeting girls immediately without having to go to online dating. Women always have an easier time looking for dates online than men do.

Another topic. I feel like I just come on this forum and post to spew out things that I don't really mean to say, especially in PPR. I probably pissed a lot of people off.

I feel like dear God has left me behind and left me hanging.

I hope someone responds within an hour, it's so depressing being sad and alone.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 8:46 pm

K_Kelly,

no one is asking you to do something you don't like.

Last edited by ZachGoodwin on 12 Jun 2017, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm

What do you mean?

Oh, and even I am tired of spewing my rants and advice for help online, but I can't go cold-turkey off the internet and expect me to feel more sane.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

I didn't understood – you said you never had resources to date a girl but you also mentioned your ex-gf??

I'm sad and lonely too, and I'm not doing much since I left high school a few years ago. I think I can relate a bit to you, and I know how awful is to want to be with someone but feel completely alienated to a normal social life.

Anyway, you seem to be desiring too many things and actually not doing anything for it. Do you want to meet girls immediately but with no online dating and no social life, how can you do it? Set more reasonable expectations and an action plan to it, then you will have less frustration to add on your feelings.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:03 pm

Hmm. Long answer -
You certainly don't read like a happy person and that's unfortunate for you.
In many ways, not the least of which in regard to your problem is that people are generally more attracted to happy, upbeat, positive, easygoing, confident people. That noted though, individual tastes can vary, and perhaps you can capitalize on those? After all, many women find shy, sensitive men attractive. Especially those who have been mistreated by macho, "alpha" types trampling them for the sake of their own egos. Such women may also find men who are able to be open and honest about their struggles and vulnerabilities to be appealing, because they're relatable. I have been told this by women before.
As to depression and venting - perhaps your mother is just over-saturated. If you behave this way around her a lot, she may have reached a limit of what she can take from you, and is directing you elsewhere - perhaps places not entirely helpful, like into a medication bottle. It is draining to be around someone who just constantly unloads on you. Parents may feel that part of being an adult is learning to manage yourself, hence her telling you to work on yourself in your own way.
I too have spent far too long feeling like I was sitting in life's waiting room, waiting for things to start. Like if I could just get this done, then I'd be living life. Or if that situation was different, well then I could start getting going. There is a saying - "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
This is your life. Now. You're breathing in and out, you're having experiences every day. This is it. This is what you're going to remember in the future, your experience of being alive. It's started already. It's a cliche, but making the most of what you have now in the present really is worthwhile. I find mindfulness practice useful in this way.
Also constantly dwelling on your problems and letting them be your life isn't helpful. I've done far too much of this too. Another saying I ran across - "don't let your struggle become your story."
I took that to mean a shift in focus. Instead of navel-gazing about everything you don't have, everything that's wrong with you, and impotently pining for situations that could only fix every problem you've ever had, look to improving what you can do right now instead, and make your life something other than just all these problems.
Interests help, I found. Shifting focus away from yourself, from self-obsession, and onto a topic you find interesting and engaging. This can ironically often be easier for autistics, if you can jump on a special interest.
This can help people engage with you. Instead of being a self-obsessive person, constantly venting your troubles, you're instead coming across as someone who is passionate and interested about something, and it can be very energizing and help to take you out of yourself and your issues. Even if a woman doesn't share your interest, at least she may be interested in you for being a passionate and externally engaged person. Step away from the computer! :wink:
Perhaps you could try something more active, to improve your physical limitations? What could you do that would improve your coordination, working speed and awkwardness? Perhaps physical training, like a form of martial arts? Or dance? This could teach your brain some physical grace and improve your movement.
I sympathize on the speech issues, I have this too. But when I do have to speak, I try to "own" it. Yes, I speak strangely, softly, and in a highly idiosyncratic way, and people don't always understand my speech. But that's part of what I am. Just something about me, like the colour of my hair. I'm not suggesting you don't make improvements - I have had speech therapy in the past, and am in the process of organizing surgery to correct some of my physical dysphonia. Nonverbally, I learn to sign. Have you considered similar methods, to improve your speech issues? All I mean is you don't have to equate some speech problems with absolute, negative conclusions that only reach from A to B - A) you have a speech problem. B) you'll never get a girlfriend because of it. It doesn't have to be that simple.
I too have sleeping issues - not apnea, but severe delayed sleep phase syndrome and insomnia. Again, improvements can be worked on - I'm currently overhauling my methods. I no longer take the sleeping drugs I was on, switched to herbal remedies, changed my lifestyle to better enforce a sleep schedule, and am organizing to take sleep-related CBT. Have you thought of any ways you could improve your sleep, even with the machine? Talked to the doctor who put you on it? Look into alternative ways to strengthen your respiratory muscles, if the machine is just too intrusive for you? I once read that learning to play physically difficult wind instruments, such as a clarinet, or instruments that require specialized techniques of circular breathing such as the didgeridoo, can actually cure patients of potentially harmful sleep apnea. Might be worth research.
I wouldn't envy women in online dating too quickly - many, if not all, get harassed just for being a woman and dating online. They get men spamming them with lewd messages, asking them for sex, sending them pictures of their penises, etc. Again, women have told me these things, of their experiences using tindr.
Why so focused on a potential partner's physical aspects? Even if she was a woman with special needs, or another autistic, it may be more helpful to focus on finding a woman you're actually compatible with, regardless of how "cute" she is.
Eh, I don't even read in the politics, religion and philosophy forum anymore, it's all just American politicians. If you can't contain yourself in there, maybe give that forum a rest for a while.
I hope you can get proactive and start to help yourself out. You deserve to be happy and live a fulfilling life, and you often read like you're very down and not doing well. I wish you success. :)

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 12:00 am

C2V wrote:
Hmm. Long answer -
You certainly don't read like a happy person and that's unfortunate for you.
In many ways, not the least of which in regard to your problem is that people are generally more attracted to happy, upbeat, positive, easygoing, confident people. That noted though, individual tastes can vary, and perhaps you can capitalize on those? After all, many women find shy, sensitive men attractive. Especially those who have been mistreated by macho, "alpha" types trampling them for the sake of their own egos. Such women may also find men who are able to be open and honest about their struggles and vulnerabilities to be appealing, because they're relatable. I have been told this by women before.
As to depression and venting - perhaps your mother is just over-saturated. If you behave this way around her a lot, she may have reached a limit of what she can take from you, and is directing you elsewhere - perhaps places not entirely helpful, like into a medication bottle. It is draining to be around someone who just constantly unloads on you. Parents may feel that part of being an adult is learning to manage yourself, hence her telling you to work on yourself in your own way.
I too have spent far too long feeling like I was sitting in life's waiting room, waiting for things to start. Like if I could just get this done, then I'd be living life. Or if that situation was different, well then I could start getting going. There is a saying - "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."
This is your life. Now. You're breathing in and out, you're having experiences every day. This is it. This is what you're going to remember in the future, your experience of being alive. It's started already. It's a cliche, but making the most of what you have now in the present really is worthwhile. I find mindfulness practice useful in this way.
Also constantly dwelling on your problems and letting them be your life isn't helpful. I've done far too much of this too. Another saying I ran across - "don't let your struggle become your story."
I took that to mean a shift in focus. Instead of navel-gazing about everything you don't have, everything that's wrong with you, and impotently pining for situations that could only fix every problem you've ever had, look to improving what you can do right now instead, and make your life something other than just all these problems.
Interests help, I found. Shifting focus away from yourself, from self-obsession, and onto a topic you find interesting and engaging. This can ironically often be easier for autistics, if you can jump on a special interest.
This can help people engage with you. Instead of being a self-obsessive person, constantly venting your troubles, you're instead coming across as someone who is passionate and interested about something, and it can be very energizing and help to take you out of yourself and your issues. Even if a woman doesn't share your interest, at least she may be interested in you for being a passionate and externally engaged person. Step away from the computer! :wink:
Perhaps you could try something more active, to improve your physical limitations? What could you do that would improve your coordination, working speed and awkwardness? Perhaps physical training, like a form of martial arts? Or dance? This could teach your brain some physical grace and improve your movement.
I sympathize on the speech issues, I have this too. But when I do have to speak, I try to "own" it. Yes, I speak strangely, softly, and in a highly idiosyncratic way, and people don't always understand my speech. But that's part of what I am. Just something about me, like the colour of my hair. I'm not suggesting you don't make improvements - I have had speech therapy in the past, and am in the process of organizing surgery to correct some of my physical dysphonia. Nonverbally, I learn to sign. Have you considered similar methods, to improve your speech issues? All I mean is you don't have to equate some speech problems with absolute, negative conclusions that only reach from A to B - A) you have a speech problem. B) you'll never get a girlfriend because of it. It doesn't have to be that simple.
I too have sleeping issues - not apnea, but severe delayed sleep phase syndrome and insomnia. Again, improvements can be worked on - I'm currently overhauling my methods. I no longer take the sleeping drugs I was on, switched to herbal remedies, changed my lifestyle to better enforce a sleep schedule, and am organizing to take sleep-related CBT. Have you thought of any ways you could improve your sleep, even with the machine? Talked to the doctor who put you on it? Look into alternative ways to strengthen your respiratory muscles, if the machine is just too intrusive for you? I once read that learning to play physically difficult wind instruments, such as a clarinet, or instruments that require specialized techniques of circular breathing such as the didgeridoo, can actually cure patients of potentially harmful sleep apnea. Might be worth research.
I wouldn't envy women in online dating too quickly - many, if not all, get harassed just for being a woman and dating online. They get men spamming them with lewd messages, asking them for sex, sending them pictures of their penises, etc. Again, women have told me these things, of their experiences using tindr.
Why so focused on a potential partner's physical aspects? Even if she was a woman with special needs, or another autistic, it may be more helpful to focus on finding a woman you're actually compatible with, regardless of how "cute" she is.

Well you are right with my mom feeling over-saturated.

What special interests can I develop outside the computer?

Even if a girl I meet IS compatible for me, if she doesn't have a sense of "cuteness" or any physical attractive qualities at all, it simply would fail to be a good relationship. I have no choice which girls I'm attracted to.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:22 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Even if a girl I meet IS compatible for me, if she doesn't have a sense of "cuteness" or any physical attractive qualities at all, it simply would fail to be a good relationship. I have no choice which girls I'm attracted to.

attraction is a very multifaceted experience that cannot be perfectly conceived before attraction is met in an individual. your idea of attractive may fly straight out the window upon meeting the right woman who doesn’t stack with the criteria you had in mind as ideal... she shatters it beyond disrepair and creates a new image of ideal that’s contradictory to the previous. thing is, don’t you want to be able to give and maintain the best impression you can when you unexpectedly meet her? meeting the right woman, while you are not yet the right man, even if she takes to loving you... that relationship won’t last long before draining her to the point of flight(would it never cross your mind with regular worry as to why she’d choose to stay with you under your current outlook?).

a safe standard to focus upon for disciplined self correction when there isn’t a woman in your life to rejoice in her approval, and experience a defeat upon her disapproval... is in assessing your intentions and self. if a hypothetical man similar to you in this moment were to date a hypothetical beloved daughter of yours(you, an older man than now), would you approve of the pairing or would you worry for her future? if you wouldn’t approve and would worry, you won’t approve of yourself, and will naturally worry in the form of insecurity because there’s no hiding one’s true intent and self from the subconscious no matter how many justifications the conscious mind makes to successfully fool itself justified.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm

It hurts bad. I can't stop thinking about how they are happy together and I am not. The bad news is that I can't avoid contact with them. I love this group, but this is destroying me. I'm being killed inside. I feel alienated from the friendship and dating world.

I thought this girl was rather cute too. We even exchanged phone numbers and she told me we can go to the summer local parties earlier this year.

I actually did try inviting her couple times but her mom had no money. I can't plan dates either. I want to know how.