White students forced to apologize for being white...

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 9:15 am

Work ethic and a cross. Is that the kind of America we want?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 6:31 pm

Rather harmless so don't understand the "indignant outrage"but probably also pointless as the kids will have long forgotten the apology when they start (and they will) capitalizing on their social privilege.

African American educators need to get smart and focus on educating to help "uplift" their black students rather than empty symbolism

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 7:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Rather harmless so don't understand the "indignant outrage"but probably also pointless as the kids will have long forgotten the apology when they start (and they will) capitalizing on their social privilege.

African American educators need to get smart and focus on educating to help "uplift" their black students rather than empty symbolism

Political indoctrination is hardly ever "rather harmless."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 7:45 pm

I just think it goes against any sort of logic, any sort of sense, for a member of a "race" to apologize for being a member of that "race."

They were born that way. They didn't become that "race" in order to oppress somebody.

It's like me apologizing for having a Roman nose. That nose didn't do anything to anybody.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
the kids will have long forgotten the apology when they start (and they will) capitalizing on their social privilege

They are middle schoolers, so it's not like they are too young to remember. Plus, this was likely humiliating for many students, and emotions like that increase the chance of a memory being remembered. I've seen many middle-aged adults talk about how they were humiliated in class in middle school, and they still hate the teacher/ subject/ etc. If anything, the kids WILL remember this apology and resent the minorities. Kind of counterproductive.

Last edited by 248RPA on 22 Jun 2017, 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

AspieUtah wrote:

248RPA wrote:
I've seen many middle-aged adults talk about how they were humiliated in class in middle school, and they still hate the teacher/ subject/ etc. If anything, the kids WILL remember this apology and resent the minorities. Kind of counterproductive.

In Australia we had "National Sorry Day" a few years ago where we collectively apologised to aboriginal people for all the cruel things that were done to them

The act of apologising was hardly political indocrination and afterward we all went back to our privileged life and the aboriginals went back to their less privileged reality.

The intention behind apologising is not to humiliate those who apologise but to acknowledge the wrongs done whether aboriginals in Australia or African Americans. I think this hardly merits the indignation or lingering resentment which (I suspect) would have still been there as prejudice regardless of the kiddies were asked to apologise or not

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2017, 11:44 pm

The difference: they were apologizing for BEING WHITE, for having "privilege" as a white person AT PRESENT.

whereas you were apologizing for PAST injustices, not merely for being of your race. It is known that you, as a white person, are not culpable for what happened in the past.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 1:52 am

The stunt pulled on those kids was indefensible. That said, it's completely unjustifiable to blame the whole left of the American political spectrum for this example of idiocy. After all, are all conservatives responsible for right wing mass murderers like Timothy McVey?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The difference: they were apologizing for BEING WHITE, for having "privilege" as a white person AT PRESENT.

Umm according to the transcript they were apologizing for receiving white privilege rather than being white

Having said that the teacher was perhaps overeaching her jurisdiction

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 6:23 am

Why should one be forced to apologize for having a privilege?

It's almost like apologizing for having a toilet while your neighbor has an outhouse.

I would feel bad if the reason for the outhouse state was some sort of discrimination....but the neighbor with the toilet didn't cause the discrimination (most likely), nor actively practices discrimination against the neighbor with the outhouse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 7:00 am

How's your daughter doing, Cyberdad?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jun 2017, 8:34 am

get your kids out of the public school system ASAP

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:38 am

No....while some public schools suck, others are quite decent. Most don't descend into the political correctness of the above case.

America is not going to the dogs just yet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

248RPA wrote:
I've seen many middle-aged adults talk about how they were humiliated in class in middle school, and they still hate the teacher/ subject/ etc. If anything, the kids WILL remember this apology and resent the minorities. Kind of counterproductive.

In Australia we had "National Sorry Day" a few years ago where we collectively apologised to aboriginal people for all the cruel things that were done to them

The act of apologising was hardly political indocrination and afterward we all went back to our privileged life and the aboriginals went back to their less privileged reality.

The intention behind apologising is not to humiliate those who apologise but to acknowledge the wrongs done whether aboriginals in Australia or African Americans. I think this hardly merits the indignation or lingering resentment which (I suspect) would have still been there as prejudice regardless of the kiddies were asked to apologise or not

Yes but apologizing for wrongs you didn't commit never really makes sense and what does it do exactly...how does that work towards a solution. Also what is to say the minorities being apologized to want that, I mean really yeah an apology for the children of the children of the children of the people who committed the atrocities accomplishes so much. I'd think there are better ways to acknowledge it than something that is awkward for everyone involved.

I mean how did the aboriginals feel about it? It seems like no one ever mentions how the people being apologized to feel about it, if they think it helps or if they'd prefer other approaches to acknowledge the past.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:54 am

Jacoby wrote:
get your kids out of the public school system ASAP

Or change how public schools are set up, as in make them better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 8:56 am

AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Are they friggin' nuts?

I would never apologize for being a cis-male who is white.

In many ways, I am not privileged.

In my life and experience, I've never hard anybody say that a white person should apologize for being white. This kind of stuff has just got to stop!

I have written elsewhere on WrongPlanet.net that I was cleaning public toilets at and beyond 15 years of age. Does that give me a life-time pass from "apologizing" and obsessing about my whitie-white, whiteness? This "teacher" scum needs to be made into an example for others who think this is, in any way, American. F**king idiots. If they want to live in totalitarian regimes like, say, Dennis Rodman, let them fly to North Korea for tea. They'll never get out of there, of course, but they will learn to love their dear leader.

Seriously, between the BABA JI s**tstorms and the SJW wannabes, I am near to the point of jumping this ship.

Is THIS what WrongPlanet.net was created, designed and hoped for all those years ago?!?

calm the f**k down...