I realized I'm not really Autistic...not quite...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm

It became such an identity for me. But I am far too emotionally and socially aware, and have always been empathetic as a child...I talked to a psychiatrist, and he said trauma for a sensitive person makes a lot more sense and can look a lot like autistic symptoms, since I shut down after experiencing abuse and trauma. I've realized the past year that the label just doesn't mean much any more...If I do have a touch of it, I also know that brains can change...it's called neuroplasticity. And at a certain point, a brain can change enough that the label just doesn't mean much anymore....

They diagnose you based on symptoms in childhood, then tell you it's a lifelong condition. But then what happens when the symptoms change as an adult? I have grown a lot over the years, and as much of a relief it was to find an identity in the label...I am relieved to finally let it go. I am who I am...whatever you want to call it.

For the record, the diagnoses I was given were Bipolar I, Tourettes, generalized and social anxiety, and PTSD, which explains a lot. So I am definitely not neurotypical - and I am OK with this.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
For the record, the diagnoses I was given were Bipolar I, Tourettes, generalized and social anxiety, and PTSD, which explains a lot. So I am definitely not neurotypical - and I am OK with this.

You didn't have an autism diagnosis?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm

starkid wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:

You didn't have an autism diagnosis?

Good question but I'm guessing they did otherwise why post

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 5:38 pm

That animated avatar is doing my head in.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2017, 7:55 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
It became such an identity for me. But I am far too emotionally and socially aware, and have always been empathetic as a child...I talked to a psychiatrist, and he said trauma for a sensitive person makes a lot more sense and can look a lot like autistic symptoms, since I shut down after experiencing abuse and trauma. I've realized the past year that the label just doesn't mean much any more...If I do have a touch of it, I also know that brains can change...it's called neuroplasticity. And at a certain point, a brain can change enough that the label just doesn't mean much anymore....

They diagnose you based on symptoms in childhood, then tell you it's a lifelong condition. But then what happens when the symptoms change as an adult? I have grown a lot over the years, and as much of a relief it was to find an identity in the label...I am relieved to finally let it go. I am who I am...whatever you want to call it.

I'm familiar with the concept of neuro-plasticity. I buy it .. to a degree. That the brain can change enough to where when you once had autism and then you don't? Hmm...My experience has been very different. I wasn't formally diagnosed with HFA until a little over a week ago and didn't even suspect it until maybe four weeks ago. A friend - who has a son with HFA - pointed it out. I started researching and things that I once viewed on their own and just wrote off as quirks or just things that were broken in me suddenly made sense in a larger context. As an example, sometimes peoples voices become too much ... too loud. I can't take it. I though my hearing was just sensitive. Florescent lights HURT. I just figured I was weird. Things like that. I'm an adult and those kinds of things haven't changed. Some have gotten worse. I am glad you have found peace with yourself, whatever the reason be.