Why is Autism Speaks considered to be an evil organization?

Page 5 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

I had a lot of the problems that people had here. Meltdowns et. al.
I needed no cure. I also found not using medicine improved my mental wellbeing.

There are still many underlying issues but they are kept in control and balance.

Sorry if I mistook you for a salesman of the Autism Speaks variety. And now your stance is a bit clearer..I'll still agree to disagree. I believe in many cases all internal problems can be fixed internally. I believed it long before my diagnosis, and will do long after it. I feel my opinion may have been different though had I been diagnosed at an early age when I was a completely different sort of animal.

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 8:38 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I had a lot of the problems that people had here. Meltdowns et. al.
I needed no cure. I also found not using medicine improved my mental wellbeing.

There are still many underlying issues but they are kept in control and balance.

Sorry if I mistook you for a salesman of the Autism Speaks variety. And now your stance is a bit clearer..I'll still agree to disagree. I believe in many cases all internal problems can be fixed internally. I believed it long before my diagnosis, and will do long after it. I feel my opinion may have been different though had I been diagnosed at an early age when I was a completely different sort of animal.

That is your choice and remains your choice. I simply want people who suffer to have a choice to annihilate all of their issues and to be happier, higher functioning individuals who have better self-esteem and higher potential to achieve in life.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:39 pm

Drake wrote:
I would personally make sweeping changes to myself if I could. I see my autism as an overall detriment to me, but I wouldn't turn myself into an NT if the option was available, it's too scary, and my life has been built around being autistic, not NT.

But I would sweep away all the things that defy logic and limit me. Just off the top of my head, no more meltdowns and other associated emotional issues. No more fear and stress and obsessing over so many stupid things NTs do not fear, barely think about, and even sometimes like. No more dyspraxia. No more poor sense of direction. No more social inadequecies, vulnerabilities, and I'll have that NT "social sense". My empathy is good, but if I can get a boost to that too, I'll have that as well. No more issues with eye contact. No more issues with literal thinking. No more issues with sarcasm. No more issues with overreacting and poorly adapting to sudden change. No more sensory issues. How can any of these things be anything other than a burden? That's a good list, surely you all have at least something there. Tell me why you wouldn't get rid of it. I am honestly curious. Just the accumulated stress from all of it will cut years off my lifespan and cut into my general health, and I'm not even that bad as suffering from autism goes! I got some really nice positive traits out of it, and I'm definitely better off than the majority of other autistics I've met in person, definitely in the upper brackets of the spectrum, but the positives don't offset the negatives. Look at the stuff in the Haven, so much stress and anguish, NTs do not suffer like that, NTs do not suicide at anything like the rate we do. I wonder how many people who've posted in there over the years have since died by their own hand. So many of us were bullied growing up, and so many of us would not have been if not for our autism practically tattooing the words PERFECT VICTIM on our foreheads. Because we are both emotionally fragile and socially isolated we are the perfect targets for bullies to get maximum enjoyment at minimum risk from.

I would not choose to get rid of my autism or my OCD when it was severe. I have been through a lot more stress and anguish than most of my peers. Most kids don't come home to sob for hours because they are convinced they have gone insane. Most kids aren't terrified that they are a bad person. Most kids my age don't have the social difficulties, the horrible anxiety, the need for constant sameness, or the sensory issues I have. I can't even hug my own parents because of my sensory issues. You would probably think there was something wrong with me for not wanting to get rid of my horrible difficulties. Well, I'm not like most kids. My suffering has made me a better person. If I hadn't had to jump through the hoops life throws at me, then I wouldn't be where I am today. I would be some arrogant idiot who thinks only of themselves and doesn't have much in common with people who have disabilities. I'm not saying I like having problems; I'm saying that those problems have made me a more tolerant, happy, and accepting person today. I hate my difficulties and still do, but I need to go through them to be human.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:46 pm

CuriousButDepressed wrote:
Drake wrote:
I would personally make sweeping changes to myself if I could. I see my autism as an overall detriment to me, but I wouldn't turn myself into an NT if the option was available, it's too scary, and my life has been built around being autistic, not NT.

But I would sweep away all the things that defy logic and limit me. Just off the top of my head, no more meltdowns and other associated emotional issues. No more fear and stress and obsessing over so many stupid things NTs do not fear, barely think about, and even sometimes like. No more dyspraxia. No more poor sense of direction. No more social inadequecies, vulnerabilities, and I'll have that NT "social sense". My empathy is good, but if I can get a boost to that too, I'll have that as well. No more issues with eye contact. No more issues with literal thinking. No more issues with sarcasm. No more issues with overreacting and poorly adapting to sudden change. No more sensory issues. How can any of these things be anything other than a burden? That's a good list, surely you all have at least something there. Tell me why you wouldn't get rid of it. I am honestly curious. Just the accumulated stress from all of it will cut years off my lifespan and cut into my general health, and I'm not even that bad as suffering from autism goes! I got some really nice positive traits out of it, and I'm definitely better off than the majority of other autistics I've met in person, definitely in the upper brackets of the spectrum, but the positives don't offset the negatives. Look at the stuff in the Haven, so much stress and anguish, NTs do not suffer like that, NTs do not suicide at anything like the rate we do. I wonder how many people who've posted in there over the years have since died by their own hand. So many of us were bullied growing up, and so many of us would not have been if not for our autism practically tattooing the words PERFECT VICTIM on our foreheads. Because we are both emotionally fragile and socially isolated we are the perfect targets for bullies to get maximum enjoyment at minimum risk from.

I'm glad someone else understands where I'm coming from. How could any of those problems be considered positive? What do you personally think of my vision, though?

I'm not sure. I don't think we should be raised above the NTs. If our weaknesses could be taken away, couldn't by the same token our strengths be given to the NTs too, if they wanted them? Such technology should benefit all. I'm big on self-improvement, it just seems logical that if you can eliminate something from ýourself that's holding you back, why wouldn't you?

I could also imagine other, dark uses for it. Such as having your conscience removed... :pale:

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Drake wrote:

I would not choose to get rid of my autism or my OCD when it was severe. I have been through a lot more stress and anguish than most of my peers. Most kids don't come home to sob for hours because they are convinced they have gone insane. Most kids aren't terrified that they are a bad person. Most kids my age don't have the social difficulties, the horrible anxiety, the need for constant sameness, or the sensory issues I have. I can't even hug my own parents because of my sensory issues. You would probably think there was something wrong with me for not wanting to get rid of my horrible difficulties. Well, I'm not like most kids. My suffering has made me a better person. If I hadn't had to jump through the hoops life throws at me, then I wouldn't be where I am today. I would be some arrogant idiot who thinks only of themselves and doesn't have much in common with people who have disabilities. I'm not saying I like having problems; I'm saying that those problems have made me a more tolerant, happy, and accepting person today. I hate my difficulties and still do, but I need to go through them to be human.

I know what you mean actually, about what your suffering has taught you. I'd be carrying around some ignorant views about certain aspects of mental disabilities that would be very hurtful to those suffering from them if expressed if not for having gone through it myself. My logic-based nature would have stopped me being able to understand without having been there myself. And I'd definitely be much stronger in some areas if I could magic away my problems now than if I'd never had them to begin with.

You see value to be gained through your experiences of suffering, and I understand that, but I don't understand how you can actually be happier than you would be without having suffered at all.

But no, I don't think there's something wrong with you. My mind is open, and I want to know why others would keep disabilities which seem to be nothing but a detriment.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:03 pm

Drake wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Drake wrote:

I know what you mean actually, about what your suffering has taught you. I'd be carrying around some ignorant views about certain aspects of mental disabilities that would be very hurtful to those suffering from them if expressed if not for having gone through it myself. My logic-based nature would have stopped me being able to understand without having been there myself. And I'd definitely be much stronger in some areas if I could magic away my problems now than if I'd never had them to begin with.

You see value to be gained through your experiences of suffering, and I understand that, but I don't understand how you can actually be happier than you would be without having suffered at all.

But no, I don't think there's something wrong with you. My mind is open, and I want to know why others would keep disabilities which seem to be nothing but a detriment.

I'm not going to argue with you because there is no point. I truly think I am happier having suffered than if I had never suffered at all. I would want to keep my disabilities no matter what. I don't think the world would be a better place if we could get rid of autism. I understand your view on the matter, however I am going to try and use my disadvantages to my advantage. It makes me a better person.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:06 pm

You get the benefit of experience.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:22 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Drake wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Drake wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you because there is no point. I truly think I am happier having suffered than if I had never suffered at all. I would want to keep my disabilities no matter what. I don't think the world would be a better place if we could get rid of autism. I understand your view on the matter, however I am going to try and use my disadvantages to my advantage. It makes me a better person.

I'm not here to argue. If you're honestly happier with than you would be without, that somehow they supply you with even more pleasure than they do pain overall, then it makes perfect sense for you to keep them. I know I'd be much happier without the things I listed, they are just a drain on me.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

If anything, I believe that their strengths should be amplified and their weaknesses should be utterly annihilated so that we can create a new race of supreme human beings.

Hmm, now where have I come across THAT before?

https://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf/s?ie= ... in%20Kampf

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:29 pm

Eugenics just doesn't work.

It's quite possible for two geniuses to produce a raving idiot.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:30 pm

Lintar wrote:
If anything, I believe that their strengths should be amplified and their weaknesses should be utterly annihilated so that we can create a new race of supreme human beings.

I wish there was a like button!

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

bunnyb wrote:
Lintar wrote:

But I don't want to harm the people with disabilities, rather I simply want to give them an option to eliminate their problems.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:54 pm

bunnyb wrote:
Lintar wrote:

But I don't want to harm the people with disabilities, rather I simply want to give them an option to eliminate their problems.

You say you want to give them the option but just how do you think that would work? At what age would the 'cure' become available? Would it be at 16, 18 or maybe 21? Do you think parents who have a small child diagnosed would be prepared to wait and what about the cost of early intervention. Wouldn't it been seen as a waste of time if a 'cure' was available? Much cheaper for society to force a cure on small children and very few parents would oppose it. If you spent any time in the parents section on here you would see how hard it is for parents to understand this thing called autism. They would pretty much all want the 'cure' asap. You idea is deeply flawed.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

Bunnyb I do agree that would be a hard trick to get that idea to work. If there is an option to get rid of something that the majority of society thinks is a problem most people are going to take it or possibly punish you for not doing so.

Now that I read other people's responses the idea of a "cure" does not sound so great at all as there would be no way to implement it without causing a whole bunch of problems!

Oh and Curious but Depressed, what is the supreme human thing about? Why do we need a supreme anything? Supreme just sounds like you're trying to be better than everyone, I don't want to be supreme just equal.

So if a cure wouldn't work I wonder what methods would work to better the lives and family of autistic children and adults?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

CuriousButDepressed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Bunnyb I do agree that would be a hard trick to get that idea to work. If there is an option to get rid of something that the majority of society thinks is a problem most people are going to take it or possibly punish you for not doing so.

Now that I read other people's responses the idea of a "cure" does not sound so great at all as there would be no way to implement it without causing a whole bunch of problems!

Oh and Curious but Depressed, what is the supreme human thing about? Why do we need a supreme anything? Supreme just sounds like you're trying to be better than everyone, I don't want to be supreme just equal.

So if a cure wouldn't work I wonder what methods would work to better the lives and family of autistic children and adults?

I truly feel that a cure that eliminated only the troubling aspects but kept the positive ones would be beneficial. I wish others could see this. However, I admit there are some ethical issues involved with the issue of underage Aspies, since they cannot legally consent to the procedure. That is one gray area here.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 11:57 pm

bunnyb wrote:
bunnyb wrote:
Lintar wrote:

You say you want to give them the option but just how do you think that would work? At what age would the 'cure' become available? Would it be at 16, 18 or maybe 21? Do you think parents who have a small child diagnosed would be prepared to wait and what about the cost of early intervention. Wouldn't it been seen as a waste of time if a 'cure' was available? Much cheaper for society to force a cure on small children and very few parents would oppose it. If you spent any time in the parents section on here you would see how hard it is for parents to understand this thing called autism. They would pretty much all want the 'cure' asap. You idea is deeply flawed.

Yes, we do need a "like" button. I guess there is this - :thumleft: