Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

OtterMoone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

I've been trying to find a stable job for the last 6 months where I don't feel like I'm going to have a breakdown, due to sensory issues, or social rejection, etc. I've had jobs I liked before, but for some reason, this time I haven't had any success. I've been through two jobs now, and this last food job that I just quit today makes me feel terrible.

I don't know what I did wrong, they just started giving me less and less hours. I wasn't slow at this job, I learned quickly despite not having much training, I was good at making customers smile, I never fought with coworkers or management, etc. They've been giving me less hours every week, and they told me not to come in for my shift today because they were overstaffed, and then they put up the new schedule and I was scheduled for only 2 hours, while everyone else was scheduled for 18+ hours. I've asked for more hours for weeks and have been ignored, so I decided to just quit.

I don't understand what I did wrong. I've learned to just be quiet but friendly and polite in most social situations, so I don't make as many social mistakes or anything, and my managers always complimented me on my work after every shift. I'm trying not to let it bother me but I feel like I'm about to have another break down. I'm lucky that my boyfriend somehow understands and is in a better position than me with a good job, but it still hurts, and makes me feel like a failure.

I don't like to tell potential jobs that I'm on the spectrum for this sort of reason, but now idk what else to do. Does anyone have any advice?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:45 pm

I think i've also realised that since i had various work placements, i used them as references for jobs that I apply for, and as soon as they contact my references, the most likely remarks or feedback would be "quiet, reserved, does not interact with customers enough, not sociable, doesn't show appropriate body language, no enthusiasm or empathy". I had worked in an office and the elements of that job included working as a team, but in my defense I had no idea what I was doing, and had to greet every worker like I was doing the same work but were not and just did simple body language like a nod and a wave, where they would expect "hello, good morning/afternoon, how are you?" which i'm not naturally able to do. I do have trouble showing appreciation and gratitude which is very difficult for me personally to overcome.

The lacking in soft skills that my references would outline to the employer contradicts my claims that I have these skills on my CV and inevitably in an interview.

This probably doesn't relate to your thread at all but past references usually tell potential employers how you worked in previous roles and it may or may not include your worst performances depending on what attitude or footing you left them on.