No I have never toe-walked 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes like when I'm anxious etc.. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

ScarletIbis wrote:
I don't think people do it to make sure they have qualifications, I think it is just a mindless habit of muscle memory that is supposedly more common among the ASD population compared to the rest of the population. I am sure there is some reason people start walking like that but I think once you start it, your muscles just retain how you used them and try to do it again. Sometimes though, when I am thinking about it, I make myself walk 'normally' even though it feels unnatural.

I mean people shouldn't feel that since they have autism they should also have such and such trait. People have come on here in the past and basically asked that since they don't flap their hands, toe walk, or whatever do they really have autism.

Perhaps toe walking isn't noticeable to the observer, because in my experience of having always been in a private school for ASD, it's not something I recall seeing anyone doing that. Except maybe little kids. Or maybe they do and I'm oblivious to it because I've been around it my whole life.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Not any more than the average person, I think. I only do it if the ground is especially hot/cold and I'm barefoot, or if there are things like broken glass or dog droppings I'm trying to avoid stepping on. I do, however, sometimes bounce up and down on my toes as a stim.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2017, 8:17 am

I do on occasion catch myself toe walking, generally it seems to be mostly when i'm not wearing shoes or socks. My memory i fuzzy so i don't recall if i did the same as a child?