How do you compensate society for being unemployed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 6:30 am

I need some ideas! I'm thinking of volunteering at the mental hospital and taking a course to be a patient attendant, and hopefully get on there. I write books too, and sometimes I go on forums for people with depression and try to help the people out. What do all you unemployed people do? Share stories of guilt and trying to compensate!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

Volunteer work is a good thing. If able and eligible, maybe something like donating blood? Perhaps joining a support group and share your own experiences, which may be of value to others?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:24 pm

I was part of 2 groups at the hospital but they ended. I will volunteer, yes. Fraid I probly can't donate blood with my meds.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm

When you're working (in the US), your employer pays in a certain amount of your salary as "unemployment insurance." You're actually earning that money, but you only get it if the employer fires you, lays you off temporarily, or goes out of business. So, when you are unemployed and using that money to survive until you find a new job, it is, in fact, YOUR money. You're not leeching off the public dole, like Welfare.

Same with (most) Social Security Disability - if you're classified as disabled after years of work, the money you then draw comes from a fund you've been paying into all the time you were working (this may be different if you're classified disabled in your youth).

So there's no reason, under such circumstances, to feel you "owe" society any compensation just because you're not actively employed.

I'm retired. Society is on it's own.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:55 pm

I was given such a hard time in school that I don't feel I owe society anything, it owes me for what it put me through.
I keep myself to myself and must have a very low carbon footprint compared to most people in the western world. I haven't got anything much to feel guilty about in comparison to somebody who might be working hard and contributing in financial terms but the at the same time doing far more damage to the environment and the Earth's long term future.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

lostproperty wrote:
I was given such a hard time in school that I don't feel I owe society anything, it owes me for what it put me through.
I keep myself to myself and must have a very low carbon footprint compared to most people in the western world. I haven't got anything much to feel guilty about in comparison to somebody who might be working hard and contributing in financial terms but the at the same time doing far more damage to the environment and the Earth's long term future.

I used to and kind of still feel the same way.

I never worked long enough to pay into anything... longest I volunteered was several weeks, longest I worked was 4 days. I try to use my extra time to be an activist and psychologist for my autistic and Aspie brothers and sisters.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:11 pm

Volunteering is productive work. So is raising kids, even without "working."

I take it on a case-by-case basis. If somebody just sits around drinking beers, and does nothing around the house, and is nasty to everybody, this person is unproductive.

Some unemployed people are actually more "productive" than some employed people.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:09 pm

When I was unemployed back in 2008,
I ended up becoming an artist.

I went from selling photos on an old, rickety card table at an outdoor art show
to exhibiting my artwork in art galleries and museums,
opening up an online store that's still making sales,
and winning awards.
I also paint now, along with being a photographer.

So go for your passion ...
even if it means risking a little money to get you started.
(Of course, be prudent and make sure you have enough money to pay rent, bills, and groceries.)

No, I'm not a full-time artist
and art isn't making me rich,
but it's changed my life for the better,
that's for sure.

Good luck to you!

1hit1der
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2017, 10:04 pm

School was a veritable minefield of interaction. The war mask has faded somewhat. It just feels different.

Social interactions and anxiety are my biggest challenges. If I would push myself to contribute, my mental health would deteriorate at a very rapid pace.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

I totally agree with will@rd

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
What do all you unemployed people do? Share stories of guilt and trying to compensate!

I have yet to find how I can compensate my family, my community, and society in general for all they do for me. But, I do have a bit of advice for you.

Guilt can sometimes be a good motivator but it can also have unintended adverse consequences. It can cause someone to become defensive and focus on defending their virtue, intentions, and actions, instead of focusing on fixing, paying for, or learning from a mistake. It can cause someone to become despondent and focus on the past, what was done that should not have been, or what was not done that should have been, instead of focusing on the future and what might be done.

Thankfulness is also a good motivator and a bit safer. It is also less likely to fade or burn out when you would otherwise think that you have given enough. Try asking, "How do we thank society for providing for us while unemployed?"

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 10:02 pm

I can't get this logic of compensating society, specially relating it to unemployment. Maybe this is an american thing? Or maybe I just don't have this sort of work ethic.

I feel it doesn't make sense because most of jobs today are actually useless stuff just created to sustain the system, as it most of stuff we produce – so does productiveness really matters? It is harmful for the planet and it just keeps feeding an unfair system.

I can't understand why being out this system make me a bad person – and actually, nobody is exactly outside it, unemployment is an important part of keeping the system: if you don't have unused working force, you can't negotiate with your workers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 10:30 pm

Knofskia wrote:
CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
What do all you unemployed people do? Share stories of guilt and trying to compensate!

I have yet to find how I can compensate my family, my community, and society in general for all they do for me. But, I do have a bit of advice for you.

Guilt can sometimes be a good motivator but it can also have unintended adverse consequences. It can cause someone to become defensive and focus on defending their virtue, intentions, and actions, instead of focusing on fixing, paying for, or learning from a mistake. It can cause someone to become despondent and focus on the past, what was done that should not have been, or what was not done that should have been, instead of focusing on the future and what might be done.

Thankfulness is also a good motivator and a bit safer. It is also less likely to fade or burn out when you would otherwise think that you have given enough. Try asking, "How do we thank society for providing for us while unemployed?"

You should be a professional philosopher. :D

There Are Four Lights!

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:49 am

Darmok wrote:
You should be a professional philosopher. :D

Thank you for saying that, but the idea really came from my pastor's sermon yesterday.

I was preparing to write a reply about my own feelings of guilt for being unemployed, non-contributing, and generally useless, but then the pastor gave a coincidentally relevant sermon about the focus of our lives and guilt and thankfulness.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:58 am

I have a degenerative neurological disorder. Right now all I can do is be a wife and mom at home. When I can I read WP and contribute here, because working autistic adults and autistic adult wellbeing are my main professional interest areas.

A few years ago when I was doing better, I volunteer taught refugees and sometimes also adult literacy. Most organizations will let you do it regularly, occasionally, or like a substitute teacher, so every once in awhile. Whichever you want- they'll take it. You don't have to be good at your native language to do it- just be a native speaker.

I think you can also volunteer regularly or semiregularly at animal shelters or be an occasional foster parent for a pet. I have a family member who does that. She will be on call to take a foster puppy if the regular foster family goes out of town for a night or a few nights.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:06 am

will@rd wrote:
When you're working (in the US), your employer pays in a certain amount of your salary as "unemployment insurance." You're actually earning that money, but you only get it if the employer fires you, lays you off temporarily, or goes out of business. So, when you are unemployed and using that money to survive until you find a new job, it is, in fact, YOUR money. You're not leeching off the public dole, like Welfare.

Same with (most) Social Security Disability - if you're classified as disabled after years of work, the money you then draw comes from a fund you've been paying into all the time you were working (this may be different if you're classified disabled in your youth).

So there's no reason, under such circumstances, to feel you "owe" society any compensation just because you're not actively employed.

I'm retired. Society is on it's own.

But if you're on SSI Disability(the one you get if you haven't worked due to disability) and recieve medicaid and EBT...then you're leeching off the system? After all those are welfare programs.

I personally don't feel I was 'leeching' by applying for and receiving welfare assistance I qualify for, the way I see it there are funds to be used for welfare programs...and citizens are perfectly entitled to sign up for and receive assistance from those programs. I have benefited greatly and am now actually functional enough to work, due to receiving welfare...which means I can work towards getting off of SSI.