Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2017, 7:12 am

On 1A the 11am show today will discuss how autism is portrayed in the media. 1A is an hour long show that discusses political and social issues mostly in the United States on weekdays. They spend the entire hour on one topic so it might be interesting. The host is respectful and often uses comments from the Facebook discussion (and takes calls) during the show if anyone has anything to add to the conversation.

http://the1a.org/shows/2017-08-29/on-th ... the-screen

https://www.facebook.com/the1ashow/?hc_ ... TU&fref=nf

"The new Netflix series “Atypical” and the forthcoming ABC show “The Good Doctor” showcase main characters who are on the autism spectrum and show them dealing with romantic and work-related plot lines, respectively.
But in other ways, depictions of autism on-screen have a ways to go. How can writers and producers tell honest, diverse autism narratives that will entertain audiences and challenge our ideas about a mental condition that affects more than 3.5 million Americans?"

The shows are usually available to listen the next day on the website if you don't listen live.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 8:04 am

Thanks so much for the heads up!!
I usually love the show 1A but catch it only when it happens to coincide with my travel schedule. I will make a point to listen today!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

I didn't know about Atypical. Thanks!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:00 am

Ooops it is Noon ET and I just missed it. I am looking forward to listening to the replay version.

Thanks for the info.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:04 am

The 1A episode was quite good, in my opinion. Good opinions all around, but I try to view media representation in the realm in which it is intended. Comedies are meant to tease without being hurtful. Dramas are meant to inform without blaming others. And, most of all, fictional characters come in all kinds without expecting every character to be Hamlet. Audiences and those who are directly affected by poor representation, like autists, should probably be a little more forgiving. Except for the most egregious portrayals (and there are too many), I tend to accept how others are portrayed as only a hint of how real people are.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)