Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 6:22 pm

I saw this in a car commercial with people in it where it said in writing "real people, not actors". Are they saying that actors aren't real people?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jun 2017, 9:04 pm

I heard that line in more than a few commercials. Actors put on a facade; they play a part that isn't real. Perhaps that's what the commercials mean by real people

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 9:52 pm

Actors are real people but they get paid to follow written scripts and play fictional characters. But this ad and others like it are just using one of their many stupid ways to trick us into thinking the people in them are like "us". Like they're relatable or whatever. And how do we know the commercial isn't lying about them not being real actors? Commercials lie to us all the time. :thumbdown:

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 11:20 pm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:01 pm

It's just a figure of speech.

What they mean is that "these are not fictional characters being played by actors. These are real folks like you being interviewed giving their real reactions to the product being advertised".

Not that that makes the commercial REALLY more credible. But it makes it look credible (maybe for every person shown raving about the product there were fifty folks saying it sucked who were left on the cutting room floor).

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:15 pm

I always thought it meant people you really use the product or service.

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Jun 2017, 1:19 pm

A lot of times the casting director for this type of commercial will hire actual actors who happen to own the product but they are still professionally paid actors.