Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

samuraivader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

Has anyone interest led o neurosis/psychosis?

My lifelong obssesive interest has been Catholic Church, even when I was atheist. One month ago I converted to the Catholic Church, then strange things started happening to me. Now I'm not sure if this is from God, from a devil or if I'm crazy (some kind of bipolar).

I want to know if there is a (traditional) Catholic here who could help me. I would love specially if he knows things about demons, mental disorders and/or God's calling. I'm really confused.

Thanks, sorry for english.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

Its more often the other way around. Neurosis leads to an obsessive interest in something.

But there might be cases of the opposite.

In your case...it sounds like you're hinting at something even beyond neurosis (maybe be psychosis?).

What kind of "strange things" have happened to you - if you don't mind me asking?

samuraivader

15 Jun 2017, 3:28 pm

Catholic Church is a lifelong interest.

The problem is that I doubt if psichiatry is atually a science. Look for example for "Is psychiatry the science of lies?".

The world doesn't believe anymore in the supernatural. If we follow psychiatry, all the profets and saints could have diagnosed with some disorder. That's why I prefer a (traditional) catholic who knows a lot about these topics, but I accept any comment.

Thanks.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

samuraivader wrote:
Has anyone interest led o neurosis/psychosis?

My lifelong obssesive interest has been Catholic Church, even when I was atheist. One month ago I converted to the Catholic Church, then strange things started happening to me. Now I'm not sure if this is from God, from a devil or if I'm crazy (some kind of bipolar).

I want to know if there is a (traditional) Catholic here who could help me. I would love specially if he knows things about demons, mental disorders and/or God's calling. I'm really confused.

Thanks, sorry for english.

I know you want to hear from Catholics but I thought I answer anyway ( I'm not religious ).

Without knowing what the 'strange things' are it's difficult to give you a more informative answer.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they are in your head and do not come from God or the Devil but I'm not saying your crazy either.

If the 'strange things' are distressing you may need some medical help to alleviate your distress.

If the 'strange things' are not distressing and they are not hurting you or anyone else you still may need medical help as things can progress downhill rapidly.

I think psychiatry is a pseudo-science but does have it's benefits.

As a side note Catholic Guilt can lead to depression and other disorders.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

samuraivader

16 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

Thanks.

I also think psychiatry has some benefits (Asperger's treatment for example), but I have the opinion that some of the neurosis/psychosis things could have some supernatural (evil) cause.

For example, we can relate the symptoms of depression with the description of Hell made by some saints, and mania induces to a lot of sins, specially pride, gluttony and lust. I know that this has probably some genetic factors (and my grandfather could have had some cyclothymic episodes), but there are a lot of things we don't know about the supernatural.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 1:34 pm

samuraivader wrote:
Thanks.

I also think psychiatry has some benefits (Asperger's treatment for example), but I have the opinion that some of the neurosis/psychosis things could have some supernatural (evil) cause.

For example, we can relate the symptoms of depression with the description of Hell made by some saints, and mania induces to a lot of sins, specially pride, gluttony and lust. I know that this has probably some genetic factors (and my grandfather could have had some cyclothymic episodes), but there are a lot of things we don't know about the supernatural.

I'll be brutally honest with you , I don't believe that a neurosis/psychosis things has a supernatural cause and doubt most psychiatrists do either.

I can see how a god fearing Catholic might interpret it that way but can't see how it is beneficial to the sufferer to believe such things - having said that - different strokes for different folks , if it works it works.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

I am a certified CCL (Crazy Cat Lady)!

No, I think I'm a very serious cat lover and pet person. I have had many cats and dogs who lived very long lives.

samuraivader

22 Jun 2017, 8:00 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I'll be brutally honest with you , I don't believe that a neurosis/psychosis things has a supernatural cause and doubt most psychiatrists do either.

I can see how a god fearing Catholic might interpret it that way but can't see how it is beneficial to the sufferer to believe such things - having said that - different strokes for different folks , if it works it works.

I think you're right, it's probably completely natural. Its really interesting how God sometimes sends bad things to bring us back to the good path (sorry for english). God bless you

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2017, 8:31 pm

Hi. I'm a traditional Catholic, being Italian-American. So traditional that I was raised with daily Mass and Catholic schooled all my life. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, granted that they're within my knowledge. Anything having to do with demons, though, you'd better talk to a priest about. That's quite a delicate matter and no lay person, however well-trained, is really suited for handing out advice about it.

Also, if you haven't already read them, the books by Father John Laux are excellent. They're pretty dated, but I think they're even better for that fact. I can imagine you'd really like them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 8:03 pm

samuraivader wrote:
The problem is that I doubt if psichiatry is atually a science. Look for example for "Is psychiatry the science of lies?".

Catholicism isn't a science. Is that a problem too?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2017, 5:05 am

I was obsessively into being respected in certain ways, loving it when it happened, and that made me hate hate HATE it when it didn't happen. I became neurotic about being lied to, being manipulated, etc.