Put in a job application at sears.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jaime_lion
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jul 2017, 1:01 am

So I put in a job application at sears. Not sure even if they will give me a phone call but if by some miracle I get hired I am more or less using this as an experiment and such to see how I act in a retail establishment. The biggest issue I have as I am sure other people on here have is social skills. One of the things I struggle with is saying inappropriate stuff. I am like 90 percent certain I will do horrible but this will give me some concrete examples to work with in future jobs. Thoughts and input on my idea?

Thanks

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:18 am

jaime_lion wrote:
So I put in a job application at sears. Not sure even if they will give me a phone call but if by some miracle I get hired I am more or less using this as an experiment and such to see how I act in a retail establishment. The biggest issue I have as I am sure other people on here have is social skills. One of the things I struggle with is saying inappropriate stuff. I am like 90 percent certain I will do horrible but this will give me some concrete examples to work with in future jobs. Thoughts and input on my idea?

Thanks

I commend you for doing so.

In retail interactions with customers are usually limited to welcoming them to the store, asking if they need help finding anything, and answering their questions about items they are trying to find or store policy. If they ask you a question you do not know the answer to or don't have the authority to answer, typically the thing to do is to refer them to your supervisor or a manager.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:20 am

sears is a sinking ship.

if the apathy and miserable loneliness that i notice at my local sears is similar to what happens at your sears, you may notice it. and it could drag you down. i know i definitely notice it.

coworkers might not be as kind as you'd like, if they know that they're gonna get laid off sooner or later anyway. again, apathy. (and some other emotions) :skull:

of course, that's not certain, especially if yours is gonna stick around for a little while longer....

what position did you apply for? i hope you follow up on the application by calling them to inquire about it, but it's hard to straddle the line between not showing enough interest in the position and being far too pushy.

i've applied for a lot of sales associate type jobs at big companies, called several times to inquire, but i only ever got one interview. funnily enough that was my first ever job application.

i'm sure the 90% is an exaggeration. :P

what do you mean by inappropriate stuff? when i don't know whether or not to say something, i err on the side of caution and don't say it. that often doesn't work since i'm rather impulsive anyway, but so far i've done alright.

think of the generic phrases someone in your position would say. practice them. it'd help if you know someone who has your job, or one similar.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jaime_lion
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jul 2017, 1:38 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
sears is a sinking ship.

if the apathy and miserable loneliness that i notice at my local sears is similar to what happens at your sears, you may notice it. and it could drag you down. i know i definitely notice it.

coworkers might not be as kind as you'd like, if they know that they're gonna get laid off sooner or later anyway. again, apathy. (and some other emotions) :skull:

of course, that's not certain, especially if yours is gonna stick around for a little while longer....

what position did you apply for? i hope you follow up on the application by calling them to inquire about it, but it's hard to straddle the line between not showing enough interest in the position and being far too pushy.

i've applied for a lot of sales associate type jobs at big companies, called several times to inquire, but i only ever got one interview. funnily enough that was my first ever job application.

what do you mean by inappropriate stuff? when i don't know whether or not to say something, i err on the side of caution and don't say it. that often doesn't work since i'm rather impulsive anyway, but so far i've done alright.

think of the generic phrases someone in your position would say. practice them. it'd help if you know someone who has your job, or one similar.

That is why I chose sears because they are sinking. I figure it would not affect me as bad if I get fired or have issues socially.

An example of inappropriate stuff I walk up to a clerk and ask how they know the olives have not had sex for them to be put in the extra virgin olive oil. I only said that to a friend working at a store once.

I know not to say that to a customer and such but similar issues will arise.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:49 am

jaime_lion wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
sears is a sinking ship.

That is why I chose sears because they are sinking. I figure it would not affect me as bad if I get fired or have issues socially.

An example of inappropriate stuff I walk up to a clerk and ask how they know the olives have not had sex for them to be put in the extra virgin olive oil. I only said that to a friend working at a store once.

I know not to say that to a customer and such but similar issues will arise.

Topics of discussion that should be avoided at work unless you work in the sex industry or medical industry.
1. Sex

Topics of discussion at that should be avoided at work or discussed with caution...but probably avoided.
1. Race
2. Religion
3. Politics