Involuntary expressions in social situations.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alli
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2005, 12:03 am

Does anyone else find that, when having to look at someone's face, they don't really have any control over their facial expression? I find that I get this... sort of, muscle 'spasm', around my neck, and it's a really nervy, panicked sort of thing. It's a bit odd! Has anyone had anythng similar?

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2005, 1:05 am

Me too. Especially if the person I'm looking at wears a strong expression on her/his face.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 1:14 am

It's hard for me to notice unless I have a mirror

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 1:32 am

I have smiles "stick" sometimes, long after they're appropriate, and have to consciously make my face go neutral. And my stomach clenches up. But I don't think it's just when looking at a face, it's anytime I'm uneasy.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 2:17 am

pyraxis wrote:
I have smiles "stick" sometimes, long after they're appropriate, and have to consciously make my face go neutral.

Whoa, me too! I hate that...

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 6:26 am

Quote:
Does anyone else find that, when having to look at someone's face, they don't really have any control over their facial expression? I find that I get this... sort of, muscle 'spasm', around my neck, and it's a really nervy, panicked sort of thing. It's a bit odd! Has anyone had anythng similar?

Yes, sometimes. Especially when I get nervous or someone is talking about something sad or serious, I get this weird grin I have to fight to supress.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 9:42 am

pyraxis wrote:
I have smiles "stick" sometimes, long after they're appropriate, and have to consciously make my face go neutral.

Not me! My smile is usually conscious, and I stop the effort the moment I turn my head away from the person to whom the smile was directed.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 12:13 am

What I notice is that whether it is not moving the same way as others or moving the same way but in different situations, my face is something that people think is being deliberately used for communication even when it is not. Such as eyes used to look at something are taken as communicating something.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:50 am

I don't smile unless something hilarious is said or happens. When that happens, you get a big real smile out of me. Otherwise i have to work my face as HARD AS I CAN to make a medium smile. Are there surgeries out there to tighten facial muscles? Cause I'm usually happy as hell and my face says "I'm not even f*****g paying attention to the world."

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:09 am

Nomaken wrote:
"I'm not even f*** paying attention to the world."

THAT made me smile.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:25 am

I look at my own face and think to myself, "oh god, that guys mind has gone and didnt leave a forwarding adress"

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 7:38 am

I know the feeling... it's kind of eerie.

Not as bad as when you look up and realise you've written 'REDRUM' all over the mirror.

Feather
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jun 2005, 9:48 am

When trying and failing to follow a conversation, I adopt the 'nod and smile' routine. It becomes problematic when my auditory processing catches up and I realise that I've been smiling and nodding at someone who's just told me their father has died. Yes I have actually done that and it didn't go down too well :(

I smile when nervous but it is a fixed smile that stays too long.

Mostly I have a fairly neutral facial expression. When I find something genuinely funny I am more likely to laugh uncontrollably with tears rolling down my face than smile - I'm a bit all or nothing in that respect - slight upset or disappointment or anger will have me in tears, excitement will have me jumping up and down like a small child, happiness I exhibit near delerium - and I have little control over these responses. Mostly I just drift along in neutral, both in terms of emotions and expression.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 5:58 pm

It depends on the person how I specifically react. If it is someone I couldn't possibly care less about (99% population) I have to fight the impluse to look like I am really, really pissed off. If it is someone I am genuienly interested in, I act and look like the other person just gave me a million dollars. I find it very difficult to remain nuetral with these people, but with people I hate (99%) I can remain nuetral as long as they don't drag it out too long. After a while with those folks, I look like the other person just asked if they could shove a brick up my a**.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 6:05 pm

I look creepy. Its kinda fun.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 9:24 pm

I am creepy. It's really fun. No really, I have multiple sources that can confirm this fact.

My face is in an everlasting blank stare. What's that? You've told a joke? Hahaha (with little enthusiasam)...that's "funny"... I'm kind of boring and emotionless most of the time. My face doesn't usually move.