Going back to school in a few weeks

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm

I'm starting a 2-year school course in a few weeks today. What makes me nervous about this is because I'm afraid that I'll have some kind of meltdown in school and I will have to suffer the consequences. My parents and community support staff are really relying on me to make it through the 2-year classes without getting upset or losing control of my emotions, having outbursts, etc.

I feel upset over a girl who I liked who goes to my regular ASD social skills support group who now is dating a guy who also is a member of the group. I'm personally jealous of this guy (I will call him "C"), he's 21 and a little more "ideal" male height than I am. I am 5'7" and I know that even if I do find women, many of my whole dating pool will be cut off because it's perfectly acceptable for women to reject guys instantly based on this. He is also independent with having a job and getting to take her to and from group in his car. Thinking about the two of them just makes me feel like wanting to die or shut down. It makes me feel extremely empty, and this girl also promised we can hang out before she met this guy. I actually found her more cool and attractive than my ex-girlfriend last year.

Also about the car thing, I know people say getting a license is easier than thought, but there is a possibility that some people just aren't capable of driving or getting to learn. I don't want my self-esteem to get even worse by that.

One of my biggest wishes for the next two years is that I happen to get to ask a girl out who I can find hot or pretty and other cool traits, and that the presence of the relationship will make me feel more at peace and away from being miserable that I am right now because this girl and her guy pretty much destroyed me. :(

I wanted advice about how to cope in school shall it arise, which was the point of this thread initially.

apolo234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2017, 3:45 am

A bit late on this. But I could help!

Quote:
I'm starting a 2-year school course in a few weeks today. What makes me nervous about this is because I'm afraid that I'll have some kind of meltdown in school and I will have to suffer the consequences. My parents and community support staff are really relying on me to make it through the 2-year classes without getting upset or losing control of my emotions, having outbursts, etc.

TLDR: Tell them you've ASD, get accomodations, in case you don't, get out, if you can't, complain, and protest with more people, maybe you make pals, if you're expelled, go to a lawyer for legal advice.

1st: Do the consueling board (Or the staff at school who's trained to help people who've special needs) know that you are in the ASD? If they're, (Unless they're intolerant, which would be strange due to what they work as) you've the right to ask for accomodations (A sensory room, more time in exams, a friends circle...) You don't need to tell your classmates if you don't feel comfortable, only them.

And if they are intolerant?

Are you new in the school? Let's say you don't know anyone. Then, I'd try by all means get out of here, and search for another one, unless you know you can't find another. Then, demand to know why aren't your rights respected, they may reply with "... money, ... a lot of work...", and keep insisting with your rights, maybe get someone in your possible situation to help you complain, if they aren't still respected, then, if you can't get out due to it being far away from the city... Then, you could make some protest! And find like-minded people, you've also right to that, and to unite, you could go far with that! Or get expelled, then, definitely, look for an attorney who knows about law, and tell him what happened, they'll help you. You could make some pals like that too, due to they having similar views. That also may help you with this:

Quote:
Thinking about the two of them just makes me feel like wanting to die or shut down. It makes me feel extremely empty, and this girl also promised we can hang out before she met this guy. I actually found her more cool and attractive than my ex-girlfriend last year.

TLDR: Use your friends in the association if you have, network for finding more people, also, organise meetings, the staff should help you with that. You could also try in school, in case it's stressful, try to get at least acquintances / friendly ones, you may find the girl you want.

As you may have these pals, (In case that didn't happen, then, Do you consider someone in the group, a friend, a pal?) Then, these are a great support! You also could network, for example, by organizing a hang-up, and getting to know the parents, and they tell you they've a cousin / brother... going for some hang - out, who could be a girl who likes you, or your best friend getting to be that cousin...

In case you don't deem anyone a friend, etc. You could try, with help of the staff in the school, making at least, acquintances, you don't even need them to become friends to be somewhat supportive, in case you find it too hard. But you should always try to get into some networking stage.

As you had a girlfriend before, then you have some idea on how these relationships are formed, try to use that to your advantage.

Quote:
Also about the car thing, I know people say getting a license is easier than thought, but there is a possibility that some people just aren't capable of driving or getting to learn. I don't want my self-esteem to get even worse by that.

TLDR: Ask in a driver agency if they recommend it, if not, use public transportation close to you, if you're recommended it, get the license you want.

If you feel very unsure about if you can drive, then try to contact a Driver Agency in your place, and tell them what you doubt about, and ask for their opinion. You'll most probably be told you can do it. In case you're denied that, then, don't worry! Unless you live very far away from a city, (In that case, try walking, or getting into some bus) You could take a bus, taxi, subway, train, plane... To your destination. In case the self-esteem lowering makes you very miserable, get into more individual therapy, for getting some more help.

If you're told that you can, then, go and get that license!

Hope that helps you! In case you've got some questions, ask me, (or you don't feel comfortable doing something)

Greetings!