Public land Confederate statues as art?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:26 am

What do you think of the much'argued about public land Confederate memorial statues, in general, as art? Donald Trump has called them " beautiful ". Would you be in agreement with his opinion?
Please, if you can, post some pictues of them to let us get an idea of they look like, in general?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

Personally I'm not really into military statues. I suppose they are art because a talented sculptor did make them.

Art is meant to provoke a response. Sometimes that response is, "wow, that's beautiful". That's my kind of art.

The thing is the response these statues creates is public discord and they get used to justify hate. Maybe they could be stored and shown in a museum for times when such feelings are long forgotten.

I'm sure statues of ceasars and Assyrian leaders of old inspired feelings at the time. But now we are so removed from the politics of the time they are looked upon by us as interesting bits of history and art.

I am not Amercan so they mean nothing to me. I can only see the sculptors detail.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

I have an "aesthetic sense," too, when it comes to art.

I like beautiful things. I don't like ugly things.

I like lots of Salvador Dali.

I don't care too much for Jackson Pollock.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm

I find aged statues of any kind pretty.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm

Well, ASS-P you hit on the dirty little secret the neo-nazi's and their supporters don't want you to know: yes the statues in question the last three weeks are on public land, and they were removed by local governments at the request of the local citizens, the outrage on both sides is coming from people outside those communities.