Does this sound like asd in my daughter?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Anne8005
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2017, 4:14 pm

hi all i just wanted to ask your opinion on a few things. doctors not sure whether she willl be suitable for ados test.

i started noticing these behaviour when she was 2 or 3 she would be shy in front of meeting others, hiding behind my legs she never shared toys and used to control games she would invite me to play but id have to do what she says. she had slight speech delay but is over it now she used to use 3 different forks for dinner for the different foods she didnt really have any friends she used to be quite violent to them. she used to love spinning things too like washing machines etc and lining up toys. she never realy had friends she used to be on her own and even at 18 is isolated at home with no friends and sits alone at breaks.
when she was 13 she had a violent temper smashing doors plates hitting people threatening to kill people etc she got excluded from school twice she was very disruptive in school hiding under tables walking out swearing at teachers she didnt think this was bad she threw water over a teacher when she is angry she just didnt know how to tell them. they described as very intelligent. she used to play with light switches turning them on and off and opening doors and shutting doors repetitively. if she got asked to do something she didnt want to do she would not do it end of she would just turn her body away from you or scream and shout
when in public she cant have people walking behind her i always ask why and she cant say why. sometime i accidently touch her and she throws a meltdown. shes very sensory sensitive. she can be quite controlling i cant do certain things like breath heavily i dont know what i can do. shes very intelligent and gets angry when people dont understand her or understand what she understands. she is very focussed on certain topics such as animals and how things work. she can chat about it for hours and wont stop
these are just some of the behaviour she has and im not sure what i will do if she doesnt have an assessment does it sound like asd?

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2017, 8:39 pm

Get an assessment. There are certainly some traits, but it's difficult to really know for sure in just a paragraph or two.

At 18 it's going to be her choice, obviously, but having an assessment can only help, it will not hurt.

I believe the biggest thing to come out of a positive determination would be to know what she's not alone, that there are others going through the same thing and that many of them are willing to help in any way they can.

Having answers makes it easier to find solutions in dealing with the various issues. It doesn't go away, but you get to learn how to better handle it and recognize its effects. Having a diagnosis, whatever the result, is a good thing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 3:13 am

Between the strong sensory sensitivities, repetitive behavoirs commonly seen in autistics such as spinning things and lining things up and not understanding other people are different she has more than enough autistic traits to justify an assesment.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman