Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BlackStar1988
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2017, 10:21 am

Hi everyone,

Are there people who also have a nonverbal learning disorder (NVLD) ?

I originally got diagnosed with an ASS but when I went to a psychiatrist to get a confirmation of my diagnosis (which is mandatory) she told me that she thought I'd rather have a NVLD. She wasn't sure though and tought it might be possible that I have both an ASS and a NVLD. In the end she did give me a confirmation of my ASS diagnosis though.

In the past, someone told me that I might have an NVLD but they weren't sure (it's always the same thing, sigh...) I mentioned this to the assessment center where I got my testing done but the psychologist bluntly said that NVLD is not a valid diagnosis because it's not in the DSM-V so it had to be an ASS.
The psychiatrist however told me to get further testing done because she thought it was wrong of the assessment center to not look further into the possiblity of NVLD.
Do you think I should get this done to know exactly what's going on? The problem is that I already paid a lot of money for my assessment and that it will cost me even more money when I go for another one (that's more exhaustive).

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

Sadly, even though NVLD is a real phenomenon, it has never been included in an edition of the DSM. So, if you meet the requirements for an NVLD diagnosis (a difference of 15+ points between your PIQ and VIQ), you will be given the DSM diagnosis of "learning disorder NOS." That's what happened with me. I suspected I had NVLD long before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. I've always struggled with math and visual-spatial tasks. It was really pronounced when I was a preschooler, as I was hyperlexic and had exceptionally advanced verbal skills.

I took the full WAIS, administered by a neuropsychologist, when I was in college, shortly after I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's. I had a 17-point difference between my PIQ and my VIQ. What's more, I had a 35-point difference between my Perceptual Organization subtest and my Vocabulary subtest.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm

Thanks for this :D ^^^^^^^^

I always get so confused when people talk about NVLD here, since it was never in the DSM. I was hyperlexic and I struggle with math too, but I have no clue if I have traits of NVLD.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine