Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 7:41 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
try to consider someone else's perspective. yes i know - autistics are bad at doing so.

Theory of Mind

it is harder for an AS to correctly consider a NT's perspective, than for an NT to correctly consider another NT's perspective.

Are you sure about the first part? I mean I know all the books and professionals tend to say that, but from my personal experience I'd say that NTs aren't any better at understanding people in different situations than aspies. From what I've seen, all people (no matter if they're NT, aspie or something else) understand others better if they've had similiar experiences. I've been insituations where I've told about my problems to my mom or half sister, who've just told me that I was over reacting or wrong, but after telling the same thing to other aspies that I barely know they've been all "Yeah, that tends to happen a lot. I know how you feel." In other words they've been able to relate to the situation, to understand how I feel, better than NTs who've known me my whole life. Which is why I think that it's not about NTs and aspies, it's about people being different. The reason it seems like aspies are far worse at this stuff is because we are a minority, so we have more chances of facing people different from us, which means we have more chances to mess up.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'm not any kind of professional when it comes to these things, but I strongly believe in what I wrote above, and that belief is based on my personal experience.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 2:26 am

ZachGoodwin wrote:
I think I know what the solution is. You need to choose simple and direct words that when fused together, sound like what you meant to say. Big, complicated, and unclear words confuse people. Words with double meanings also confuse people. If you talk to the other person like an adult there will be less issues. Tell yourself in your head what you are about to tell to the other person. Think about what you were about to say to other people. If what you were about to say feels the same in the way you meant it, then the other person can understand what you were talking about and what your feeling.

Think before you say.

That might work, but I've done similar and after a while of talking simply, people begin to treat me as if I'm an idiot.
I've said things as an adult, and it does not matter, people often take things the wrong way or personally.
They will read into things you're saying, not tell you what they think, then turn around and begin to hate you.
Alternately they can have coloured perceptions of you based on nasty gossip/rumours.

Oddly, getting angry with people when they openly misinterpret what I've said, actually helps.
Funny thing is putting people in their place when they are treating you with false perceptions, or reading into conversations - actually gets respect. This works better if others are present, as they can back your reputation up with good gossip - especially if the person does the same things to other people.
Not that I bother, but sometimes I blow up if people are being overly sensitive or mean towards me.

Fireblossom wrote:
Are you sure about the first part? I mean I know all the books and professionals tend to say that, but from my personal experience I'd say that NTs aren't any better at understanding people in different situations than aspies.

THIS IS TRUE.
I've seen NT's misinterpret other NT's, or just completely ignore what was actually said, and translate it into a biase that is in their mind. For instance, they think the person is racist, so everything that is said that can be interpreted as negative/insult, IS made into a "Racist" comment!!

honeymiel wrote:
I've done this so many times that I just refuse to let my guard down around people until I know them very well. I separate people into my "in-group" which is very small (a few family members, boyfriend and a few friends who understand my diagnosis), and then "everyone else"

For most people who are in the "everyone else" group, I use what I would think of as social scripting. I think of myself more like a robot/computer than a human being who is capable/desiring of building a deeper relationship with these people.
(e.g.)
Input: I hear distress from someone who has to put their horse down
Automatic output: "I'm so sorry" or "I feel awful for you" or "Are you okay?"

You are very clever, that is a good tactic.
I simply do this for 99.9% of people these days.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:56 pm

AngryAngryAngry wrote:

Oddly, getting angry with people when they openly misinterpret what I've said, actually helps.
Funny thing is putting people in their place when they are treating you with false perceptions, or reading into conversations - actually gets respect. This works better if others are present, as they can back your reputation up with good gossip - especially if the person does the same things to other people.
Not that I bother, but sometimes I blow up if people are being overly sensitive or mean towards me.

I'm not so sure that getting mad at people to show you are smart is actually helpful.