Why are people offensive and then later genuinely nice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 7:51 pm

When someone is that way towards me I do not know how I should feel about the person?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:27 am

There is no emotion that you "should" feel

But there are emotions that you :cry: do :roll: feel

:jester:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:04 pm

Depends on the person and circumstances.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 1:32 pm

There are innumerable scenarios that can produce mixed feelings, and for me the "should" part of my response -- action, not emotion -- can vary greatly from one to the next...but it almost always includes being a bit wary and watchful around that person, group or whatever in the future. A certain checkout clerk at a local store always greets me warmly when I come in and is pleasant at the register when I leave, but then also seems to go cold and have no time for any conversation even when there is nobody in line behind me. So, I am slowly learning to simply "follow suit" and not expect friendship just because someone has been friendly.

In another setting, everyone on the staff at a certain clinic was very attentive and considerate while I was there in the facility, but then the doctor ignored a question of mine after a procedure...and then someone on the phone with me still later was outright rude, argumentative and even combative when I again tried to get an answer to my question. Although I can understand her not knowing how to answer me, I told her she was no help and hung up the phone. My emotions were hurt and anger, but my action was to simply terminate the conversation immediately and promise myself to never again expect any answers from that place.