Physical response to Sensory Sensitivity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 8:34 am

Before I was DxD I was seeing neurologists for an issue with uncontrolled muscle movement. My neck and right upper back will quickly tense producing what I guess could be described as a violent twitch and it is often accompanied by a bit of a grunt. Though it can happen spontaneously there are usually triggers and there are factors that make me more sensitive to the triggers.

The triggers are loud sound, flashing lights, being hit in the head (even just a tap), or cold going across my neck. Not having enough sleep, being stressed, or consuming alcohol makes me significantly more susceptible.

The first three neurologists told me Myoclonus was the closest fit for what they observed but there were elements of Dystonia and Tourette's. Later I was visited the Mayo clinic and they did a lot more testing. The said I did not have Myoclonus. They told me they didn't know what caused it but the treatment was helping so they were going to take a treatment based approach. The explained medicine wasn't always an exact science. This coming from some of the best doctors in the country :)

I had been taking Clonazepam, which is often used for Epilepsy and other seizure disorders, but it is also used for anxiety. Now that I know about my Asperger's I wonder if there is any relationship or if it is some some other co-morbid.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:49 pm

I have the kind of "twitches" and muscle spasms you describe, but I never thought about it being related to sensory sensitivity. I think I got those kind of tics/spasms/uncontrollable movements as a result of something wrong with the basal ganglia in my brain. Since OCD is greatly influenced by the basal ganglia, I always just assumed that my OCD had somehow done some sort of "damage" to that part of my brain (I don't know- I'm just speculating here). I don't know if sensory sensitivities are tied to the basal ganglia. I'd have to look it up. It's weird though, because I have almost the exact same tic you describe (shoulder/head movements accompanied by a grunt). Recently, I have started having a tic where I repeat things people say, which isn't fun :D . It's not echolalia because it is involuntary, though.

I hope your day is going well :D . Did you see the eclipse yet? I can't even see it from where I am because it is too cloudy.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

My day is going pretty good. I'm sitting outside right now watching it. Are your ticks random or are they triggered by things? Did you get to watch the eclipse?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:48 pm

soloha wrote:
My day is going pretty good. I'm sitting outside right now watching it. Are your ticks random or are they triggered by things? Did you get to watch the eclipse?

Be careful or you'll go blind :D (joking- but seriously you could go blind). I didn't even get to see it! There were clouds in the way. Oh well, only 40 years or so until the next one.........

My tics are normally triggered by things like emotions (such as happiness or anxiety), but they can come completely at random as well. I don't know whether sensory issues could be a factor in causing them- I'll have to pay closer attention to them.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine