"Six Flags", Texas Says "NO" to Confederate Flag Removal

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

Stardust Parade wrote:
I hate to say it, but....I've never met anyone from Texas that I've liked. All the people I've met from there seem to have this gross attitude about things being "bigger and better" in Texas, die hard republicans, ultra conservative, religious nut jobs. Again, these are only the people I've MET. I'm not saying everyone from there is like that, but all of the people I've met from there have been like that. But ya, I could really care less what Texas does. I'm from California so I guess I'd be considered a liberal hippy. :lol:

Speaking as a Texan who is also anti-Bible Belt, I never saw Californian culture as being hippy-like growing up. I saw it being more rough due to skateboarding, hardcore punk (especially Black Flag and Bad Religion), and thrash metal coming from there. Outside from Austin and some less Bible Belty areas, I abhor Texas culture. Country music, Wal-Mart, roadkill, smell of gasoline, urine, beer, cigarettes, and vomit in the air in some places, and STDs as well as domestic violence despite the heavy Baptist presence is sickening to the core.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad: Would you mind if you were told to ditch the Australian flag, in shame of foreign wars?

I personally like the union jack although I think a floral emblem like the New Zealand flag is the way to go. Australia has some unique flora such as wattles, kangaroo paw and bottlebrush that would make great emblem

For Texas why don't they have a yellow rose or blue bonnett on the flag. I think there is a more stronger connection to the land when you have animals on a coat of arms or flora

You didn't answer the question, though..... What if somebody told you that you could ABSOLUTELY NOT have the Union Jack----how would you feel about that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:15 pm

I don't really care for Confederate flags or symbols. If I see one in an establishment, I would feel reluctant to enter the place---because I would not be feel welcome (as a Yankee, in particular--and, perhaps, as a Jew).

But I think the razing of those symbols sets a bad precedent. All this tit-for-tat is happening because of it.

I really wouldn't want somebody taking down, say, Mount Rushmore.......

I've heard good justifications for having Confederate symbols---and I've heard the other type, too.

If I had a friend who had a Confederate flag in his/her home, and we otherwise got along, I wouldn't drop the friendship because of it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 3:29 pm

TMZ just reported, unfortunately, that "Six Flags", Texas, just removed their Confederate flag----BUMMER!!

Not only is it a bummer, cuz they caved----it's a bummer, cuz I would bet, almost anything, that most people didn't even know it was there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad: Would you mind if you were told to ditch the Australian flag, in shame of foreign wars?

I personally like the union jack although I think a floral emblem like the New Zealand flag is the way to go. Australia has some unique flora such as wattles, kangaroo paw and bottlebrush that would make great emblem

For Texas why don't they have a yellow rose or blue bonnett on the flag. I think there is a more stronger connection to the land when you have animals on a coat of arms or flora

You didn't answer the question, though..... What if somebody told you that you could ABSOLUTELY NOT have the Union Jack----how would you feel about that?

It would feel weird at first, but you would just get used to it. After all it's just a flag

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

I would feel really bad if I wasn't allowed to salute the American flag.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 11:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't really care for Confederate flags or symbols. If I see one in an establishment, I would feel reluctant to enter the place---because I would not be feel welcome (as a Yankee, in particular--and, perhaps, as a Jew).

I don't know that Confederates are/were antisemites. There is a Confederate Jewish cemetery in Richmond. The Confederate Secretary of War, Judah Benjamin, was a Jew. There have been Jews in the South since the early colonial era.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:01 am

They'll have to outlaw this car next:

And remove Dukes of Hazard reruns.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:19 am

It was principally a symbol of racism. It wasn't widely used in the Civil War, and gained prominence as a symbol of racism after Reconstruction, exactly like the statues. People who want to salute it should feel bad.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:18 am

A quick google search reveals the flag faded into obscurity until 1948 when the “Dixiecrat” Party formed in protest to the Democratic Party convention’s adoption of a civil rights plank. The Confederate flag became a symbol of protest against civil rights and in support of Jim Crow segregation. While the Dixiecrat party died off the use of the dixie flag as a symbol of anti-integration adopted by the KKK and right wing groups.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:31 am

Ah, so it's even more recent.

Heritage! Based on racist lies, and bearing no relation to actual history, but show some respect for Heritage!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:21 am

I guess it depends upon the establishment which displays the Confederate flag.

Some of them, and some organizations, have adopted the flag for intentions which the real Confederates didn't intend.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:00 am

EzraS wrote:
And remove Dukes of Hazard reruns.

They already DID----after that Dylann Roof incident (there's a thread, on here, about it: http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=288795). If that show is still on, somewhere, maybe they put it back, after the dust settled, or something----I dunno.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:18 am

As for that flag being more recent, and fading into obscurity: It did NOT----maybe in PUBLIC, it did; but, for people, like my family, who are Southern and had a relative(s) who were actually IN the Civil War, those flags have been-around "forever", and passed-down through MANY generations----so, it IS our heritage!!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:20 pm

Some people refuse to criticize their ancestors, no matter how vile the causes that they acted to support. It's some social rule. I don't get it.

I completely disavow my numerous racist ancestors. While their actions would seem brave in the abstract, they supported a despicable cause and held evil beliefs. Who knows what else they did in secret with racist attitudes and a willingness to act on them? I won't stand shoulder to shoulder with them, or my living racist relatives.

For some people, mostly older and frightened of the world, clinging to a glorious fabrication feels more respectable then uncovering the toxicity at its core.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:27 pm

I know that some Confederates weren't racists--so I don't equate the two.

But the Confederate "battle flag" has been appropriated by white supremacists types. Even in the North.