Do You Find Social Interaction To Be Easier As An Adult?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

When you compare it to childhood? or did you find it easier to make friends as a child and now have more issues as a young adult\adult?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm

It is much easier for me now. I am able to use my interests to find activities that get me out into the world.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 12:29 am

I find it easier at the age that I am now. It was very hard for me in high school. It can be a real b***h dealing with most young teenagers.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 2:05 am

Absolutely not. I can barely string a sentence together when I am faced with a situation where I am required to interact with an adult.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm

social interaction before middle school was relatively easy. sometimes i said or did things that someone laughed at me for. but they acted good natured. minimal bullying.

junior high school. bullying. social interaction was hard.

high school. social interaction was awkward.

college. precious lil "people" just ignored me.

and that is "As Good As it Gets."

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2017, 12:59 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
social interaction before middle school was relatively easy. sometimes i said or did things that someone laughed at me for. but they acted good natured. minimal bullying.

junior high school. bullying. social interaction was hard.

high school. social interaction was awkward.

college. precious lil "people" just ignored me.

and that is "As Good As it Gets."

See, this is how it was for me. I remember people being easier to befriend when I was younger but something changed when I was around 10 or 11. People started to act different. My life is more enjoyable than it was past 10 but people seem harder to befriend.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 2:06 am

Around the episode of having school-children and full-occupation it was easier to meet and connect, but rarely that maintained till now, at a periode lots of (dutch) people came around for practical and legal advices, probably they found more socializable with more nonsense people, meanwhile, and quite a bunch got sick and died, too
Just to tired and bored to keep starting, too much nastiness these days too!
Later, i really felt insulted with all the peeps the hub took home who treated me like a doormat, really is that how guests are nowadays? Friendly politeness is less valued then judgemental showoff ?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2017, 5:31 am

It somehow became easier for me, because I was able to choose my way of living and the people around me. I could choose a nerdy high school where I fitted quite well (earlier schools were just the standard ones, not very friendly) and then follow my own path. As I age, I care less and less about "fitting in" and more about just being comfortable with myself. Surprisingly, the social interactions, even if sometimes a bit awkward, became much more enjoyable.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

I find avoiding it is easier as an adult, because I'm not in school or around a lot of people anymore.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:36 am

It was never easy for me, but I did have friends when I was a young child. Then around about the beginning of highschool things went downhill. People changed and became much more complex, expectations drastically increased and I was expected to keep up - and I didn't. I have found it impossible since about the age of 12 to keep social interactions going. All contact I now have is perfunctory, for some purpose. The most I can do with social interaction is within structured interest groups or classes, where I see those people only perhaps once a week, in that context, discussing that topic.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

I find it easier as an adult because I'm no longer forced to interact with people I don't want to interact with.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

tinky2 wrote:
When you compare it to childhood? or did you find it easier to make friends as a child and now have more issues as a young adult\adult?

Oh, gods no! Quite the opposite. I mean, I'm pretty dysfunctional now, but as a kid, I couldn't even speak to anybody. I had no friends at all until the 6th grade, that for only a year until my friend moved away - then I was invisible again for another three years, until we moved to a place where the people were exceptionally friendly.

Once I got a job and started working (in a field that coincided with my primary obsessive interest) I started meeting others with similar interests and made several friends.

Since my career ended, I've gone back to invisible again.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:17 pm

It seems harder as an adult because more is expected from you. I have only one friend now and zero acquaintances. When I was a teen I had several acquaintances and a couple friends.