Will this music return in the next decade?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 12:06 pm

Will we see the return of this type of music in the 2020s https://youtu.be/9ztIpA2gQMo

Since the next decade coming up will be nosgletic for all things 2000s?

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

I'm sorry, but could you clarify exactly what you're looking for? Because to me that just sounds like post-Britpop pop rock, sort of like the Holloways or the Kooks.

It seems like the two major mainstream alternative rock movements in the 00s were the garage rock revival (The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, The Hives, The Vines, The Raveonettes, The Kills, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc.) and the post-punk revival (Bloc Party, Interpol, White Lies, Klaxons, etc.) My prediction with those is that there will be a resurgence of ragged, raw garage rock, because that genre's still going, but it's since gone underground, so it only makes sense that it would pop up again.
I actually think post-punk is going to more or less run out of steam and disappear, though, because the post-punk aesthetic has been so overexposed. That said, those post-punk bands did have a big influence on the new goth bands like Zola Jesus, Grave Babies, and Chelsea Wolfe, so I think goth may have a bright future.

One thing I think may count against the 00s in terms of future nostalgia is how nostalgic that era's music was itself. Even look at the names of those genres - the garage rock REVIVAL and the post-punk REVIVAL. They were very consciously placing themselves in the tradition of music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The most refreshing thing about the 10s is that this decade's indie music has been so forward-thinking, rather than revivalist.

I would say the most novel, innovative things in the 00s may have been what happened in screamo, extreme metal, and downtempo/trip-hop.

When I was a teenager in the 00s, the impression that I got was that this revivalism was a result of technology. We had access to so much new information through the internet, but we didn't know how to take advantage of it just yet, so that access led to a lot of imitation of past cultural movements. In contrast, I think the 10s look the way they do because now we have a sense of how to use and manipulate this technology and information, so artists are mixing and innovating in the arts in ways never before possible. Music isn't naturally evolving the way it used to, but it is being combined in interesting new ways (i.e. black metal + shoegaze = blackgaze, EDM + goth = witch house, hip hop + psychedelia = cloud rap, etc.)