Hearing other conversations bothers me

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2017, 9:25 am

When people are having conversations around me say at the store I often wish they would be quiet and in my head I say shut up shut up. Is this from noise sensitivity?

Also on another note I often say in my head please don't talk to me when passing people at work. I don't want to be unfriendly but I secretly don't want trivial talk at that moment. Anyone feel this way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:39 am

I'm glad you're not making a "rukkus" about this.

Seriously, welcome to WP.

There are times, yes, when I'd rather not talk to people. Like when I watch truckers ply the US highways on YouTube.

Listening in on "trivial conversations" can be useful, though; to occasionally contribute is useful, so you can continue listening. They are trivial, and I wince at times, but these sorts of conversations do give one an idea of how the "real world" is.

NeurodivergentRebel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

I dislike the bustle of the store too. My attention is drawn to conversations around me, an unwelcome distraction. I tend to listen to music when I need a break or am out in public on my own.

Neurodivergent Rebel
http://www.neurodivergentrebel.com

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2017, 3:41 pm

Yes, it bothers me, too, to hear other people around me having conversations. It's very hard for me to talk to people when that's going on. I can't focus very well on the person I'm talking to and I get distracted very easily. So I prefer to have a conversation with someone in private or in a quiet area than in a large crowd. I especially hate it when I have to yell at the person I'm talking to just so that they can hear me. That in itself wears me out and is uncomfortable. Also, when I'm around other people having their own conversations, it's hard for me to choose which conversation to listen to. I can't focus on just one. All it is to me is a bunch of noise instead of people talking. So yes, I can relate to what you're going through.