Anyone want to help me pick out a good computer?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:45 pm

I have been thinking about getting a new laptop recently, and I know that some people here are much better at finding computers that meet my needs than I am. I don't need a load of fancy stuff, but I'm mainly looking for:

-A computer with a DVD drive
-One that can run simple games such as Minecraft and The Sims easily
-One that has a stable connection and has an okay processing speed
-I'd prefer a silver/white computer to a darker one
-15.6" screen or larger
-If you can find one with a touch screen, that would be very nice :wink:

I would like to ask if this is possible to get in the $300-500 price range :D . Thanks!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:51 pm

I guess not :roll: :lol: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

What about HP Pavilion - 15-au106nm?

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c05370435

Sorry, I'm not in your country, so I'm not sure about the price.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 2:17 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
What about HP Pavilion - 15-au106nm?

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c05370435

Sorry, I'm not in your country, so I'm not sure about the price.

Thank you! :D

I will be sure to try and find out how much it costs.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

The Dell Inspiron 15 5000 range looks as if it might fulfill your basic requirements (with the possible exception of touch screen). I saw one of these in a local store recently, i3 Intel processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB storage, DVD drive, it was a metallic grey though it's probably available in other colours. You'd definitely be able to get one for $400-$500 - the one I saw was £399, and prices tend to be higher in the UK.

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy though. I've read a few reviews of these machines on Amazon and elsewhere, and it certainly seems as if Dell might have been letting its quality standards slip compared with past years. You do need to do some homework of your own on this!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

DeepHour wrote:
The Dell Inspiron 15 5000 range looks as if it might fulfill your basic requirements (with the possible exception of touch screen). I saw one of these in a local store recently, i3 Intel processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB storage, DVD drive, it was a metallic grey though it's probably available in other colours. You'd definitely be able to get one for $400-$500 - the one I saw was £399, and prices tend to be higher in the UK.

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy though. I've read a few reviews of these machines on Amazon and elsewhere, and it certainly seems as if Dell might have been letting its quality standards slip compared with past years. You do need to do some homework of your own on this!

Thank you! Don't worry- I really don't need the touch screen! I am definitely in no rush, and I have been looking at computers for over a year now, but I have never seen this one before. I have read reviews on different computers by Dell before and it does seem like their standards are getting lower, at least with certain devices. Thanks again :D !