Page 9 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
There are countless trans people who would do anything to serve their country (including myself!) but a fat sleazy draft-dodger is the one calling the shots.

Then why haven't you enlisted, before, in the 13 years, you've been eligible?

... Because I'm trans, like I just said. It hasn't been legal for me to serve for most of my adult life; the ban on openly-trans service members was only lifted in 2016 under Obama.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:03 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
There are countless trans people who would do anything to serve their country (including myself!) but a fat sleazy draft-dodger is the one calling the shots.

Then why haven't you enlisted, before, in the 13 years, you've been eligible?

... Because I'm trans, like I just said. It hasn't been legal for me to serve for most of my adult life; the ban on openly-trans service members was only lifted in 2016 under Obama.

LOLOLOL I KNEW you were gonna say that----but, here's the thing.....

IMO, the operative term, here, is "openly trans"----had you chosen, to, you could've served, as a "closeted trans". You said you would "do anything" to serve your country----so, "anything", IMO, means that you would go-back to dressing / acting like a man, so you could serve.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
IMO, the operative term, here, is "openly trans"----had you chosen, to, you could've served, as a "closeted trans". You said you would "do anything" to serve your country----so, "anything", IMO, means that you would go-back to dressing / acting like a man, so you could serve.

You think being trans is a choice.

I have nothing more to say to you, your lack of empathy is revolting.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:19 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I didn't say being Trans, was a choice----but dressing / acting like you're a man, TEMPORARILY, to serve your country, IMO, COULD be a CHOICE. You're the one who said you'd "do anything"----apparently, you WON'T.

I equate "being Trans" to "being gay", in this sense. I have several gay relatives, and every single one of them, has had to "act straight", at some time, or another----either to gain / keep employment, keep their kids, or just to not be KILLED; and, guess what else? SERVE in the military!!

You're not the first person who's ever had a rough life, because of confusion, fear of violence, feeling of being unwanted / unaccepted, and so-forth (I mean, all anyone has to be, is an ASDer - and look how many of us, are on this website, ALONE)----and, you're CERTAINLY not the first person who has ever had to hide, what / who you are (and, before you say it, I'm not saying you said you were----but, you sure do ACT like it). Like I've said several times, on this site: Almost ANY group has their albatross----the blacks have slavery, the gays have Stonewall, the Indians (Native Americans) have "The Trail of Tears", the Jewish have the Holocaust; and, ALL of those groups, have "hidden"! !

Blacks have been passing for whites (hiding - not been "openly black"), for many, MANY decades. Gays have been passing for straights (hiding - not been "openly gay"), for many, MANY decades. As I've said, before, I was instructed on a regular basis, as a kid, not to tell anyone we were Indian (hide it - not be "openly Indian")----ESPECIALLY, because I was a girl, and as had been going-on, for many, MANY decades, everybody and their brother was gonna wanna have sex with me (and, if I didn't give it to them, they'd TAKE it). And, until you have met / talked-to a Holocaust survivor, who has had to hide that they were Jewish (and then have had a life-long journey of hiding their shame, of being in those camps), and run your fingers over their tattoo, and looked into their ashamed eyes, as *I* have, don't be cryin' me a river (again, that's what you ACT-like, you're doin')----and, if you HAVE met one of them, and STILL think you deserve some kind of special empathy, for your special circumstance, then.....

Who, exactly, is lacking in empathy?

Practically everything that seeps-into public awareness, has to go-through a process, before it is accepted, even by a FRACTION----whether it's a disease (like HIV/AIDS, or Multiple Sclerosis, or Cancer, etc.), or a lifestyle (ie, nudists), or a being (like gays, and Trans-people). We have several advocates, here, on WP, who stand-up for Trans-rights----BUT, they don't beat us about the head and face, with it, so-to-speak, as you, sometimes, do. IMO, the way for people to gain acceptance, is by informing, NOT by taking a defensive stance, and spewing "venom" (I know you don't think you do this - but, I ask you to please, look in the mirror).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I didn't say being Trans, was a choice----but dressing / acting like you're a man, TEMPORARILY, to serve your country, IMO, COULD be a CHOICE. You're the one who said you'd "do anything"----apparently, you WON'T.

I equate "being Trans" to "being gay", in this sense. I have several gay relatives, and every single one of them, has had to "act straight", at some time, or another----either to gain / keep employment, keep their kids, or just to not be KILLED; and, guess what else? SERVE in the military!!

You're not the first person who's ever had a rough life, because of confusion, fear of violence, feeling of being unwanted / unaccepted, and so-forth (I mean, all anyone has to be, is an ASDer - and look how many of us, are on this website, ALONE)----and, you're CERTAINLY not the first person who has ever had to hide, what / who you are (and, before you say it, I'm not saying you said you were----but, you sure do ACT like it). Like I've said several times, on this site: Almost ANY group has their albatross----the blacks have slavery, the gays have Stonewall, the Indians (Native Americans) have "The Trail of Tears", the Jewish have the Holocaust; and, ALL of those groups, have "hidden"! !

Blacks have been passing for whites (hiding - not been "openly black"), for many, MANY decades. Gays have been passing for straights (hiding - not been "openly gay"), for many, MANY decades. As I've said, before, I was instructed on a regular basis, as a kid, not to tell anyone we were Indian (hide it - not be "openly Indian")----ESPECIALLY, because I was a girl, and as had been going-on, for many, MANY decades, everybody and their brother was gonna wanna have sex with me (and, if I didn't give it to them, they'd TAKE it). And, until you have met / talked-to a Holocaust survivor, who has had to hide that they were Jewish (and then have had a life-long journey of hiding their shame, of being in those camps), and run your fingers over their tattoo, and looked into their ashamed eyes, as *I* have, don't be cryin' me a river (again, that's what you ACT-like, you're doin')----and, if you HAVE met one of them, and STILL think you deserve some kind of special empathy, for your special circumstance, then.....

Who, exactly, is lacking in empathy?

Practically everything that seeps-into public awareness, has to go-through a process, before it is accepted, even by a FRACTION----whether it's a disease (like HIV/AIDS, or Multiple Sclerosis, or Cancer, etc.), or a lifestyle (ie, nudists), or a being (like gays, and Trans-people). We have several advocates, here, on WP, who stand-up for Trans-rights----BUT, they don't beat us about the head and face, with it, so-to-speak, as you, sometimes, do. IMO, the way for people to gain acceptance, is by informing, NOT by taking a defensive stance, and spewing "venom" (I know you don't think you do this - but, I ask you to please, look in the mirror).

People shouldn't have to hide who they are, though. The problem wasn't with them, but with the societies that saw them as less than human, whether they be trans, gay, black, Jewish, etc.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:06 pm

I'm not sure if you knew why mushroom princess felt you were being a little cruel at her expense?
She told you she was Trans and you responded with this

Campin_Cat wrote:
LOLOLOL I KNEW you were gonna say that

That does come across as you laughing at her for being Trans

You then say this
Campin_Cat wrote:
You're not the first person who's ever had a rough life, because of confusion, fear of violence, feeling of being unwanted / unaccepted, and so-forth

So I can paraphrase this as : Suck it up (mushroom) princess, I don;t care what you have been through because other people have also had a bad time

and then you say this
Campin_Cat wrote:
Blacks have been passing for whites (hiding - not been "openly black"), for many, MANY decades. Gays have been passing for straights (hiding - not been "openly gay"), for many, MANY decades.
Which is kind of like saying we have been subjecting minorities to discrimination for years and its socially acceptable to get discriminated against so you better hide your trans-sexual nature

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:33 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

[color=#9932CC][b]I didn't say being Trans, was a choice----but dressing / acting like you're a man, TEMPORARILY, to serve your country, IMO, COULD be a CHOICE. You're the one who said you'd "do anything"----apparently, you WON'T.

That's not an option.

If untreated, then trans people have very high suicide inclination.

It's not fair to other soldiers to work around such highly suicidal people.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:25 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

That's not an option.

If untreated, then trans people have very high suicide inclination.

And, you think gays, don't? The suicide rate might be coming-down, as gays are more accepted, all-the-time; but, it certainly wasn't ALWAYS like that. As I said, practically everything of which the public is made-aware, has to go-through a process, until it reaches acceptance----and, IMO, the acceptance of people being Trans, will get there, too.

No, it's not an option, NOW, if this Trans-ban, goes-through----but, again, that hasn't ALWAYS been the case; before, IMO, the "Trans situation" was just what I said: people chose to serve, closeted. I mean, MushroomPrincess, HERSELF, posted a link to a woman who served as a man, during the Civil War:

MushroomPrincess wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Cashier

Here's something a lot of you probably didn't know; a trans person served the union army during the civil war. The US army could use more good soldiers like Albert Cashier.

I read that link, and I don't know if that woman was "actually" Trans (she MAY have been), or she was "just" a woman with great fortitude, who wanted to serve her country----either way, I think she was BEYOND COOL!!

I don't know what you meant, by "If untreated"----I don't know if you meant "if they don't transition", or if you meant "if they don't seek help, with coping with their harassment"----so, I can't address that.....

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:10 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
You're not the first person who's ever had a rough life, because of confusion, fear of violence, feeling of being unwanted / unaccepted, and so-forth (I mean, all anyone has to be, is an ASDer - and look how many of us, are on this website, ALONE)----and, you're CERTAINLY not the first person who has ever had to hide, what / who you are

You think being on the ASD spectrum is comparable to being an LGBT or ethnic minority? Most people don't have any strong opinions about autism, if they even know what it is.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:30 am

Barchan wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
You're not the first person who's ever had a rough life, because of confusion, fear of violence, feeling of being unwanted / unaccepted, and so-forth (I mean, all anyone has to be, is an ASDer - and look how many of us, are on this website, ALONE)----and, you're CERTAINLY not the first person who has ever had to hide, what / who you are

You think being on the ASD spectrum is comparable to being an LGBT or ethnic minority?

In regard to what I've underlined, yes.

Barchan wrote:
Most people don't have any strong opinions about autism, if they even know what it is.

Really----then, who's doing all the emotional / physical abuse, about which some people, on here, have posted?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Barchan wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

You think being on the ASD spectrum is comparable to being an LGBT or ethnic minority?

In regard to what I've underlined, yes.

Barchan wrote:
Most people don't have any strong opinions about autism, if they even know what it is.

Really----then, who's doing all the emotional / physical abuse, about which some people, on here, have posted?

Let's be sensible, you can't equate ASD with being LGBT. I've never been in fear of violence due to ASD, never had people call me names or abuse me or want to hassle me. Never feared my parents kicking me out and no Muslim has ever tried throwing me from a high building.

Sure people with ASD may get bullied at school but so do LGBT people. Of the ASD people that suffer physical abuse it's probably mainly from immediate family members.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 6:28 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Let's be sensible, you can't equate ASD with being LGBT. I've never been in fear of violence due to ASD, never had people call me names or abuse me or want to hassle me. Never feared my parents kicking me out and no Muslim has ever tried throwing me from a high building.

Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen!!

I've had alot of these things, done to me (as have many others, on here, ALONE)----including someone trying to throw me off a building and my mother throwing me out of the house (I was 17 and I never went back); just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's never happened. The point IS, that people can "get over it", or they can play the victim, for the rest of their lives.

Chichikov wrote:
Sure people with ASD may get bullied at school but so do LGBT people.

EXACTLY----so, what's the problem?

Chichikov wrote:
Of the ASD people that suffer physical abuse it's probably mainly from immediate family members.

Does it matter from where the abuse comes? Is it not still hurtful?

Does it matter that it seems that more ASD people are KILLED by their parents, as opposed to LGBTQ?

I can't find the exact post I was looking-for, but someone posted on here, some time ago, a link to a site that keeps a running list of parents who kill their autistic kids----and, there's several threads on here, about filicides. On this site, ALONE, the number is staggering (it may not be ONLY parents - I saw some, listing "caretakers").....

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's never happened.

Where did I say I don't believe it happens or say that it doesn't happen? My point is that while some people probably do suffer this from ASD I don't doubt it pails into insignificance compared to the percentage of LGBT people who suffer this abuse which is why it can't be compared.

Campin_Cat wrote:
Does it matter from where the abuse comes? Is it not still hurtful?

Yes it matters. How many people are there who are your immediate family? Now how many strangers are there? Getting abuse from your immediate family is obviously bad, but if you're habitually abused by strangers then the chances of you being abused on a daily basis is higher.

Campin_Cat wrote:
Does it matter that it seems that more ASD people are KILLED by their parents, as opposed to LGBTQ?

My argument is really about the amount of abuse and its likelihood. I sure the parents of severely autistic children do find the pressure high and sometimes that probably does lead to infanticide. However compare that to the likelihood that an LGBTQ person could get assaulted and potentially killed just for going out on a Friday or Saturday night.

To sum up some ASD people probably do suffer abuse from some people, but LGBTQ people are far more likely to run a daily gauntlet of abuse every time they leave their house.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:47 pm

GOOD HEAVENS!! I've never seen you make such unbelievably ignorant posts----in-fact, I often agree with some of the stuff, you say. I'm NOT saying you should feel sorry for ANY ASDer----I AM saying, though, that I don't believe that Trans-people suffer any more than ASDers; and, interestingly, you're saying alot of what I'M saying, and at-the-same-time, saying it isn't SO (for instance: "Sure people with ASD may get bullied at school but so do LGBT people."). LOL How does that, make sense to you?

Chichikov wrote:
...if you're habitually abused by strangers then the chances of you being abused on a daily basis is higher.

Yes, just as some ASDers are "habitually abused by strangers".

Chichikov wrote:
My argument is really about the amount of abuse and its likelihood. I sure the parents of severely autistic children do find the pressure high and sometimes that probably does lead to infanticide. However compare that to the likelihood that an LGBTQ person could get assaulted and potentially killed just for going out on a Friday or Saturday night.

I didn't say "infanticide", I said "filicide"----you obviously didn't read my link; there's practically every age on there, from 2 to 85 (85-year-old was killed by her son - and there is a 47-year-old, on there, who was killed my her husband [doesn't sound like "severely autistic", to ME, if she managed to get married]).

Compare that to an ASDer who could get killed, just by staying IN, "on a Friday or Saturday night".

Chichikov wrote:
To sum up some ASD people probably do suffer abuse from some people, but LGBTQ people are far more likely to run a daily gauntlet of abuse every time they leave their house.

And, some ASDers don't even have to leave their house.

Again, I'm not asking anybody to feel sorry for ASDers----and I'm certainly not asking anyone to feel sorry for ME, cuz I don't have a victim mentality----what I'm saying, generally speaking, is that nobody should feel sorry for Trans-people, any MORE than they do for ASDers (ESPECIALLY, the Trans-person, theirself, shouldn't feel sorry for themselves), or any other person. NO ONE can say that their life is any worse than anybody else's, cuz they haven't lived anyone else's life----and, as I've said before, on here, to each person who's had a rough life, their life if the worst, cuz they're the ones having to live it; but, that doesn't mean, that it IS, in-fact, any worse than anyone else's.

Tell ya what.....

Find us some numbers..... You find us some hard numbers that say that more Trans-people get abused / killed, for being Trans, than do ASDers get abused / killed, for being ASDers; then, we'll see----cuz, I haven't found any, yet, and I've been lookin', this whole time.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:48 pm

[quote="Campin_Cat"]I've had alot of these things, done to me (as have many others, on here, ALONE)----including someone trying to throw me off a building and my mother throwing me out of the house (I was 17 and I never went back); just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's never happened. The point IS, that people can "get over it", or they can play the victim, for the rest of their lives.
It sounds to me like you're a bit bitter because nobody ever took your problems seriously (which I'm sorry to hear about by the way, and I'm always here if you need to talk), and your idea of "getting over it" includes begrudging others for wanting their problems taken seriously.

And the proverbial crabs are just click-clacking away...

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Find us some numbers..... You find us some hard numbers that say that more Trans-people get abused / killed, for being Trans, than do ASDers get abused / killed, for being ASDers; then, we'll see----cuz, I haven't found any, yet, and I've been lookin', this whole time.

That's the crux of the matter, I don't have any data (haven't looked) and neither do you, I'm purely stating an opinion, probably one biased by own experiences, likewise you are merely stating your opinion biased by your own experiences. However given the way society is I'd be surprised if autistic people suffered as much abuse as LGBTQ people, I think most people would probably be of the same opinion, especially given that it's far more likely that people are not going to know an autistic person is autistic.