Think I'll just have to stay self diagnosed

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2017, 2:41 am

In my limited experience of being diagnosed, and reading comments here on WP, a few things seem to be the order of the day.

1) It is a long wait
2) I get the impression that for adults a referral from a GP is NOT essential. The service that I was diagnosed by (Action for ASD) allows adults to self refer.
3) The assessment process seems to vary from place to place AND person to person. Some indicate a battery of tests, others like me a pre-assessment screening, which is the online multiple choice test, and then a couple of hours chat with an assessor was all I got.

At first I was a bit disappointed that they didn't do the battery of tests that others claim to have, BUT I have come to the conclusion (my own opinion, which may be wrong) that they will only fund the cost of the battery of tests if they are really needed. In other words only people on the border line [at my assessmemt place] would have had the full tests. Any one clearly with AS wouldn't need to have them because the assessor is happy to diagnose without them.

There are plenty hits on Google if you enter "Adult Autism Southend-on-Sea". Who you have seen I don't know, but take a look on Google and see what you can find.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 4:14 am

Quote:
I see no reason why you should have to organize or present anything to facilitate anything. It's up to the person doing the evaluation to test you, and ask questions to elicit any information needed. You're not required to prove anything.

Yup and -
Quote:
In my diagnosis it mentioned history, direct observation, and testing, in coming to a conclusion. If you have relatives that can provide the history, that is all you need to bring. If you can't, they will work with a self reported history. The rest they will do during the evaluation.

Yup.
I suppose it depends on the situation - your age, location / country, the situation you're in and the severity of autism and so on. It also constantly amazes me how much things change when you're coming at a situation that demands all kinds of things from you, and you say "well, I don't have those things, what's the alternative?"
And suddenly there's all kinds of alternatives. Same may be true in this instance.
Would you prefer to be diagnosed, or remain self-diagnosed?

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:47 am

Firemonkey,

My husband's doctor mailed the questionnaire paper work to his mother and sibs. None of them HAD to go to the actual review.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 8:13 am

firemonkey wrote:
The process of gathering info and then organising it to present to facilitate an assessment just seems too difficult for me to cope with. Having read what people have said.

It could certainly appear to be overwhelming. Even my diagnostic encouraging is often too tedious, but, is meant to be an overview of the amount and kinds of work individuals could do for themselves in pursuing a diagnosis. I am often surprised that others succeed in their diagnoses with far fewer records, test scores and such. They usually just rely on a list of the behaviors and characteristics they see in themselves. In the end, preparing for a diagnostic assessment should be only as involved as the individual who creates it wishes it to be. By provoking a better discussion with a clinician, the result is improved. Good luck.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 9:03 am

C2V wrote:
Would you prefer to be diagnosed, or remain self-diagnosed?

Ideally I would like it to be officially recognised that there is more than mental illness going on. Although I believe I have ASD traits I am much less sure about meeting the full criteria. My worry is that a negative result would strengthen the "It's all to do with the mental illness" thinking which, to put it bluntly, is a load of BS .