Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 24 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 57  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:44 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
I also posit this: How many confederate supporters would accept the flag of Mexico flying next to the Texas flag, or a whole boatload of Santa Anna statues lining the state capital in Austin? How about a King George III next to the Washington monument? How about a Isoroku Yamamoto at Pearl Harbor? After all, all those statues would merely be 'historic' by your own claims.

I doubt I'd lose any sleep over any of the above, but then again I'm not on the losing end of last November's election...

Those are all highly offensive symbols if you've read our history, do you even consider yourself an American?

Well, we only learnt readin' ritin' and 'rithmatic in that thar log scoolhous I got muh 5th graid edgicashun at so I don't no 'bout no histree or nothin fancee like that.

And you still lost the election :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We may have lost, but you certainly didn't win, if you did you'd have some kind of legislation to show for it. :lol: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The left's stinging loss and subsequent mental suffering has been victory enough. :twisted:

Who's mentally suffering? The ineptitude of the people currently in charge ensures nothing will get done. No, I don't get the policies I want enacted, but that rarely happens anyhow. For all intensive purposes it's a stalemate, and the longer the Republicans carve themselves up (thanks Donald), the more people come to realize the right has no idea how to govern, merely complain, and that equals better prospects for my side going forward. And you also rid us of Hillary and her lock grip on the DNC (thanks Donald). So again, I'm actually pretty happy at the moment.

edit: Look at the thread, we're talking about removing confederate statues, and it's happening during a Republican administration. Who's really wielding power, eh?

The country as a whole is losing big time because the ILLIBERAL left is winning because the Republicans are so inept even Trump has given up on them and is doing deals with the Dems. We are not talking just about Confederate statues anymore, that is soo last month, we are talking about statues of Columbus and Francis Scott Key and in due time really making every figure that has anything to do with American History seem like a cancer using the excuse that most of them reflecting their times were bigots.

Weird era, the Republicans control the Presidency, the congress, and the statehouses, but the left is influential or controls, higher education, the culture, the communications technologies and time is on their side because the Millennials lean more their way. The "right" leans older, that means they have jobs, family and many do not have the strength and health or understanding to deal with the illiberal left.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Sep 2017, 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 3:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
I don't really get how it was a problem until now. :? It should have been dealt with when the war ended.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 14, 2017)

Most of the statues were later but the "lost cause" mentality and the triumph of white supremacy was allowed to win out in the south within a dozen years following the war. This was becaus of the desire to unify the county, white supremacist terrorism that continued the civil war by other means, fatigue and racism in the north.

Ah, I forgot about the Reconstruction Era. :lol:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 5:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The country as a whole is losing big time because the ILLIBERAL left is winning because the Republicans are so inept even Trump has given up on them and is doing deals with the Dems. We are not talking just about Confederate statues anymore, that is soo last month, we are talking about statues of Columbus and Francis Scott Key and in due time really making every figure that has anything to do with American History seem like a cancer using the excuse that most of them reflecting their times were bigots.

They're symbols, not history. And what actual history has taught me is that symbols are pretty much erected to be destroyed at some point, sometimes due to cultural shift, others due to foreign intervention, and for being stone and steel they're actually very temporary. How about we stop worshiping symbols altogether and actually just teach people their history, wouldn't that be a more productive use of human time?

As for Columbus and Key I have no issue with them, neither attacked the country, and so they're non-issues for me. I can't speak for others on this issue as I'm not particularly tied to it. But you're right, there are some on the left that want to destroy everything they don't like, just as there are people on the right that want to destroy everything they don't like. It's not a partisan issue, nutcases exist on the fringes of every movement and we're in an era where only nutcases get coverage whether it be far-right on MSM, or far-left on Alt-right media.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Weird era, the Republicans control the Presidency, the congress the statehouses, but the left is influential or controls, higher education, the culture, the communications technologies and time is on their side because the Millennials lean more their way. The opposition leans older, that means they have jobs, family and many have the strength and health or understanding to deal with the illiberal left.

One on one interactions, business, and media drive culture, the government is merely the final arbiter. Slightly over half our population votes, our politics are not truly representative of our actual on the ground culture. People will follow those around them, not politicians. There's a huge silent majority out there that you won't see debate, or even bring up politics, but their interactions in everyday life have a cumulative effect that's greater than anything government can mandate or control. Also of note: more people voted for Democrats than Republicans this election cycle, and not just in the presidential election, in house races as well. You, living in New York, are actually being disenfranchised by me, living in Colorado due to the fact that we get 2 freebie senators regardless of population. And that's just the minority rights inherent in the Constitution, if we're looking at disenfranchisement through gerrymandering, you could be in a house district that looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and the only reason it looks that way is to disenfranchise someone. *the first puzzle is pretty tame, they get wilder as you complete them.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
...in due time really making every figure that has anything to do with American History seem like a cancer using the excuse that most of them reflecting their times were bigots.

EXACTLY----EXCEPT for any statue the Left deems appropriate, according to THEIR standards; cuz, they're the only standards, that are correct. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 14 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

They're symbols, not history. And what actual history has taught me is that symbols are pretty much erected to be destroyed at some point, sometimes due to cultural shift, others due to foreign intervention, and for being stone and steel they're actually very temporary. How about we stop worshiping symbols altogether and actually just teach people their history, wouldn't that be a more productive use of human time?

As for Columbus and Key I have no issue with them, neither attacked the country, and so they're non-issues for me. I can't speak for others on this issue as I'm not particularly tied to it. But you're right, there are some on the left that want to destroy everything they don't like, just as there are people on the right that want to destroy everything they don't like. It's not a partisan issue, nutcases exist on the fringes of every movement and we're in an era where only nutcases get coverage whether it be far-right on MSM, or far-left on Alt-right media.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Weird era, the Republicans control the Presidency, the congress the statehouses, but the left is influential or controls, higher education, the culture, the communications technologies and time is on their side because the Millennials lean more their way. The opposition leans older, that means they have jobs, family and many have the strength and health or understanding to deal with the illiberal left.

One on one interactions, business, and media drive culture, the government is merely the final arbiter. Slightly over half our population votes, our politics are not truly representative of our actual on the ground culture. People will follow those around them, not politicians. There's a huge silent majority out there that you won't see debate, or even bring up politics, but their interactions in everyday life have a cumulative effect that's greater than anything government can mandate or control. Also of note: more people voted for Democrats than Republicans this election cycle, and not just in the presidential election, in house races as well. You, living in New York, are actually being disenfranchised by me, living in Colorado due to the fact that we get 2 freebie senators regardless of population. And that's just the minority rights inherent in the Constitution, if we're looking at disenfranchisement through gerrymandering, you could be in a house district that looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and the only reason it looks that way is to disenfranchise someone. *the first puzzle is pretty tame, they get wilder as you complete them.

Many on the left are not hard core illiberal's, but have sympathetic leanings. The type of thinking that says I know vandalizing statues is wrong but it damn it does feel good to see those statues defaced and Milo forced to cancel. It is clear that government and campus officials in Berkely and elsewhere enable these riots against opinions they deem hate speech. This has been seen at other campuses. Government officials complicit in this are failing in their job to protect the Constitution and certain citizens. Trump has played fast and loose with protecting the Constitution is a convenient excuse. The statues are symbols. The successful campaign to deface and remove them is symbolic of society's inability and unwillingness to protect the free expression of certain opinions.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 7:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Many on the left are not hard core illiberal's, but have sympathetic leanings. The type of thinking that says I know vandalizing statues is wrong but it damn it does feel good to see those statues defaced and Milo forced to cancel. It is clear that government and campus officials in Berkely and elsewhere enable these riots against opinions they deem hate speech. This has been seen at other campuses. Government officials complicit in this are failing in their job to protect the Constitution and certain citizens. Trump has played fast and loose with protecting the Constitution is a convenient excuse. The statues are symbols. The successful campaign to deface and remove them is symbolic of society's inability and unwillingness to protect the free expression of certain opinions.

As I've said before: the government's stance is they'll allow you to assemble, they make no claims about protecting you from counter speech, that in itself would make them an arbiter, and thus the speech would be compulsory to the government's wishes. As for Berkley, you're quoting the nutcases, and I'm not going to defend them, they should have allowed Milo to speak and Milo should have been shouted down by the vast majority of that campus that feels the opposite way. Also of note, Berkley is a private college, they're not a government institution, they're allowed to do what they want with their property. I'm not forced to allow protesters into my private residence, nor are they forced to allow anyone access to their private property.

As I said before: statues are symbols and symbols are always removed because culture changes and the symbols become out of date, or in most cases a society falls to another and replaces those symbols. For every pristine statue from antiquity there are hundreds more defaced or completely destroyed. That's why I advocate not putting too much faith in a symbol, if you're acting towards the stated ideals of what the symbol represents that's a much more powerful statement then worshiping an idol. I'm sorry, I just don't see any inherent benefit of them, that goes for everything from the Washington monument to the MLK statue to any of these confederate statues that are the topic, to even the American flag for that matter. I'm concerned with the philosophy and direction of movements, not the signifiers, because the signifiers have no meaning without the attached philosophy, in fact they wouldn't even exist without it. On a more practical side of that argument, many philosophies and movements can reach harmony with one another, but not when people are constantly pushing their pride symbols first and foremost over attempting to reach agreement.

On a completely unrelated note, some asshat put a giant, and I mean giant U.S. flag up on his hill right next to where my house is located. The flag whips around at night and creates a loud snapping sound in the wind in which used to be a silent remote area (the reason I moved here). It wakes me up at night and grades on my auditory senses during the day, and makes the dogs from my other two neighbors bark incessantly when it snaps. So no, I'm not a big fan of flags at all at the moment.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:33 am

Robert E. Lee statue is taken-down, overnight, in Dallas:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-dalla ... SKCN1BQ07Z

Angered anti-statue-removal people had demonstrated, when they first heard word, that it would be coming-down----but, they removed it, anyway. The "Sons of Confederate Veterans" went to court, to stop it, but they, too, were not successful.

I'm thinking that if the South, of all places, is going to be doing all this anti-Confederate stuff, TOO, this is really gonna get serious, and really put some people, up-in-arms (maybe, literally, armed)----and, all it takes is another nutcake, who snaps, and kills another person(s), for ALL white people / Southerners, AGAIN, to be denigrated / held accountable, for that ONE person.

Again / STILL, my argument, is: Why is it that the FOR-removal people get THEIR way / rights, but the ANTI-removal people, are NOT allowed THEIR rights?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
No statues are 'offensive'. Anyone who think the Civil war was good vs evil and all about slavery is in denial.

Anyone that thinks it was purely about state's rights is delusional, if it were they wouldn't have copied the Supremacy Clause from the United States Constitution to the confederate constitution pretty much word for word.

That doesn't mean it was about slavery.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 5:29 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Robert E. Lee statue is taken-down, overnight, in Dallas:

Angered anti-statue-removal people had demonstrated, when they first heard word, that it would be coming-down----but, they removed it, anyway. The "Sons of Confederate Veterans" went to court, to stop it, but they, too, were not successful.

I'm thinking that if the South, of all places, is going to be doing all this anti-Confederate stuff, TOO, this is really gonna get serious, and really put some people, up-in-arms (maybe, literally, armed)----and, all it takes is another nutcake, who snaps, and kills another person(s), for ALL white people / Southerners, AGAIN, to be denigrated / held accountable, for that ONE person.

Again / STILL, my argument, is: Why is it that the FOR-removal people get THEIR way / rights, but the ANTI-removal people, are NOT allowed THEIR rights?

I suspect as with Charleston and other southern cities removing statues this is being done because local officials are intimidated and getting caught up in the emotion of the moment.

The pro statue people and people who don't care about the statues but are tired of their governments cowering if they feel strong enough should vote these officials out of office instead of voting yet more incumbents back in.

I personally do not care about pieces of concrete, but the precedent that has been set is frightening the hell out of me.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 5:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I suspect as with Charleston and other southern cities removing statues this is being done because local officials are intimidated and getting caught up in the emotion of the moment.

The pro statue people and people who don't care about the statues but are tired of their governments cowering if they feel strong enough should vote these officials out of office instead of voting yet more incumbents back in.

I agree----and, I feel they're being really STUPID, cuz like you say, they can be voted-out; but, I ALSO feel they're doing it, cuz they're afraid they will be voted-out, if they don't.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 6:11 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I agree----and, I feel they're being really STUPID, cuz like you say, they can be voted-out; but, I ALSO feel they're doing it, cuz they're afraid they will be voted-out, if they don't.

I think they are being intimidated by the fear of their city being branded as racist and ensuing boycotts and riots.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

The local county in Dallas have made a sensible decision in the interest of maintaining civil law and order to remove such an offensive statue.

It may be a "lump of concrete" but it dedicates/glorifies what Robert E Lee fought for which is offensive in this modern era. Racists who want public monuments can "happily" visit museums where they can view other creepy things like KKK white sheets and pictures of lynchings which were a hallmark of the era they yearn for...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 12:43 am

...I've already lost a draft of his due to my phone, CC, so I will be iting this in installments...
I was going to start a line about the " Big D Lee flee spree glee! " (Okay, okay, okay - :mrgreen: - I always wanted to write headlines for New York City tabloids :wink: .), but, since it's in here...But, to start it out...
Bluntly, the interests of those who want the statues taken off of public land, and the interests of those who wish the statues to emain on public kand, or " rights ", as you put it...essentially run 100 percent in opposition to each other. The " anti- staches " want them gone from public land. The " pro-staches " want them kept on publc land.
Remember that leader of the Charlottesville pro-staches legal fight, who, in a TV address, referred to " Martin Luther C**n "? I wonder how many times he said that in private? Now, I' m not saying every pro-stach is like him...Who was, identally, obviously a person of some position and wealth, to be leading a legal fight. Hardly a " Bubba ".
IIRC, your position about the statues' presence on public land was " the people who don't like the statues should just stay away from that part of town "...I am t saying you were thinking of this, but I believe that, in at least some cases in thhe past, the statues were meant to mark " This is the white man's part of town, N.s, STAY OUT! :twisted: "...

at"]Robert E. Lee statue is taken-down, overnight, in Dallas:

[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 12:51 am

ASS-P wrote:
." the people who don't like the statues should just stay away from that part of town "...I am t saying you were thinking of this, but I believe that, in at least some cases in thhe past, the statues were meant to mark " This is the white man's part of town, N.s, STAY OUT! :twisted: "...

Statues aren't needed to mark off white areas in a town, hipster restaurants usually are a sign the area is "white"

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 5:14 am

...I meant the offical, enforced by law or very strong custom, Jim Crow days, not modern times.

rdad"]

ASS-P wrote:
." the people who don't like the statues should just stay away from that part of town "...I am t saying you were thinking of this, but I believe that, in at least some cases in thhe past, the statues were meant to mark " This is the white man's part of town, N.s, STAY OUT! :twisted: "...

Statues aren't needed to mark off white areas in a town, hipster restaurants usually are a sign the area is "white"[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 11:40 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
No statues are 'offensive'. Anyone who think the Civil war was good vs evil and all about slavery is in denial.

Anyone that thinks it was purely about state's rights is delusional, if it were they wouldn't have copied the Supremacy Clause from the United States Constitution to the confederate constitution pretty much word for word.

That doesn't mean it was about slavery.

Ah, but the narrative is that The War Between the States was all about slavery and nothing else, and that Robert E. Lee was a renowned slave beater. Go against that narrative and your a troll and a bully. :shameonyou: