Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 7:48 am

Nearly every post I've read on this forum, as well as most articles about Asperger's list quirks/traits that Aspies are supposed, so I thought I would write a list that listed traits that every Aspie should have and if you don't, then maybe you're no Autistic.

To be considered an Aspie, you must:

1. Possess a special skill/talent, (I don't);
2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy;
3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload, (I don't, although I do have taste/smell overlods);
4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people, (I can);
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice, (I can do this);
6. Be a systemiser, (systems are of no interest to me. My CD collection is no particular order. I don't have a system
for cleaning my home - which is untidy);
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation;
8. Be hypermobile, (I'm not);
9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child;
10. Have no understanding of idioms, (I understand idioms);
11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc. I sometimes loudly and quickly, sometimes, when talking to myself, or my
cats, my voice is normal);

Given that I don't meet the above criteria, I guess I don't have Asperger's & that I must have over-exaggerated/lied at my assessment. All the academic papers/articles/forum posts make me think that if you don't have certain characteristics/quirks, then how can you say that you're an Aspie.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

I think you maybe...er....going over the top a little?

Just putting it out there like...

None of us have every single item on the list. Oh by the way you missed the abilty to be able to give the day if the week for a date 50 years into the future or 50 years in the past.

I have to confess it has been a while since I flew over a city in helicopter for half and hour and then drew and exact copy on a massive wall...I must get into doing that again sometime soon. But there I go being ironic (although perhaps lacking humour)

I think you may have misunderstood 1, 2 and 3 BTW

BBC: Radio 4

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:39 am

I am very similar. I scored surprisingly low on the systems test, probably because I am not good with computers or mechanical things at all. I use the computer to type and surf the internet. I have no understanding of the inner workings of computers. I am not good with technology in general, but I would like to become better.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:52 am

I think there's a problem in rigidly defining anything like ASD by a checklist , as in you meet a,b,c ,d , e and f you have it and someone else meets a,b,d and f therefore they don't.
It's not a one size fits all diagnosis. Some 'symptoms' occur more frequently than others amongst us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:57 am

It's not so "cut and dry."

An example:

Aspies are not like robots when it comes to empathy (though they might want to portray that image).

Leeds_Demon

20 Aug 2017, 9:01 am

Voxish: I could have gone on listing criteria, but it would have made for a very long post.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:09 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
That one is total crap.
Gimme a minute to find a reference to post; I know there are many out there.

Ah, here's one; http://www.kennethrobersonphd.com/asper ... m-empathy/

Quote:
What is critical to understanding empathy in those with Asperger’s is the idea of having an appropriate emotional response to another person’s thoughts and feelings. A person may care that someone else feels hurt or pain, is confused and worried, has doubts and wants comfort, but at the same time not know how to respond in a way that fits that particular situation. This is what makes those with Asperger’s different and where the idea that they lack empathy comes from.

Asperger’s makes it hard to know what it takes to address someone else’s concerns. The desire to respond may be there, the wish to help, to reach out and comfort may be there, however understanding how to may not. The resulting effect is, as so often occurs, the stigma of having no empathy, of being callous or unfeeling.
Asperger’s and Too Much Empathy

Swiss researchers Henry and Kamila Markram argue that the fundamental problem in Asperger’s is a hypersensitivity to experience. Everything is overwhelming. Lights, sounds, smells, tastes, and emotional experiences are intensified. The person easily feels overpowered, anxious and fearful.

The Markrams believe that people with Asperger’s Syndrome, rather than not feeling enough, feel too much. What looks like coldness and aloofness to the outside world is actually a response to being overwhelmed by emotion. It is an excess of empathy, not a lack of it, that plagues those with Asperger’s.

Furthermore, feeling so much intensity leads to intense fear, according to the Markrams, along with withdrawal and self-soothing behavior, exactly the sort of repetitive movements and failure to make eye contact that is typical of those with Asperger’s.

Here's that study referred to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518049/

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

I'd like to point out that most of the stereotypical traits for asperger's are really just stereotypical traits for boys with asperger's, since Hans Asperger only worked with boys. Hooray for bad research bias!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:54 am

1. Possess a special skill/talent: I don't really.

2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy: Not to that degree

3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload: Nope. There's many times I don't have one under those conditions. And other times when I have one without warning.

4. Be unable to recognize the facial expressions of other people: I'm not very good at it, but I can get some right.

5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice: I'm better at tone of voice.

6. Be a systemiser, (systems are of no interest to me. My CD collection is no particular order. I don't have a system
for cleaning my home: My room is what my mom calls "organized chaos".

7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation: I've never been that big on that. I go though phases.

8. Be hypermobile: I have no idea what that has to do with autism and I'm not.

9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child: Nope.

10. Have no understanding of idioms, (I understand idioms): I get them more often than not.

11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc. I sometimes loudly and quickly, sometimes, when talking to myself, or my
cats, my voice is normal); I don't talk. But I make weird sounds sometimes.

I was fully diagnosed by the time I was 3. How do you test a 3-year-old's understanding of idioms and so on?

Last edited by EzraS on 20 Aug 2017, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:55 am

Barchan wrote:
I'd like to point out that most of the stereotypical traits for asperger's are really just stereotypical traits for boys with asperger's, since Hans Asperger only worked with boys. Hooray for bad research bias!

This^^^

Also, a lot of those symptoms are stereotypes (possessing a special skill or talent, systemizer, etc.), and you don't need to have every symptom. I know you are doubting the fact you do because you think you over-exaggerated at your assessment, but that's normal for anyone who gets a diagnosis. Instead of focusing on the traits you do not have, try focusing on the ones you do. For example, I don't hoard objects. Does that mean I don't have OCD? Of course not- my OCD is severe according to the Y-BCOS. Just because I don't have that trait doesn't mean anything. It's the same with autism. I can read facial expressions fine. Does that automatically exclude me from having autism? No- I have many other problems with non-verbal communication as well as a whole list of other symptoms. It's hard to see your diagnosis in this way, but trust me, it's better for you to look at it rationally and subjectively instead of obsessing over the traits you don't exhibit.

Hope this helps :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:58 am

Barchan wrote:

Most of them don't really apply to me much if at all regardless.

But then again, I'm not an aspie :P

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 11:09 am

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Voxish: I could have gone on listing criteria, but it would have made for a very long post.

I know that 8) Has someone upset you or are you genuinely doubting your diagnosis? I don't live too far from you (off to the cricket next weekend) There is a NAS support group near you I think if you need someone to chat too.

BBC: Radio 4

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm

Here's what I fit from your "criteria":

1. Possess a special skill/talent, (I don't); Me neither
2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy; No way!
3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload, (I don't, although I do have taste/smell overlods); I don't get meltdowns right after sensory overload, most of the time it's something else that pushes me over the edge
4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people, (I can); Used to have immense trouble, but I can do it now
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice, (I can do this); Same as above
for cleaning my home - which is untidy); I am a systemizer, but I don't clean things in a particular order
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation; I am interested in categories, so what?
8. Be hypermobile, (I'm not); I'm not
9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child; Can't remember if I did as a younger child, I do it now sometimes
10. Have no understanding of idioms, (I understand idioms); I understand idioms, I just process them literally before I work out the figurative meaning- which takes less than a second longer than most people
11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc. I sometimes loudly and quickly, sometimes, when talking to myself, or my cats, my voice is normal) My voice is normal most of the time, but it can be really weird/monotone to high pitched and "babyish"

I don't fit most of what you listed either :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Nearly every post I've read on this forum, as well as most articles about Asperger's list quirks/traits that Aspies are supposed, so I thought I would write a list that listed traits that every Aspie should have and if you don't, then maybe you're no Autistic.

3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload, (I don't, although I do have taste/smell overlods);
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice, (I can do this);

Given that I don't meet the above criteria, I guess I don't have Asperger's & that I must have over-exaggerated/lied at my assessment. All the academic papers/articles/forum posts make me think that if you don't have certain characteristics/quirks, then how can you say that you're an Aspie.

OP is troll bait.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:18 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Leeds_Demon wrote:

OP is troll bait.

I disagree- I think they just really doubt their diagnosis and themselves. I had the same exact thoughts when I was doubting my diagnosis.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:20 pm

Quote:

Aspies are capable of learning, and these can be learned.
In my case, this is also true for empathy. I rarely feel it but if I think it through, I can achieve something similar.

Quote:

My desk is a hellscape of untidiness; I LOVE to put things in order, but for some reason, not everything. I actually get unreasonably upset if it is put in order.

PS: You made a list. That's systemising :wink: .