Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:16 pm

If you are bad at math, is this have anything do to with Aspergers? When I do math, I need a calculator, I counted on my fingers too. 1+4, 5+1, 10+4 are easy & other numbers are hard, I went to my mental health exam & the lady asked me math questions, I couldn't answer them from my head, I count it on my fingers.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 12:12 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
If you are bad at math, is this have anything do to with Aspergers? When I do math, I need a calculator, I counted on my fingers too. 1+4, 5+1, 10+4 are easy & other numbers are hard, I went to my mental health exam & the lady asked me math questions, I couldn't answer them from my head, I count it on my fingers.

First I would like to say, adding, subtracting, and multiplication and division is a specific field of mathematics called arithmetic. Most fields of mathematics don't have nearly as many numbers. Some just have symbols and letters and there is really very little counting. So I would not be so quick to say you are bad at math. You might be like me. I struggle with basic arithmetic in my head but I excel at more advanced mathematical subjects. It's unfortunate that those who struggle with mental arithmetic are often discouraged from the field because arithmetic is the very first subject they encounter, and are mislead to believe that is all of mathematics.

Difficulty with mental arithmetic, while not a characteristic of AS, can be a sign of dyscalculia, which is common in those with non-verbal learning disorder, which is similar to and can overlaps with AS.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 12:39 am

I'm good at arithmetic, bad at abstract mathematics.

Who knows, Kitty.....maybe you might be good at abstract math.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 12:45 am

I'm bad at all maths. I'm more of a literature person (writing, spelling, grammar and punctuation).

Even when I'm reading and I see a large number like '20,387', my brain can't seem to register what it says straight away, so it takes a few seconds to pronounce the number in my head. Sometimes I'm too lazy to figure out what number it is and I just read on. But I find it much easier to read when numbers are spelt out in words, like 'twenty-thousand, three-hundred and eighty-seven'.

In maths classes at school I was often told off for spelling out words instead of using figures and symbols. It upped my english grades though. :lol:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sometimes I'm too lazy to figure out what number it is and I just read on. But I find it much easier to read when numbers are spelt out in words, like 'twenty-thousand, three-hundred and eighty-seven'.

that's interesting. i'm the opposite way 8O for me, it's easier to parse five characters than, say, 40 as you've written.

i immediately know i'm dealing with a numerical figure and not another noun which can be, at irst glance, mistaken for a passage with other meaning. those infinitesimal little scraps of processing time lost matter to me.

am horrible at all maths, most likely will not change.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:15 am

I'm particularly bad at mental arithmetic. I do use a calculator, but I often punch the numbers in out of order... especially if it's a long number. If anyone starts quoting figures at me, my mind tends to switch off.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:40 am

I have strong-ish mental arithmetic abilities, but I was distinctly average at maths in general at school. Unfortunately there's a lot more to it than knowing your times tables. :(

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:08 am

Well actually the stereotype aspie is Sheldon Leonard: a math and physics genius. And the stereotype autistic is an arithmetic savant like Rain Man.

But in reality ASD folks on every functioning level come in all kinds vis-à-vis math. From the totally innumerate to the above stereotypes come to life, and in every gradation in between. And also math isn't just one thing. Its several different skills. Arithmetic, counting, and then there is higher math.

I'm pretty good at doing arithmetic in my head. But cant do simultaneous equations even on paper (leaned that back in school, but cant seem to be able call it up from memory while taking aptitude tests years later). That's my mental brick wall. So I cant go beyond that into algebra country. So I basically cant do math higher than arithmetic. But I wow folks with my mental arithmetic. Most folks cant seem to be able do something even as simple as figure out "what the price of one is if it's 'three for eight dollars'". And folks are amazed that I can just spit out "2.67" in a heartbeat. Cant run. Cant even walk. But folks are amazed at how fast I can crawl. Lol! Go figure.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 6:30 am

I'm awful at math. I can barely add, subtract, multiply, and divide. I'm even worse with things like Algebra and Geometry. I have tried twice (so far) to pass College Algebra and my third attempt is coming this fall.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 8:07 am

I'm terrible at math. I have dyscalculia.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 8:09 am

I'm bad at maths, especially arithmetic. I'm actually better at algebra than simple arithmetic like dividing. I tend to forget math rules easily.

I think I might just have dyscalculia though, but I haven't been tested for that.

As for the AS question, I did know two guys in the same sets as me for maths, one was high functioning and the other had Aspergers.

Anyway, I think all that I wanted to say has already been said so I will just end my post here.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 8:30 am

I am better at the abstract maths than arithmetic. I CAN do arithmetic, but many times I failed a test because I messed up on that. I used to say that I understood the concepts, but do the calculations wrong. I like the problems with all symbols and no numbers because you don't actually have to calculate anything.

In the abstract maths, I did better in Geometry than Algebra because I think Geometry is more visual oriented.

elf_wizard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2017, 9:25 am

I didn't do well at math until later in life, due to a mix of not having arithmetic explained properly and thus not being very good at it, which went into a cycle of me thinking I was "just bad" at math, and probably missing many opportunities to learn out of sheer frustration. I'm not exceptionally good at it now because I lack practice and there are some gaps in my education, but I enjoy it.

Math when I was growing up in the US was taught as a collection of tricks that give the right answer. For someone that has trouble doing things if I don't understand what I am doing, it was very ineffective. But now I love math and wish I would have taken more. I learned arithmetic, geometry, algebra and a little discrete math and trig from http://www.themathpage.com/ and books. I was somewhat forced to learn it to pursue my career in software development, and came to really enjoy it. In fact I'd go so far as to say that my life became much easier as I gained the ability to think mathematically.

There are many people more skilled and gifted than I at math, but occasionally I say something that makes the average person say "...huh?" so I must have learned something ;)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 10:04 am

At school I was quite good at arithmetic,average at algebra,very poor at geometry and trigonometry .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 11:57 am

I'm horrible at math. I'm also not that good at literature either. I'm a very visual and artistic person, though.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:43 pm

I'm good at arithmetic, bad at abstract mathematics.

Who knows, Kitty.....maybe you might be good at abstract math.

yeah i was good at math until the first calculus class.

and i was good at arithmetic. when i was in Solid Mechanics II, the teaching assistant was demonstrating a homework problem for me. and he multiplied two numbers together. and i said the answer. and then he typed it on the calculator and found the answer. and the answer was correct. he had a masters in Structural Engineering.

and i flunked out a BS in structural engineering.

now i have no job. only had minimum wage jobs.

some articles claim a lot of autistics are good at math and computers. but not all autistics are good at math or computers.