You know how sometimes in stories...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm

...you encounter a character so thoroughly kind and gentle that it sets of alarm bells in your head? You just know that the author is setting something up, that something terrible is going to happen, and all this goodness is just a cheap means to increase the impact when the world inevitably comes crashing into this fragile bubble of escapist fantasy? Well, I knew someone like that. And this monday they found her body. She lived to be 32.

What the hell do I even say to this? What is there to say? What can be said to make this just? To make it fair? What possible action can I take that will even remotely rectify, justify or even just make sense of this?

...f**k you, world.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

I can relate. Trusting is stupid sometimes.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

That is why I subscribe to the motto, "Trust, but verify." It is never good to be too trusting/gullible. Being too paranoid is never good, of course, either. One needs to use common sense.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm

I'm not sure I understand either of your replies. I shouldn't trust the world not to have the kindest person I've ever met die randomly? I should verify her internal functioning? I should know via common sense that some people are just too good to be allowed to go on living?

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:51 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand either of your replies. I shouldn't trust the world not to have the kindest person I've ever met die randomly? I should verify her internal functioning? I should know via common sense that some people are just too good to be allowed to go on living?

Isn't that bizarre? It's like they're only reading your second paragraph. 8O

Well, the saying goes "only the good die young," though that's mostly bullsnot. Usually, the good are forced to linger for decades, enduring the abuse, indignity and humiliation heaped on them by the bullies who grossly outnumber them.

I envy your friend. She dodged years worth of agonizingly painful emotional bullets. Celebrate her Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Salut!

wrongplanusert
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2017, 2:54 am

will@rd wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Isn't that bizarre? It's like they're only reading your second paragraph. 8O

Well, the saying goes "only the good die young," though that's mostly bullsnot. Usually, the good are forced to linger for decades, enduring the abuse, indignity and humiliation heaped on them by the bullies who grossly outnumber them.

I envy your friend. She dodged years worth of agonizingly painful emotional bullets. Celebrate her Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Salut!

But if you deem them little enough, that'll give you some immunity from the heaped things you mention...

A much more bitter problem is the impossibility to find someone who understands you, I guess.