So Asperger's is a mitigating circumstance for rape?

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 7:50 pm

Seems to be a lot of focus on the Aspergers but he also had ADHD, Bipolar and other comorbid conditions which along with his SSRI medication might have contributed toward his aggressive overtly sexually compulsive behavior.

However it is naive to think forensic psychologists (working in the legal system) don't take into account the likely lack of empathy reported in males with Aspergers tried for murder/rape. What is debated is whether this is lack of empathy is due to Aspergers or whether it's comorbid narcissism, antisocial personality disorder or other types of psychopathy, the jury is (pardon the pun) still out on this one...

Demonique
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2017, 4:16 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
AS people recognize the difference between yes and no. With NT people, everything is a maybe. The lawyer is more likely to be a rapist, because a rapist plays Devil's advocate.

"She described how she has had numerous piercings and tattoos since the attack "just so I can feel like my body is my own and not something he touched."

Like her own object. You're not supposed to pierce, cut, and graffiti something with feelings.

Was she a masochist, intent on self harm, before landing a rapist. Did she ever gravitate toward that kind of situation, and not have time for the nicer guy. Would she have given any of you white knights the time of day, whether then or know. Everyone is rushing to the defense of a person, who may not actually want their help.

You accuse others of white knighting for a rape victim, why are you white knighting for a rapist?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:56 pm

No, I am saying to go full mgtow, be abstinent, if she won't play in good faith. If she's not grateful, I wouldn't be interested. I think my one rule (yes, rule), in a relationship, would be not to embarrass me. For extra credit, flatter me.

I don't personally see how some hyper-modest person ends up alone, with someone she doesn't really like. Can this happen to religious prudes, in public. Do they go drinking with Bill Cosby. Do they wake up, in a frat house. How does this work.

She was not dating-up, she was dating down. She was looking for a scumbag, afaic -- a doormat. I would refuse to be that scumbag, for her.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:20 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
No, I am saying to go full mgtow, be abstinent, if she won't play in good faith. If she's not grateful, I wouldn't be interested. I think my one rule (yes, rule), in a relationship, would be not to embarrass me. For extra credit, flatter me.

I don't personally see how some hyper-modest person ends up alone, with someone she doesn't really like. Can this happen to religious prudes, in public. Do they go drinking with Bill Cosby. Do they wake up, in a frat house. How does this work.

She was not dating-up, she was dating down. She was looking for a scumbag, afaic -- a doormat. I would refuse to be that scumbag, for her.

From the article, which is quoted clearly in the OP:

"Gda Lisa Lawler told prosecuting counsel Shane Costelloe that the now 24-year-old woman was volunteering at the ArcadeCon gaming convention in the hotel on the day in question.

She was preparing a presentation in a meeting room when Hearne entered the room and sat at the back. She became uneasy and moved to leave, but Hearne locked the door and threw her to the ground.

The attack stopped only when another conference worker entered the room using a hotel key card. Gardai were called and Hearne was arrested at the scene. He told gardai he had gone to the convention in the hopes of getting with another woman.

When that woman rejected him he said he had "anger flowing through him" and he then entered the meeting room and attacked his victim
."

So what are you even talking about? This woman was setting up in a conference room, and didn't even know this guy. He was there to meet someone else, who rejected him, so he attacked a stranger. So who the f**k are you even talking about in your comment?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2017, 7:42 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
AS people recognize the difference between yes and no. With NT people, everything is a maybe. The lawyer is more likely to be a rapist, because a rapist plays Devil's advocate.

"She described how she has had numerous piercings and tattoos since the attack "just so I can feel like my body is my own and not something he touched."

Like her own object. You're not supposed to pierce, cut, and graffiti something with feelings.

Was she a masochist, intent on self harm, before landing a rapist. Did she ever gravitate toward that kind of situation, and not have time for the nicer guy. Would she have given any of you white knights the time of day, whether then or know. Everyone is rushing to the defense of a person, who may not actually want their help.

Tell it to Hell's Angels.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:06 pm

Claradoon wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:

Tell it to Hell's Angels.

He's not even making any sense. The woman in the article didn't know the man who attacked her, and he's talking about her like they were dating or something. The guy was there to meet some other woman and when that other woman rejected him he attacked this woman, a stranger to him that he was taking his anger at the other woman out on.

Also, what the hell does "a rapist plays Devil's advocate" even mean? Friedwhatever, this is when your intentional vagueness doesn't work in your favour, because all you are managing to do in this thread is sound like you are really sympathizing with this rapist. Is that your intention? Maybe that's something you should examine about yourself, preferably with a trained psychologist to guide you.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 5:20 am

12 years seems like a good sentence to me. I don't think the range of disabilities will have cut any ice with the judge.

It also says he got concurrent 12 and 6 year sentences for the other offences, so does that mean he'll be in there for 30 years?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:57 am

Asperger's is definitely not a condition which provides an "excuse" for rape. No condition is. But Asperger's even less so.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:41 am

Drake wrote:
12 years seems like a good sentence to me. I don't think the range of disabilities will have cut any ice with the judge.

It also says he got concurrent 12 and 6 year sentences for the other offences, so does that mean he'll be in there for 30 years?

No. Concurrent means that the clock runs down on all the sentences at the same time. Consecutive sentences would add up.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:51 pm

karawhatever wrote:
Also, what the hell does "a rapist plays Devil's advocate" even mean?

Makes excuses.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
20-life sounds good for that...but some part of me is saying 'that's not good enough, castrate the scum!'

(sarc) Then, give hysterectomies to spermjackers.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 3:14 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
karawhatever wrote:
Also, what the hell does "a rapist plays Devil's advocate" even mean?

Makes excuses.

Oh, you mean like intentionally misrepresenting what happened and the relationship between the attacker and victim, like you did in this thread? Is that what rapists do? Do rapists use intentionally vague language to make these excuses? You seem well informed on the topic and to have a lot of insight into the mindset of rapists as well as having sympathy for them and antipathy for victims. That's an interesting pattern.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

You do know that you're coming across as demonizing the victim, don't you? Why this hostility toward the raped woman?

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 9:52 pm

Why would anyone relate autism to masochism?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:17 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

You do realize tattoos and piercings are not really self harm right?...I could see why perhaps she finds it makes her feel more in control of her body to do those things when she chooses to. Also people have various ways of coping with trauma...sometimes it doesn't make sense to outsiders. I say it makes more sense to criticize the rapist not the rape victim. Also its not like she gravitated towards that person, I thought the article said he asked her out or something at some convention and she turned him down, so he decided to hold her prisoner and rape her untill someone could get into the locked room and stop it.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:

You do realize tattoos and piercings are not really self harm right?...I could see why perhaps she finds it makes her feel more in control of her body to do those things when she chooses to. Also people have various ways of coping with trauma...sometimes it doesn't make sense to outsiders. I say it makes more sense to criticize the rapist not the rape victim. Also its not like she gravitated towards that person, I thought the article said he asked her out or something at some convention and she turned him down, so he decided to hold her prisoner and rape her untill someone could get into the locked room and stop it.

Actually it says pretty clearly in the article (and in the OP) that he went to this convention to meet a different woman, and that woman rejected him. That made him angry and he took it out on this stranger, who he found in a conference room alone and attacked her. The woman in the conference room, his victim, was NOT the woman he was there to meet.