Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:49 am

Being weird is never a bad thing :D . My teacher always called me serious, but laughed when I wore a Mickey Mouse watch lol.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:24 pm

I have a lot and they have gotten worse as I've gotten older. Most of them have to do with clothes, noises, and lights. For example, stiff fabrics bother me and I don't like sudden loud noises or bright lights that flash.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 1:29 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I have a lot and they have gotten worse as I've gotten older. Most of them have to do with clothes, noises, and lights. For example, stiff fabrics bother me and I don't like sudden loud noises or bright lights that flash.

I hate certain noises, and I am also very easily visually overstimulated. I am almost the opposite of you with clothes- I NEED stiff or tight clothes, but I dislike light touch. It is weird how I can be hyper- and hypo- sensitive for the same sense :D . Thanks for replying. It's good to know I am not the only one whose sensory problems got worse.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 2:27 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:

I hate certain noises, and I am also very easily visually overstimulated. I am almost the opposite of you with clothes- I NEED stiff or tight clothes, but I dislike light touch. It is weird how I can be hyper- and hypo- sensitive for the same sense :D . Thanks for replying. It's good to know I am not the only one whose sensory problems got worse.

I used to have fewer problems with clothes. For example, I wore turtlenecks for most of my childhood, but around the time I turned 16, having things tight around my neck began to bother me. I never liked jeans and I usually will wear loose knit pants or skirts and dresses. I'm 23 now and I don't know for sure how bad my sensory issues were when I was a kid, maybe I just notice them now more because I'm older, but I think they have gotten more as I have grown up.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 2:36 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:

I used to have fewer problems with clothes. For example, I wore turtlenecks for most of my childhood, but around the time I turned 16, having things tight around my neck began to bother me. I never liked jeans and I usually will wear loose knit pants or skirts and dresses. I'm 23 now and I don't know for sure how bad my sensory issues were when I was a kid, maybe I just notice them now more because I'm older, but I think they have gotten more as I have grown up.

I used to have fewer problems with clothes as well. Now, it is quite hard to find clothes that are exactly the right texture and feel comfortable. My sensory issues always seem to peak about halfway through the school year, which is when I am under the most stress. They are very inconsistent as well- one day I crave loud sounds and the next day I can't bear the same sound :D .

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:05 am

I have been called too serious as well, StampySquiddyFan. I think it hindered me a lot when I was in school because I got too nervous. I did well in school, but could have done better if I had been more relaxed. I think having a more well-rounded life would have helped, too. Oh, well, as Denis Istomin says, "I'm here now."

As for sensory issues, I think smell is the one that affects me the most. I also jump out of my skin when people touch me from behind or someone talks to me when I can't see who is talking to me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:39 am

IstominFan wrote:
I have been called too serious as well, StampySquiddyFan. I think it hindered me a lot when I was in school because I got too nervous. I did well in school, but could have done better if I had been more relaxed. I think having a more well-rounded life would have helped, too. Oh, well, as Denis Istomin says, "I'm here now."

As for sensory issues, I think smell is the one that affects me the most. I also jump out of my skin when people touch me from behind or someone talks to me when I can't see who is talking to me.

Exactly! I really relate to what you posted about looking serious but not relaxed- I don't "warm up" to school until about 3/4 of the way through the year :D .

Touch might be my worst sense; I can't stand physical contact because it just hurts too much.

A.H.R.A.H.
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2017, 1:06 pm

Visual - shadows, watching things in motion, difficulty focusing, straight line reading - going down to the next line (recent); recognizing people's faces has gotten so bad, people joke that I could get kidnapped and they wouldn't even need to worry about masks. I tag people by hair and clothes and voice and a whole ton of features that causes a big lag. Most times, I just go on with the conversation anyway, keeping it vague.

Smell and taste - food in general. Dry bread or crackers is the only safe food. Everything else is a bit of an adventure. Pizza is my proudest accomplishment. Lobster is my worst failure. Generally it's based on the texture, colour and scent. The last major thing I lost was milk about 2 years ago. It was always the shakiest, but I would make it very watery... and put a lot of cocoa. I can barely look at it now without vomiting. I've failed the basic scent recognition test. I've been near open sewage and asked "Coconut?" What I eat that taste normal to me has been deemed inedible by the rest of the people in the house.

Hearing - people talking fast if I can't see their mouths or more than 1 person at a time. I need subtitles for TV. Audiobooks are still easier than reading with my eyes, tho.

Touch - numb/tingly fingers; I can't tell the shapes of things with my eyes close; I don't let people touch me if I can help it. I do a fist bump with my brother every other night to keep myself from complete withdrawal.

Vestibular - Let's just say, I wait until 3 am to go to the gym. Balance and coordination skills aren't stellar.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 2:14 pm

So many damn things, my family must be sick of me. 8O

-Crowds, restaurants, shopping centres and public food eating areas are usually difficult to deal with.

-Sounds of people eating (chewing, grinding- especially at the sight of people chewing with their mouth open)

- Vacuums, coffee machines, mixers and blenders- just the sound of them. Doesn't help that I used to zuigerphobic as a child, and admittedly still am a bit- I still have a strong hatred of them anyway.

- Motorbikes aren't great, but I've gotten more used to the sound of them these days.

- Gum, the smell and sight of gum- I just can't stand it.

-Speaking of smells I hate, the smell of cucumber, gherkins, pickles, salad dressing, HP brown sauce, red, green and yellow peppers, and vinegar.

-Open market food stalls and places where there are a lot of food options laid out near each other, just the amount of smells at the same time is a bit much for me and I find it overwhelming.

- The look of lettuce. I hate how it curls around and it makes me feel sick just looking at it.

-Whistling, especially high pitched whistling, ugh.

-A lot of people talking at the same time.

-Loud music.

-Sharp and spicy, sometimes sour tastes- especially citrus-I usually have to put water in my drink when I have lemonade, and I can't even drink that Fanta lime stuff- I tried once but I found it difficult, I had to water it down a lot.

-Scratchy clothes

-When people lean too close to me, it freaks me out.

- I'd be here all day if I listed all the foods I hate, I'm definitely a picky eater.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 4:00 pm

A.H.R.A.H. wrote:
Visual - shadows, watching things in motion, difficulty focusing, straight line reading - going down to the next line (recent); recognizing people's faces has gotten so bad, people joke that I could get kidnapped and they wouldn't even need to worry about masks. I tag people by hair and clothes and voice and a whole ton of features that causes a big lag. Most times, I just go on with the conversation anyway, keeping it vague.

Smell and taste - food in general. Dry bread or crackers is the only safe food. Everything else is a bit of an adventure. Pizza is my proudest accomplishment. Lobster is my worst failure. Generally it's based on the texture, colour and scent. The last major thing I lost was milk about 2 years ago. It was always the shakiest, but I would make it very watery... and put a lot of cocoa. I can barely look at it now without vomiting. I've failed the basic scent recognition test. I've been near open sewage and asked "Coconut?" What I eat that taste normal to me has been deemed inedible by the rest of the people in the house.

Hearing - people talking fast if I can't see their mouths or more than 1 person at a time. I need subtitles for TV. Audiobooks are still easier than reading with my eyes, tho.

Touch - numb/tingly fingers; I can't tell the shapes of things with my eyes close; I don't let people touch me if I can help it. I do a fist bump with my brother every other night to keep myself from complete withdrawal.

Vestibular - Let's just say, I wait until 3 am to go to the gym. Balance and coordination skills aren't stellar.

Wow, that must be quite hard to live with, especially the olfactory/gustatory sensitivities.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
So many damn things, my family must be sick of me. 8O

-Crowds, restaurants, shopping centres and public food eating areas are usually difficult to deal with.

-Sounds of people eating (chewing, grinding- especially at the sight of people chewing with their mouth open)

- Vacuums, coffee machines, mixers and blenders- just the sound of them. Doesn't help that I used to zuigerphobic as a child, and admittedly still am a bit- I still have a strong hatred of them anyway.

- Motorbikes aren't great, but I've gotten more used to the sound of them these days.

- Gum, the smell and sight of gum- I just can't stand it.

-Speaking of smells I hate, the smell of cucumber, gherkins, pickles, salad dressing, HP brown sauce, red, green and yellow peppers, and vinegar.

-Open market food stalls and places where there are a lot of food options laid out near each other, just the amount of smells at the same time is a bit much for me and I find it overwhelming.

- The look of lettuce. I hate how it curls around and it makes me feel sick just looking at it.

-Whistling, especially high pitched whistling, ugh.

-A lot of people talking at the same time.

-Loud music.

-Sharp and spicy, sometimes sour tastes- especially citrus-I usually have to put water in my drink when I have lemonade, and I can't even drink that Fanta lime stuff- I tried once but I found it difficult, I had to water it down a lot.

-Scratchy clothes

-When people lean too close to me, it freaks me out.

- I'd be here all day if I listed all the foods I hate, I'm definitely a picky eater.

I hate gum too :D . When you mention sharp tastes, do you find that soda is too sharp? I can never drink soda lol.

A.H.R.A.H.
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2017, 7:32 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
A.H.R.A.H. wrote:

Wow, that must be quite hard to live with, especially the olfactory/gustatory sensitivities.

Well, when I was small, they thought something was very wrong with me, so the school would call my parents (I had to be taken out of school eventually - too much drama) and I'd end up in the hospital, and then they'd say "maybe Gastroenteritis?" A couple told my mother that a good beating would end all the fussiness. The worst thing about it was the teasing. They'd call me things like Bones, Skeletor... And sing that "Leg bone connected to the hip bone" song. And my father would carry me to cemeteries to show me what would happen if I didn't eat.

In secondary school, I'd just eat alone. I still earned the anorexia/bulimia nickname. You only need to projectile vomit once in a girls school for that to get set in stone.

University years, I started owning it. Cooking my own stuff however weird. I can't cook tho, so there were days when I'd have a bread and peanut butter sandwich in my pocket eating it slowly through the day.

The weirdest thing right now, is the vibration tingling and the shocking tingling. Eg. there was a wire loose in the bathroom that caused you to be shocked, but I didn't report it for months because I thought it was my normal "My hands feel either shocked or numb 80% of the day" thing. The technician was looking at me like a crazy person. Like "You got shocked on this sink every day for months without noticing." And I was like "Well..."

The hands are worst than the food thing by like a thousand percent. Food is avoidable with effort.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:52 am

Sound, smell, taste, and pain are the most severe for me. I can't tolerate fire alarms, but I don't dare cover my ears; that would lead to...err..."questions" from people who saw me. From elementary school through high school, they would call me to the office when there would be a fire drill, which I was very grateful for. But you can't really do that in college.

Smell and taste lead to my extremely severe food aversions that I would give anything to be rid of. I hate not being able to eat "adult" foods, and when I go somewhere that serves food, I usually can't eat any of it, and people are like, "Aren't you hungry?" And I'm just like...yes, but I can't eat any of it. And that requires a long explanation.

I'm also hypersensitive to pain. Had a blast in elementary school when kids would poke me for fun to hear me say "ow." :roll:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 7:55 am

A.H.R.A.H. wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
A.H.R.A.H. wrote:

Well, when I was small, they thought something was very wrong with me, so the school would call my parents (I had to be taken out of school eventually - too much drama) and I'd end up in the hospital, and then they'd say "maybe Gastroenteritis?" A couple told my mother that a good beating would end all the fussiness. The worst thing about it was the teasing. They'd call me things like Bones, Skeletor... And sing that "Leg bone connected to the hip bone" song. And my father would carry me to cemeteries to show me what would happen if I didn't eat.

In secondary school, I'd just eat alone. I still earned the anorexia/bulimia nickname. You only need to projectile vomit once in a girls school for that to get set in stone.

University years, I started owning it. Cooking my own stuff however weird. I can't cook tho, so there were days when I'd have a bread and peanut butter sandwich in my pocket eating it slowly through the day.

The weirdest thing right now, is the vibration tingling and the shocking tingling. Eg. there was a wire loose in the bathroom that caused you to be shocked, but I didn't report it for months because I thought it was my normal "My hands feel either shocked or numb 80% of the day" thing. The technician was looking at me like a crazy person. Like "You got shocked on this sink every day for months without noticing." And I was like "Well..."

The hands are worst than the food thing by like a thousand percent. Food is avoidable with effort.

Wow, I get it. I'm glad you found out what shocked you, though.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:00 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Sound, smell, taste, and pain are the most severe for me. I can't tolerate fire alarms, but I don't dare cover my ears; that would lead to...err..."questions" from people who saw me. From elementary school through high school, they would call me to the office when there would be a fire drill, which I was very grateful for. But you can't really do that in college.

Smell and taste lead to my extremely severe food aversions that I would give anything to be rid of. I hate not being able to eat "adult" foods, and when I go somewhere that serves food, I usually can't eat any of it, and people are like, "Aren't you hungry?" And I'm just like...yes, but I can't eat any of it. And that requires a long explanation.

I'm also hypersensitive to pain. Had a blast in elementary school when kids would poke me for fun to hear me say "ow." :roll:

There is a fire alarm in college? You've got to be kidding me lol. I usually try to cover at least one ear, and if nobody questions it, then I sometimes cover both. It's cool how you got called down to the office- I want that :D .

I'm sorry you have a hard time with foods. That must be really hard to explain to people

I have a friend who is hypersensitive to pain, and this other girl would always pull her hair. People are so mean.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 8:02 am

My sensory problem is usually aversion to taste... And cold.
I prefer heat more, so I tend to wear longer clothing -- I almost never leave anything shorter than knee length, or anything sleeveless.

Sometimes, occasional auditory problems.
Sometimes, it's my sense of space -- perception depth particularly, gets a bit glitchy...
Sometimes it's just me and focus -- Forgot to sleep, forgot to eat, forgot to drink... Forgot to take a break even if I'm beginning to shiver.

My sense of smell had been 'muffled' by sinusitis and rhinitis for most of my life. Although when there are times that I could breathe and smell clear, it's more sensitive than most. And I could still take much input.

My sight too usually. I just recently got my glasses -- I'm nearsighted and I've been wearing weaker diatoms for years. I could still take more stimuli even if I have to wear it all day. I kinda prefer not wearing any glasses though.

The rest is good. More sensitive, and wider range of comfort than average. And I have more threshold and tolerance than most to the point that I accommodate others' comfort. :| Not that I mind usually... I could take days of discomfort and degrees of pain, and I rarely get sick. And if I get sick, I usually handle it better than most.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.