Voice locking up during conflict and whimpering puppy sounds

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:40 am

I've noticed for the last ten or so years of my life that whenever I get into a conflict or any sort of tense social situation, my voice will 'lock up' so to say. My mind will form sentences of what I want to say but my voice will not get anything out and in the rare cases that it does I'll either stutter or say something rushed. I feel like I should protect myself but I end up not doing so and the other person walks all over me.

I've also noticed that whenever I do meditation or feel extreme loneliness, my throat will make involuntary sounds almost like a whimpering puppy. I feel like it's my spirit wanting to speak but my anxiety and fear always win out. It only happens under the two aforementioned circumstances, I've tried doing it voluntarily and it will not work.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 3:24 am

The reason why this is happening could be because you are thinking too much of what to say next instead of listening.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:51 am

Marknis wrote:
...whenever I get into a conflict or any sort of tense social situation, my voice will 'lock up' so to say.

That used to happen for me quite often, and even mid-sentence. In my own case, I believe it was a symptom of fear and insecurity.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:30 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
The reason why this is happening could be because you are thinking too much of what to say next instead of listening.

Oh no, I do indeed listen. I hear what they say and I feel my psyche being chipped away at.

leejosepho wrote:
That used to happen for me quite often, and even mid-sentence. In my own case, I believe it was a symptom of fear and insecurity.

I often get feelings of dread wash over me when it happens. I remember I used to be able to speak up without hesitation but I could never get the other person to concede and sometimes I would get punched in the face.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 10:34 am

Emotional overload.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 2:23 am

I wonder if it's a holdover from my childhood because I would make the sounds whenever I was sad.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2017, 6:35 am

I really relate to this.

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2017, 7:21 am

Marknis wrote:
I've noticed for the last ten or so years of my life that whenever I get into a conflict or any sort of tense social situation, my voice will 'lock up' so to say. My mind will form sentences of what I want to say but my voice will not get anything out and in the rare cases that it does I'll either stutter or say something rushed. I feel like I should protect myself but I end up not doing so and the other person walks all over me.

happens to me too. i always thought of saying something badass/mean to hit back at someone, but the words never got out of my mouth. that leaves me even angrier with myself that i did not stand up for myself.

do you think practice helps? does practice speaking out in calm environment help when the actual tense situation calls for it?

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:34 am

My voice kinda locked up when I was nervous about it doing so and I sounded almost robotic, or monotone, or slow, or too loud... always a problem when I was nervous socially. Or I'd give myself away by sounding nervous or even upset, even more upset than I was. Always a problem. I'm over it mostly, but I wonder how I'd be without meds.