Supermarket “Quiet Hour” (sensory-friendly experience)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 7:15 pm

Meanwhile in Australia:

Quote:
The supermarket began its “Quiet Hour” pilot program at the Ringwood and Balwyn East Coles stores in Victoria on Tuesday.
As part of the sensory-friendly experience, designed in partnership with Autism Spectrum Australia, changes include lowering Coles Radio to the lowest volume, dimming the lights by 50 per cent, turning down register and scanner volumes to the lowest level, removing roll cages from the shop floor, avoiding PA announcements and offering free fruit at customer service.

Quote:
Coles said the Quiet Hour was not limited to people on the spectrum and anyone who may benefit from the experience was encouraged to come along.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/i-was-fighting-back-the-tears-melbourne-mum-praises-coles-for-sensoryfriendly-shopping-trial/news-story/1dea23c020bb0c5c541168d509c25555

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 7:29 pm

An overabundance of rude shoppers is what causes my senses to overload and shopping at 5am is the only way to avoid that barbarian horde.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:49 am

Well, either early morning or late evening before closing time usually is calmer.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Aug 2017, 6:17 am

This is a good thing!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

supermoon
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2017, 6:36 am

Shrapnel wrote:
An overabundance of rude shoppers is what causes my senses to overload and shopping at 5am is the only way to avoid that barbarian horde.

Rude shoppers are what gets me as well. Carparks and queues also stress me out.
I work shift work so I am able to go to the supermarket on weekdays which is much better than Weekends. I won't even go to the supermarket on the weekend and to be honest sometimes I just won't go at all and I order online.

I think this is a great initiative and hope it continues and expands....possibly over to Pascoe Vale Coles thank you .

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

I occasionally went to a '24 hour' supermarket in East London at around 2 am or 3 am. It was pretty much empty, and thus a relaxed experience from that point of view, but walking through the nearby deserted streets and carpark was a creepy and stressful business - you never knew who might be watching and waiting....