Three lead LED with a mobo meant for two separate LEDs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:44 pm

The computer I rebuilt (replaced EVERYTHING except for the case) originally had a combination power light and hard drive activity light, both in a single LED. Three leads, two positives and one ground.

In the rebuild, I had to replace the wiring and go with only a power light because there was nowhere to put the separate hard drive activity light.

Thing is, I'd kept the old wiring and tonight removed the old plastic connector, so all three leads are now separate, still having the metal connectors that'll slide over the pins on the mobo. A little black electrical tape around each, and they'll be insulated and ready to go. (I've tested the two power leads separately using the current motherboard's unused hard drive activity connector...both are still working.)

Thing is, I don't know if it'd be safe to try using the "two-in-one" bulb since there's only the one ground wire. For all I know, the current motherboard might not be able to handle that. Either one of the lights might not work, or it might cause a royal mess electrically, and could wreck the mother board. (Both lights active at times, but using a mobo ground connector only meant for one of them.)

Anyone out there tried anything like this before and had it work? This rebuild has been going strong for about a year now, and I'd hate to wreck it. I could eventually figure out a new place to put the hard drive light, but to restore it to how it was originally using the original bulb would be neat...if it doesn't ruin the current motherboard.

The new/current mobo is by Asus. If need be I can give you the model number.

Any and all comments and ideas would be appreciated.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".