Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:06 am

...I have just lost :cry: an attempted third installment of this, where I really laid myself open. I don't want to write it again now :( .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 8:12 am

ASS-P wrote:
...I have just lost :cry: an attempted third installment of this, where I really laid myself open. I don't want to write it again now :( .

Condolences. Writing is often clearer the second time, though, and each telling clarifies the mind, so it is not a complete waste. I have learned to compose my longer messages elsewhere, and paste them in after losing a couple. If one is getting long, I move it to work on it. Another trick is to "copy" your message just before posting, so you have it ready to paste anywhere if it does not post.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:25 am

...But not only is it that I cannot " copy ", or " paste " :P :( - With only one lower-end Cricket , what I am typing this one now being 100 percent of all the " computers. " I own in this world- :cry: -I CAN'T do that!! !! !! !! ! :( This underlines the total super-beginners, low, level of computer knwledge I have spoken of here before:-(.

quote="Dear_one"]

ASS-P wrote:

Condolences. Writing is often clearer the second time, though, and each telling clarifies the mind, so it is not a complete waste. I have learned to compose my longer messages elsewhere, and paste them in after losing a couple. If one is getting long, I move it to work on it. Another trick is to "copy" your message just before posting, so you have it ready to paste anywhere if it does not post.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

mlpgirl1998
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2017, 1:09 pm

thanks these r all really good tips! :D

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Don't go because it is "the thing to do." If an investment banker wouldn't see a clear, non-risky path to profit from a degree, don't take on Any debt. As an aspie, you have better than usual odds of learning better in a library than a classroom, and of being distressed by dorm life.

I just completed two College diplomas entirely from self-study: I never once set foot on the campus as it's in Toronto. It took me about 6 months to complete a 2 year program and worked full time through most of it. Not only that, but it is far more valuable than my useless Commerce Degree that I spend 4 long years and thousands of dollars on, only to apply for jobs that paid even less than my retail gig at the time (and still not get them!). Some people will talk about the "College Experience" but I didn't learn anything I wouldn't have just from being out in the world in general and I sacrificed SO much in my youth (worked like a dog, didn't have a social life, minimal fun, saved, saved, saved) for NOTHING.

Did I mention that Commerce (and Arts) Degrees are practically useless? Trades like Plumbing and Electrical are where the money is now, and those "dropouts" as they were called in the 90s are making a killing. I should know: I recently hired both!

I now have a University Degree, Two College Diplomas, Three College Certificates (soon to be 4), Two professional certifications in my field and have my office lined with the other courses I have taken and work a job that only requires Grade 12!

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

ASS-P, I think you've got a warped view of college. Colleges these days are businesses that exist to sell a product, namely classes and diplomas. Having a diploma is no guarantee that you will be happy or successful at anything.

You do have one thing in common with Bill Gates Ass-P: Neither one of you has a college diploma. Also Oprah, B. Ives (college drop out like Gates), and my father and brother, both of whom make more money than I do. Sometimes I don't even put my Masters on a resume anymore because employers look at it and think "we will have to pay this guy more, so don't hire him."

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:14 am

...My situation is not yours, and (I keep losing attempts at writing this :cry:) I am aware of the " it's a business " angle. Repeating myself, you saw what Chrn said about an Aspie"s (with no blood family for him now whatsoever) possible need for a degree from one of those businesses.
Bill Gates gets thrown around as a " You don't need a diploma! Just look at Bill Gates! " club. B.G. also: (1) Was from a locally rich family. (2) Was, already, smart & well-connected & lucky enough to get into Harvard. (3) Had new ideas, and connections, and nearby friends - And, presumably could have gone back to school had his ideas fizzled. And had youth & health. And family. I presume B. Ives is not Burl Ives, but I don't know who you mean.

P, I think you've got a warped view of college. Colleges these days are businesses that exist to sell a product, namely classes and diplomas. Having a diploma is no guarantee that you will be happy or successful at anything.

You do have one thing in common with Bill Gates Ass-P: Neither one of you has a college diploma. Also Oprah, B. Ives (college drop out like Gates), and my father and brother, both of whom make more money than I do. Sometimes I don't even put my Masters on a resume anymore because employers look at it and think "we will have to pay this guy more, so don't hire him."[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:15 am

...My situation is not yours, and (I keep losing attempts at writing this :cry:) I am aware of the " it's a business " angle. Repeating myself, you saw what Chrn said about an Aspie"s (with no blood family for him now whatsoever) possible need for a degree from one of those businesses.
Bill Gates gets thrown around as a " You don't need a diploma! Just look at Bill Gates! " club. B.G. also: (1) Was from a locally rich family. (2) Was, already, smart & well-connected & lucky enough to get into Harvard. (3) Had new ideas, and connections, and nearby friends - And, presumably could have gone back to school had his ideas fizzled. And had youth & health. And family. I presume B. Ives is not Burl Ives, but I don't know who you mean.

P, I think you've got a warped view of college. Colleges these days are businesses that exist to sell a product, namely classes and diplomas. Having a diploma is no guarantee that you will be happy or successful at anything.

You do have one thing in common with Bill Gates Ass-P: Neither one of you has a college diploma. Also Oprah, B. Ives (college drop out like Gates), and my father and brother, both of whom make more money than I do. Sometimes I don't even put my Masters on a resume anymore because employers look at it and think "we will have to pay this guy more, so don't hire him."[/quote]

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:51 am

I think that examples like Bill Gates are not about having a degree or not, they are about leaving school when you have learned how to learn, and are full of ideas for a career. With the 'net available, I'm surprised people pay even more for school, and even more surprised that they seldom use what the courses taught. Knowledge is all around us. When I was young, I examined the objects around me, using tool marks and deduction to understand how they were made, and how they worked.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:18 am

...You know, I think you are maybe, at least in part, approaching that from the " in to- fay' s modern world, with computers everywhere and all the modern technology, who needs going to a school...". Well, I am only marginally part of zl: the modern world " - This cheap phone is all the tech I have, and my computer knowledge is so super-minimal... :(...I am below the you can do ANYTHING, EADILY, on the Web!" level! :( The increase in social statis, and the likely wider variety of people to be met, even in a beginning c.f. situation...And, frankly, the Grant money too...all could help me.
Also, I really do not understand why so many here are obsessed, re me, with this " You can - and MUST, anyway SHOULD - apply for c.f. application and grants with ABSOLUTELY NO HELP WHATSOEVER...somehow knowing what to do, who to send it to, when ", and so on! No one could do that, barring possibly someone already in the " filling out applications " profession already :cry: ! Would you ask a normal 17-year old to do that? Or 18-, to get over the " of age " issue? No!! !! !! !! ! And the whole system is built for rhem, and a " normal " 18-ER enrolled in a HS in connected into the system.
Oh, and the comment I made earlier here IIRC was, in fact, meant to acknowledge that there are HL teenagers applying to college - Who, however, more likely than not have more tech equipment than I do, and all but certainly likely more knowledge on how to use it :cry:.

="Dear_one"]I think that examples like Bill Gates are not about having a degree or not, they are about leaving school when you have learned how to learn, and are full of ideas for a career. With the 'net available, I'm surprised people pay even more for school, and even more surprised that they seldom use what the courses taught. Knowledge is all around us. When I was young, I examined the objects around me, using tool marks and deduction to understand how they were made, and how they worked.[/quote]

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:44 pm

ASS-P wrote:

You do have one thing in common with Bill Gates Ass-P: Neither one of you has a college diploma. Also Oprah, B. Ives (college drop out like Gates), and my father and brother, both of whom make more money than I do. Sometimes I don't even put my Masters on a resume anymore because employers look at it and think "we will have to pay this guy more, so don't hire him."
[/quote]

Yes, I did mean Burl Ives. Holly Jolly guy. He was attending a class when he realized he was wasting his time and stormed out. That same school now has a building named after him because he is their most famous alumnus...in spite of the fact that he got no degree!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:57 am

drwho222 wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

Yes, I did mean Burl Ives. Holly Jolly guy. He was attending a class when he realized he was wasting his time and stormed out. That same school now has a building named after him because he is their most famous alumnus...in spite of the fact that he got no degree![/quote]

Burl Ives existed at a time when most people didn't get degrees or need them, and it was easier for a person to work their way up in society. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg and equally successful people without degrees are extreme minorities in our society. Bill Gates does not refute the fact that luck had a lot to do with his success. Sure, he was a shrewd business man who worked very hard to build the empire he did, but he also had the right ideas, and right opportunities at the right time, and the resources to make them work. For every successful person without a degree in western society, there are hundreds of thousands of unsuccessful people without a degree.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm

True but there are also hundreds and thousands WITH degrees who are NOT successful.

What is needed is a fundamental change in the way America views education and training. Bring back apprenticeships for one. When you learn a trade from the age of 8, you KNOW what you are doing and HAVE a useful skill for the rest of your life. Also get rid of the BS classes and BS degrees that infest modern college. Place the word "Studies" after anything and people think you have a class worth taking. African Studies. UFO Studies. Toilet bowl Studies. These classes need to be flushed. As well as degrees in such things as "Creative Writing", "Food and Nutrition", you know dumbed down degrees that exist so the school can attract more students.

What should college be for? People who want to become true scholars, doctors, scientists, etc. It should not be a replacement for traditional vocational education.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 1:36 pm

drwho222 wrote:
True but there are also hundreds and thousands WITH degrees who are NOT successful.

What is needed is a fundamental change in the way America views education and training. Bring back apprenticeships for one. When you learn a trade from the age of 8, you KNOW what you are doing and HAVE a useful skill for the rest of your life. Also get rid of the BS classes and BS degrees that infest modern college. Place the word "Studies" after anything and people think you have a class worth taking. African Studies. UFO Studies. Toilet bowl Studies. These classes need to be flushed. As well as degrees in such things as "Creative Writing", "Food and Nutrition", you know dumbed down degrees that exist so the school can attract more students.

What should college be for? People who want to become true scholars, doctors, scientists, etc. It should not be a replacement for traditional vocational education.

Well said. Handyman has always been my fallback job, and it saves me huge expenses when I do my own work. I picked it up by holding the flashlight for my dad.
I've also noticed a very unfortunate trend for modern students to rely on being able to look up information. That's fine much of the time, but if you are trying to come up with a new idea, you can only build on the ones already in your head.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 1:40 pm

Yes, modern students don't want the pain of memorization...but I agree with them to a point. Today there is just to dang much to memorize, esp in areas like medicine. Doctors who have been doctors for 40 or 50 years have been able to organically grow their knowledge base. Newly minted doctors are expected to learn all that in 4 years, and that's just nuts. What I think will happen will be the death of the idea of the "Grand Medical Generalist".

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

Aye, there are courses that are mostly memory work, and those may be good candidates for AI assistance. However, I have also met aspiring inventors who don't know the basics like the difference between AC and DC power, and store clerks who can't add 10% tax even with a calculator. I've even seen rather elaborate instructions for passing multiple-choice tests with zero knowledge of the subject, just going by the pattern of questions, and the minimum response needed. Many students, sensing the uselessness of their courses, simply cheat to get diplomas and never really see the difference between actors in white coats and Nobel prizewinners.