Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 2:56 am

In the late 1970's Nazis wnted to march through the Chicago suburb of Skokie. One of six Skokie residents were Holocaust survivors. The Goverment tried to ban these marches but the ACLU successfully fought the ban despite the resignations of several Jewish members. The march went off with minimal protest. The bored Nazis ended thier march in 10 minutes. Despite their "appeasement" the Jewish residents of Skokie were not eliminated. Times have changed. A significant portion of Americans believe if speech is odoius enough it should be shut down by any means necessary.

As a kid I was often bullied while bieng called "k*e". On most holy days vandels painted swaticas on my place of worship., If Nazis abused thier rights and marched down my street it would be extremely difficult to withhold from attacking them.

The courts upheld the bastards right to march for a reason. The ACLU took on the case because it is so tempting to make an free speech exception for Nazis. The first amendment needs to be upheld because one day our views might be considered odoius enough that we would be banned from expressing it. Maybe one day your pro Neurodivesity opinion will be considered damaging because it prevents the eradication of a horrible disease. If you are anti neurodiversity you experieced bieng compared to Nazis and censorship.

There is an old principle that is unfortunately going by wayside. Freedom comes with costs

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman