Heart Disease, Low Blood Pressure, or TIA?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 8:06 am

Last night, I went through the most terrifying experience of my life. I was sitting on the couch watching TV when my chest started hurting. I stood up and the pressure increased. I talked to my dad about it just as my arms began tingling. I went to the kitchen to sit down as tingling sensation went down to my hands and fingers. I began to feel dizzy and lightheaded. I went back to the living room where numbness began to take over. I laid down on the floor as the tingling sensation reached the cheeks on my face. I couldn't move. I was too scared. I kept taking deep breaths as dad tried calling mom, who was at the Maugansville little league ball-field and it kept going to voicemail. I kept telling dad 9-1-1, 9-1-1 as I could only get a small words out at a time. My breath was shortening. He kept calling mom. I began to feel dehydrated, the tingling went down to my legs and my hands felt like they were sinking into the floor. I couldn't feel anything. Finally everyone got home after I don't know because my eyes were shut because I was too scared to open them. It all went away after drinking three bottles water and eating three cut up apples.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 9:09 am

I am not a medical doctor.
I work in healthcare and can only say that its amazing how many disease symptoms overlap the symptoms for other diseases which can also overlap physical manifestations of psychological states.
Bottom line is when something physically terrifying happens its best to leave the answers to those who have studied the human body. Is this similar to anything in your past? Why did your family opt for water and apples?

Please don't ever assume that because of your age, history, physical state that (insert medical situation here) can't happen to you.
My son was 13 when he had what was later determined to be a TIA. The very very esteemed medical professional who we stumbled on and who is considered one of the best in the country at reading the tests they administered, which were many, felt that a blood clot had passed through his brain. I was not in healthcare at the time and an astute nurse told us to get to the hospital immediately. He ended up being fine but now he knows a bit more about whats lurking in his head.

I am not trying to add to your worries but this occurred to me:

The symptoms of pulmonary embolism may include:
Shortness of breath that may occur suddenly.
Sudden, sharp chest pain that may become worse with deep breathing or coughing.
Rapid heart rate.
Rapid breathing.
Sweating.
Anxiety.
Coughing up blood or pink, foamy mucus.
Fainting.
Heart palpitations.
Signs of shock.
Pulmonary embolism may be hard to diagnose because its symptoms may occur with or are similar to other conditions, such as a heart attack, asthma, a panic attack, or pneumonia. Also, some people with pulmonary embolism don't have symptoms.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 10:41 am

beady wrote:
Why did your family opt for water and apples?

The water was just for the dehydration. My mouth was drying really fast. The apples were for blood sugar and they were the only healthy food we had left in the fridge that I could eat. We were having pizza that night and I couldn't risk
anything with cholesterol.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 6:31 pm

I don't know you and will not ask your personal health information but it sounds like you have some ongoing health issues and your family took the steps that they regularly use to correct the situation. I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

beady wrote:
I don't know you and will not ask your personal health information but it sounds like you have some ongoing health issues and your family took the steps that they regularly use to correct the situation. I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

For now anyway. I still think I should see a doctor to talk about this. Ongoing health issues sounds about right. Just one train-wreck after another whether it's an illness or an injury.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

A TIA usually involves only one side of the body, ie, the tingling would be in only one arm, one hand, not both, and it seems you describe the tingling as being in both arms.

I had a TIA and only one side of my body was affected. I had one numb arm, my speech became garbled, and the vision in the same-side eye went completely black as if I was closing that one eye, but I wasn't. It was very frightening to only be seeing out of one eye.

I agree though that you are never too young to have an "event" like heart issues or stroke symptoms, and you should definitely see a doctor and report this incident, and get checked out.