Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

Jeez I just realized that my Vet Tech program is mostly a woman career and it looks like I'm the only guy in the program. Didn't know that til today. And it's college orientation today. But I did it because I love animals.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 3:12 pm

Corny wrote:
Jeez I just realized that my Vet Tech program is mostly a woman career and it looks like I'm the only guy in the program. Didn't know that til today. And it's college orientation today. But I did it because I love animals.

I was the only female in many of my classes in my academic program. It was fine except I was typically excluded from outside of class social outings.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 3:16 pm

Nursing in general is mostly a female carrier field. But don't let that stop you.

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2017, 3:37 pm

Good! You now have better chances to find someone romanticaly interested in you.
The fact that females are the majority in a profession does not mean that it is somehow lesser;less difficult, less important , less fulfilling.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 7:30 pm

Yep that was my thought as well. Making it be easier for me to have a romantic relationship. And forgot to add that my program had 3 other males but me. But it was still really small.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 6:22 am

Gender doesn't matter if you love animals.

Nursing used to be a most female profession. That's changing.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 10:44 am

I thought it is still a mostly female job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 11:58 am

Mostly female, yes....but males in nursing are becoming much more common.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm

Corny wrote:

This is going to be so good for you :mrgreen:

Take it from me, I went into a male dominated field.

AdamWhite
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

Good for you...I am in engineering and the boys to girls ratio is just.....

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm

AdamWhite wrote:
Good for you...I am in engineering and the boys to girls ratio is just.....

I recall towards the end of my program, more girls started to come into it, and the environment in the classrooms started to brighten up. There was a lot more socialization and chatting before and after class and during breaks, and the guys seemed much happier. In fact I would say many of them were outright thrilled that there were girls to talk about their interests with.

For reasons I'm not entirely sure of, girls tend to choose biological sciences and computer science over the engineering and physical science disciplines.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 2:44 am

You lucky dog! I'm half tempted to study nursing school so I can be the only guy in class :D

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mostly female, yes....but males in nursing are becoming much more common.

One time when I was in the ER I had a old male nurse and a young female doctor. I didn't think it was unusual at the time and I still don't. I also had a construction crew at my workplace: the older guys were all supervised by a woman younger than me. I do know I used to volunteer for Medical Lab students to practice blood on since I am a blood donor. Let's just say it was VERY unusual that the mostly female class loved my weird personality: it was not something I had or have ever seen since.

If I was forced to choose, I would take an all female workplace over an all male one.