Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

I get very narrowly focused on 1 or 2 subjects so intensely that it can lead to physical pain. Then I finally break the cycle and think in a whole pattern again, without the intensity of the subject matter. I can break away, but it takes a great deal of refocusing my energy. When I get pulled into a topic- such as cluster in which I am interested, all I can think of is that particular subject (or maybe a counter subject) and nothing else. This is very distracting to me and it can cause depression and anxiety because I want to know so much about that subject, but I find myself either defending a cause or trying to figure out my true intentions (politics and history are much of the root of these issues).

Examples: I get stuck on Country Music, The South, WWII, my physical appearance, Jews, contemporary politics, etc. When I get stuck on these things they don't bring pleasure, but they bring pain because of the polarizing opinions therein.
If someone says "I like all kinds of music, except Country". I want to defend Country Music with passion and vigor and explain to them how important it is they at least give it a try. I know these are opinions. They ruin the whole musical experience for me when people polarize a certain genre: i.e. Country, Folk,etc. I have a desire to be right! I will start asking random strangers if they love Country Music? Why shouldn't they love it? Then I talk about Country Music incessantly. I am supposed to enjoy country music, but I can't handle opposition.

The irony is, intense subjects usually are pleasurable. I have those too- such as music and hobbies I enjoy . But these are topics in which I get intensely heated about, maybe because some of them are contested.
Does anyone else get this cycle of subject interest that comes and goes?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

I can get stuck on certain topics, too.

I like listening to old radio airchecks from a certain NYC AM station which aired in the mid 50s--late 60s.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 4:09 pm

The answer is yes, totally. I am trying to break out of one at the moment, it's horrible.

BBC: Radio 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

Was kinda like that when I was younger.

I designed a game that simulated naval warfare of the WWII. And would be obsessed with pairing off ships that never actually fought (like fantasy football), or would try to arrange it so that battleships could sink aircraft carriers because I thought battleships are cooler (in the real war the opposite was a more common occurrence ).

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:59 am

Rafael Nadal is one of my favorite tennis players, but I get so nervous watching his matches lately. I worry he may get hurt again. I have had injury worries about Denis Istomin as well. I also hate when people say nasty things about my favorite tennis players on comment pages. One tennis board I was on was so nasty I quit posting on it. The things they said about Roger, Rafa and Denis were disgusting.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

I go through phases with my interests where they will become more intense for a while and then go back down in intensity again. When I am really interested in one thing, then all of my other interests become extremely boring. I can get really fired up and angry when someone says something I disagree with about one of my interests, though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

Due to the recent events in Spain, my interest in that country has come back strong. Two of my favorite tennis players are Spanish/Catalan, so that was a double dose of a strong interest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:36 pm

IstominFan wrote:
Due to the recent events in Spain, my interest in that country has come back strong. Two of my favorite tennis players are Spanish/Catalan, so that was a double dose of a strong interest.

My interest in AGT is dying down a little bit because I spend all my time posting here. I hope that happens to me (I get my strong interest back)! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

My special interest in Victorian London and England has come back with a vengeance. I find myself wasting half of my free time that I could use doing chores and working on my crafts watching videos about Victorian stuff on YouTube. I think there's also a bit of a silver lining, because I'm learning what a lot of my ancestors went through and it gives me an appreciation for how much easier things are today. I remember having that exact same special interest my first two summers here on WP. Hmmm....I wonder if my interest in Swinging London and Carnaby Street will resurface in two years time. Wouldn't that be something.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

I'm like this with 2 things - legislation and philosophy.
I get irritated by people who dismiss these things in favour of feelings or personal opinions. It's why I gave up posting in PPR.