Increasing Autistic Manifestation Over Time

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm

I've definitely noticed this and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Or sad that I'm not the only one. Whichever.

There was a time when I was more social, and was about to focus on things to a much greater degree. Now, not so much.

Perhaps it may have something to do with the feeling of being mentally exhausted much of the time, and I never seem to be able to do anything about it.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:40 am

Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that feeling, or seeming to others, more autistic may be a burn out thing of just dropping the act. You finally give it up - stop trying to fit in, stop trying to be normal, stop forcing yourself to do seemingly normal things that take everything you've got, and instead start being what you are and the world is just going to have to deal with it because you can't take this anymore. This might be more common in adults.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:34 am

For humans whether on the spectrum or not, energy etc does decrease bit by bit as one ages.

Work rounds to fit an autistic profile into the non autistic world take energy.

In a professional life it is not unknown to take on supervisory roles, rolls requiring people type skills as one gets older; these can make a significantly greater call on ones energy resources if one is on the spectrum.

In the final few years my father, who I suspect may have been a bit on the spectrum, acted as departmental head to cover sickness of the head. I observed he had to spend unwinding time in the evening alone in the front room with music and the lights out to decompress some days after returning from work.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:11 am

C2V wrote:
Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that feeling, or seeming to others, more autistic may be a burn out thing of just dropping the act. You finally give it up - stop trying to fit in, stop trying to be normal, stop forcing yourself to do seemingly normal things that take everything you've got, and instead start being what you are and the world is just going to have to deal with it because you can't take this anymore. This might be more common in adults.

I think it happens to other, non-autistic, marginalized people and those in physical isolation.