Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 10:37 am

Both my parents are christian, and my father has was talking about a news story about a kid who told his parents he wasn't christian, and my dad said that he would've kicked the kid out of the house. I'm not christian, havn't really been christian for four years, but if i tell him that im not, he'll kick me out. what sould i do?

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 11:42 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2005, 11:56 am

Or mention article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Quote:
ARTICLE 2:
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 12:00 pm

I don't know if I'd all out lie about it but I'd certainly avoid the question.

You know, its an old saying "God has no grandchildren" meaning that parent can bring a child up in a faith but the child has to make his/her decision. Most young adults break away and then decide if they want to come back or not. Its unfortunte that your father has taken such a hard line.

BeeBee

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 12:46 pm

"Christian" is just a label. Labels tend to divide people. I would not worry about this one way or the other. The truth is free from all such labels.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 6:31 pm

You gotta move out sometime anyway, just take it as a hint and plan accordingly. You've got a job now? It's the natural next step.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 11:06 pm

Point out a verse in the Bible stating he should treat everyone equally. It's in their somewhere, most likely the New Testament. Christians who force their religion are the reason I'm not the kind to run around screaming "I'm Cristian!", I just tell people in religous conversations. I don't like invading peoples thoughts or forcing beliefs, etc.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 6:54 am

If they were true Christians then they wouldn't kick you out.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2005, 4:09 am

If they were true NICE people they wouldnt kick you out. Christians arent nicer than other nice people. They are just as divided as others. They might be mean or nice, that depends.

If it was me I would have become an atheist and left the house. But luckily my parents arent extemely religious, but I still am atheist though.

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2005, 6:36 am

lol @ Fiddler

I don't think anything from the U.N. is enforceable within the United States

we have our own crazy laws!

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2005, 6:37 am

yeah, it seems you may need to just wing it and pretend otherwise

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:12 am

They probably won't, but they'll probably take away your Christmas presents and Easter eggs as a way of bribing you back...

I don't think being kicked out happens that often, it depends how far they take their religion. If there just typical every day Christians who aren't complete nuts they won't kick you out. Have you heard them make comments about non-Christians? You should probably study what they think about them before you make any comments. Either way, there's no reason to tell them unless you feel you absolutely have to.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 10:53 am

I have 5 kids. We raised/are raising all of them in our chosen expression of the christian faith.

Our adult daughter (22) is out on her own and has chosen to fully embrace the christianity of her youth for herself. Our adult son (20) lives at home and has chosen to become agnostic. Our other kids are 14 (christian), 11 and 7 (too young to make a decision yet).

I love them all and treat them all the same.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 7:51 pm

God did create you with free will. I don't know what your Dad is thinking about, but kicking you out is not a solution for raising you or to try and bring you back to the faith.

Fiddler wrote:
Or mention article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Quote:
ARTICLE 2:
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

Anything from the UN is not worth the paper it is written on within the borders of the US.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 8:14 pm

I would avoid the subject entirely. You have no obligation to broach the issue, so if it comes up, he would have to outright question you: "Are you a Christian?".

If it comes up on other terms, then try to focus on the areas that you agree on. For example, if you believe in a God, then talk about that, don't get trapped arguing about whether the Christian God is the only or right one there is....

I can relate to this, b/c I'm agnostic, and my dad just visited me, he's a devout Christian and had raised us as such. He did ask me if I was going to church, and when I said no, he didn't push the issue.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 12:17 am

Sorry, the above post was mine...I accidentally posted in mutant's name.