Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:23 pm

To be honest there's probably nothing wrong with the software, it's most likely just configured poorly. Either that or someone got happy with plugins (too many plugins inevitably leads to conflicts among them). As for the spam, for the trillionth time: honey pot, or google's reCAPTCHA, preferably both. Combined they take about 30 minutes to install and test, they're free, and utilizing both technologies is really a no brainer yet here we are.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

May I ask how boycotting WP on the 1st is going to make Alex do anything?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:40 pm

And Jacoby was banned?? What for? I never saw him do anything wrong.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

smudge wrote:

It's not, because he doesn't care... There is room for competition, so someone could start another one and if done right, could be profitable over time.

smudge wrote:

I don't think he is... I think he is boycotting the site in his own way, just left and wrote he was in his location. If he was banned, he would not be able to access his profile and I doubt a mod would write that after.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:47 pm

SH90 wrote:
smudge wrote:

It's not, because he doesn't care... There is room for competition, so someone could start another one and if done right, could be profitable over time.

It took the old set of mods (Cornflake, Tallyman etc.) to actually leave before Alex would update this website before.

The thing is, a new different WP would have to be similar in style to this one, and have similar moderating rules, so people aren't alienated from there.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 4:13 pm

smudge wrote:
It took the old set of mods (Cornflake, Tallyman etc.) to actually leave before Alex would update this website before.

The thing is, a new different WP would have to be similar in style to this one, and have similar moderating rules, so people aren't alienated from there.

I think that or the lack of, is the problem... Clearly, I am not the only one who agrees.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2017, 5:33 pm

smudge wrote:
SH90 wrote:
smudge wrote:

I'm trying to get my other half to agree to do it.
He's not going for it tho because he says no one would use it ...or that there wouldn't be enough members and people would just drift back here... because it appears more active.
:?
Maybe he's right. Pity, really.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:19 am

smudge wrote:

First I've heard of it, I hope it was temporary, sticking up for your alliases and defending yourself against major scrutiny should serve in everyones interests.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jun 2017, 2:12 pm

I've added some more filters to new posters so hopefully that will limit these problems.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

alex wrote:
I've added some more filters to new posters so hopefully that will limit these problems.

This is an excellent start.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:21 pm

I am glad to see something done and hope it works out.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:28 pm

Should be interesting to see what effect this has on the proposed 'industrial action'.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 11:23 pm

Empathy wrote:
smudge wrote:

First I've heard of it, I hope it was temporary, sticking up for your alliases and defending yourself against major scrutiny should serve in everyones interests.

i can confirm that his ban is temporary. :salut:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 12:03 am

Seems odd, while his post can be eccentric. He is one of the few who can debate without making personal attacks (from what I seen)... Yet the mods allow a certain few to do so; a couple have even joined in.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 7:00 am

SH90 wrote:
Seems odd, while his post can be eccentric. He is one of the few who can debate without making personal attacks (from what I seen)... Yet the mods allow a certain few to do so; a couple have even joined in.

I don't get that either. Jacoby seems one of the least troublemaking individuals on this forum.

Thank you Alex for attending to the site. Your efforts are appreciated by many. I can currently see one spam thread and no more than that.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

boofle wrote:
smudge wrote:

I'm trying to get my other half to agree to do it.
He's not going for it tho because he says no one would use it ...or that there wouldn't be enough members and people would just drift back here... because it appears more active. Maybe he's right. Pity, really.

Yeah, he is. We've had members do it, before (start other sites); and, the last one started, that I know-of, is now a ghost town----IIRC, people didn't even visit there, for 6 months.