My Partner has aspergers- the toll on my emotional health

Page 1 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:41 pm

traven wrote:

This is very good. Women don't want you to debate why they are feeling the way they are. They want empathy and to feel validated.

Even as I woman I forget this in talking to other women. It's a bit frustrating because I like a debate, but typically and hypocritically, i do find if I myself am upset I react just the same and feel like my feelings are simply a piece of crap to be swept away when someone debates them rather than saying, 'that sucks I understand why you feel like that'.

Here's another on a similar vein.

imhere
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Sep 2017, 10:18 pm

sly279 wrote:
imhere wrote:
For the OP, there are many of us in your same situation. It is so painful.
For everyone else, I am so curious to understand this. If you feel emotions, and have empathy, but are unable to know how to express them in a relationship, what is it that you are thinking about it when you are feeling it? How are you processing it? Is there something you want to do but don't know what it is? Or do you just shut it off? It always appears to me to be just a shut down or withdrawal, but I'd like to think that is not really how you are experiencing it. I have tried so hard to figure out what is going on in the head of my aspie friend but I cannot understand. It's always just cold and empty, cold and empty, no matter how hard I try.

And I think I know what the OP is saying by lack of empathy and no emotions. It's like if we can't see or feel that you care about us, then whether you do or not, it almost does't matter if the outward behavior appears emotionless because that, to us, is cold and empty. If you don't show it, you might as well not even feel it because we need the connection that comes from showing and reciprocating. Without it, we feel you hate us and that hurts, whether it's true or not, that is what it feels like to us. And that is devastating, devaluing, and humiliating. There is no amount of understanding and patience that can make up for our basic needs not being met. It has to be two ways. I hope someone can explain what is going on inside the aspie mind.

That's a bit cruel. Isn't us doing stuff for you, spending time with yiu, hugs kisses etc does that all show we like you.

As for female friends i dont know I don't have any.
Female coworkers despite how they mean to me, I feel sad when they are sad, but what's the appropriate response that won't make me a creep or make them upset. Doubt they want me to hug them, and that'd be awkward for me. I only hug romantic interests.
I don't feel any physical contact would be appropriate gosh knows feminism says it's sexual harassment, so a pat on the back is out. I'm not super close to them(they dislike me cause I'm worthless and awkward), so I can't say much to them. So I'm left sad for them and express I'm sorry about their situation to another person at work I'm close to.

It'd be different in a relationship, but i dont know what the op is lacking from her bf.
I'm also a more effectionate then other aspies . I desire and need it, other aspies don't like touched by others including romantic partners, maybe her bf is one of those and thus she feels lack of intimate touch to mean he doesn't care. I dont know. She didn't share.

As for support groups for gf/wife's of aspies i dont know. There's aspie groups here but I heard it's mostly single guys and it's at last night so I've never been. Have you searched meet up or asked local therapy places if there's support groups?
I don't imagine there's enough aspie wife's to make the need for support groups unlike aa or abused spouse support groups. Which may be why you can't find any

Sly, that's just it, what many of us find is that the doing stuff, spending time, hugs/kisses are not there. If they are there for you then you are ahead of this problem. You are right about in the workplace and physical things. But between friends, it is the withdrawal and lack of contact or short bursts of contact that are lacking in content making you feel unfulfilled. It's like you thought you had a CLOSE friend, but then more often than not you are treated more like a mere acquaintance and it messed with your head because it does not match what kind of relationship you THOUGHT you had, and so it feels like betrayal or like you were being teased into thinking you had a friend but then he's not there for you and it seems he never cared at all. If you didn't know about the Asperger's you honestly would say F** off because the outward behavior is taken as very mean. But then the problem becomes even worse because you do know about the Asperger's, and so you end up making excuses like "it's the Asperger's, he really does care, he's really my friend, he doesn't mean that, if he doesn't always respond to messages he's just being alone right now, if he doesn't initiate contact it's because he doesn't know how or why to do that, I must mean something to him because he means so much to me...." This goes on and on. But in reality there is no validation that any of this is true. And often it's the opposite. Things you thought based on his previous kind behaviors are countered and thrown upside down. It's agonizing. And this is just with a relationship of friendship. Now everyone here knows by now that I have deeper feelings for my aspie friend, and that probably makes it worse, but I honestly cannot imagine actually being in a relationship like this and how invalidating that would be. None of this is meant to be mean. It is just complete honesty about what it is like to be on the other side of Asperger's and love someone who has it. It is really a cold lonely place.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 10:33 pm

And let's not forget that the more we're criticized for not being this way, the more we tend to close off in general. There are good ways to bring back whatever empathy was there at the onset of a relationship, and there are bad ways to cause a downward spiral.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 1:59 am

imhere wrote:
sly279 wrote:
imhere wrote:
For the OP, there are many of us in your same situation. It is so painful.
For everyone else, I am so curious to understand this. If you feel emotions, and have empathy, but are unable to know how to express them in a relationship, what is it that you are thinking about it when you are feeling it? How are you processing it? Is there something you want to do but don't know what it is? Or do you just shut it off? It always appears to me to be just a shut down or withdrawal, but I'd like to think that is not really how you are experiencing it. I have tried so hard to figure out what is going on in the head of my aspie friend but I cannot understand. It's always just cold and empty, cold and empty, no matter how hard I try.

And I think I know what the OP is saying by lack of empathy and no emotions. It's like if we can't see or feel that you care about us, then whether you do or not, it almost does't matter if the outward behavior appears emotionless because that, to us, is cold and empty. If you don't show it, you might as well not even feel it because we need the connection that comes from showing and reciprocating. Without it, we feel you hate us and that hurts, whether it's true or not, that is what it feels like to us. And that is devastating, devaluing, and humiliating. There is no amount of understanding and patience that can make up for our basic needs not being met. It has to be two ways. I hope someone can explain what is going on inside the aspie mind.

That's a bit cruel. Isn't us doing stuff for you, spending time with yiu, hugs kisses etc does that all show we like you.

As for female friends i dont know I don't have any.
Female coworkers despite how they mean to me, I feel sad when they are sad, but what's the appropriate response that won't make me a creep or make them upset. Doubt they want me to hug them, and that'd be awkward for me. I only hug romantic interests.
I don't feel any physical contact would be appropriate gosh knows feminism says it's sexual harassment, so a pat on the back is out. I'm not super close to them(they dislike me cause I'm worthless and awkward), so I can't say much to them. So I'm left sad for them and express I'm sorry about their situation to another person at work I'm close to.

It'd be different in a relationship, but i dont know what the op is lacking from her bf.
I'm also a more effectionate then other aspies . I desire and need it, other aspies don't like touched by others including romantic partners, maybe her bf is one of those and thus she feels lack of intimate touch to mean he doesn't care. I dont know. She didn't share.

As for support groups for gf/wife's of aspies i dont know. There's aspie groups here but I heard it's mostly single guys and it's at last night so I've never been. Have you searched meet up or asked local therapy places if there's support groups?
I don't imagine there's enough aspie wife's to make the need for support groups unlike aa or abused spouse support groups. Which may be why you can't find any

Sly, that's just it, what many of us find is that the doing stuff, spending time, hugs/kisses are not there. If they are there for you then you are ahead of this problem. You are right about in the workplace and physical things. But between friends, it is the withdrawal and lack of contact or short bursts of contact that are lacking in content making you feel unfulfilled. It's like you thought you had a CLOSE friend, but then more often than not you are treated more like a mere acquaintance and it messed with your head because it does not match what kind of relationship you THOUGHT you had, and so it feels like betrayal or like you were being teased into thinking you had a friend but then he's not there for you and it seems he never cared at all. If you didn't know about the Asperger's you honestly would say F** off because the outward behavior is taken as very mean. But then the problem becomes even worse because you do know about the Asperger's, and so you end up making excuses like "it's the Asperger's, he really does care, he's really my friend, he doesn't mean that, if he doesn't always respond to messages he's just being alone right now, if he doesn't initiate contact it's because he doesn't know how or why to do that, I must mean something to him because he means so much to me...." This goes on and on. But in reality there is no validation that any of this is true. And often it's the opposite. Things you thought based on his previous kind behaviors are countered and thrown upside down. It's agonizing. And this is just with a relationship of friendship. Now everyone here knows by now that I have deeper feelings for my aspie friend, and that probably makes it worse, but I honestly cannot imagine actually being in a relationship like this and how invalidating that would be. None of this is meant to be mean. It is just complete honesty about what it is like to be on the other side of Asperger's and love someone who has it. It is really a cold lonely place.

You sound really emotionally needy and clingy and quite frankly you should find someone who can deliver what you're looking for in a relationship or you're going to be heartbroken for a lifetime.
If you need constant validation, find someone who will validate you.

The people in my life are great because we can not see or contact each other for months and when we do meet up it's like we've never been apart.
There's no constant demands for attention, or resentful thoughts, just the joy of their company.
If they need me they will contact me and vice versa.
They know I love them because I would do anything for them.
I'm extremely loyal and caring.
My friendships are deep and long-lasting.
I've been with my partner for over 20 years and we're still in love.
We just "get" each other.

You need to find someone who will "get" you.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 2:22 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
And let's not forget that the more we're criticized for not being this way, the more we tend to close off in general. There are good ways to bring back whatever empathy was there at the onset of a relationship, and there are bad ways to cause a downward spiral.

In turn there are also ways to build upon prior empathy that aren't really constrained by time.

As cold or indifferent as any of us might seem, we're all alive & conscious; subject to positive change. I know I'm a confusing, awkward guy sometimes, which makes me all the more thankful for love in my life.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:16 am

It's a really typical Man-Women difference conflict, even between non-AS men and women - shown in the video posted by hurtloam.

AS Men are simply less socially adept to know how to deal with it.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 25 Sep 2017, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:22 am

hurtloam wrote:
traven wrote:

This is very good. Women don't want you to debate why they are feeling the way they are. They want empathy and to feel validated.

Even as I woman I forget this in talking to other women. It's a bit frustrating because I like a debate, but typically and hypocritically, i do find if I myself am upset I react just the same and feel like my feelings are simply a piece of crap to be swept away when someone debates them rather than saying, 'that sucks I understand why you feel like that'.

Here's another on a similar vein.

One of the comments:

Quote:

2 years ago
A woman was drowning. I look at her from the dock and said, "I know you do not want me to "fix" your situation. I want you to know that I know what your feeling, the desperation, the fear, you see I almost drowned, so I can relate, I sympathize and have compassion for you. I am sorry this is happening to you. The woman died, but I feel very good that I provided her with the comfort of my sympathy and compassion and did not upset her by "fixing" her situation.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:26 am

I've been married for qute a few years now, and what I see is crucial is that both people in a relationship learn to spot the other person's feelings. Autistic people come in lots of varieties; some learn to read their partner's body language after a while, and others just feel overwhelmed and confused. In any case it is important that the NT partner explains what they are feeling. I have asked my husband to do that for me, as I often have troble with subtle differences in expression. Autistic people will often interpret a lot of strong emotion such as for example 'intense', 'having a headache' 'irritable' or 'stressed out' as plain old 'angry'.

Also, NTs need to get their head around interpreting autistic body language. I know myself that when stress levels get high, I become more and more stone-faced and monosyllabic, which people interpret as not caring, being focused on other things, being unemotional, etc..

This is a two way street. Does the NT partner understand the autistic person's feelings, does he/she support the autistic person when they are having a hard time? Autistic people tend not to ask for help, we're used to being ignored and mocked for asking for help, and sometimes it simply doesn't occur to us that anyone actually could be able to help us.

Also...something to keep in mind about gender roles: some men have been spoilt rotten by their mothers, and they expect a female partner to pick up where their mother left off. This applies to NT men as well as autistic men. The difference is that the NT men to a much larger extent are able to hide their selfishness and appear to care more than they really do. In this respect, autism can be a boon, because with an autistic partner there is some possibility for change, if communication is good.

Have you tried communicating with your partner in writing? Autistic people often express themselves much better that way. Sometimes, and I think this is particularly relevant for the men, a conversation about feelings feels mostly like being pilloried. We are not good at defending ourselves in real time.

About the support sites for partners of autistic men....oh boy. I'm sure there are some nice people there, but some of the NT wives....ye gods. I really think that if they dislike and disrespect their autistic partners so much, they should have left years ago. Some of them write things that, if you allow yourself to think so badly of your partner, it is the death of your relationship. Some autistics end up picking emotionally abusive partners, and it really shows.

I know Tony Attwood chaired some sort of meetup for partners of people with Asperger's in London some time ago. That's a good idea, to get a bunch of partners together, and get an expert clinician in the field to give input. People have a lot of misconceptions about autism.

Sorry, don't know what it's like to be an NT spouse, but at least here you can hear what autistics say for themselves. Just be aware that a lot of people here have suffered a lot of abuse for their autistic behaviors, and that this is one of very few places where people feel safe.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:29 am

Yeah, I've got a female friend and things definitely go much smoother if I just let her vent on me and be understanding first, then try to fix the issue later.

In a way that's quite convenient actually, because empathizing with someone is a hell of a lot easier than actually solving their problems, lol.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:45 am

Sharon1azrn wrote:
Help- is there any support?? I have searched high and low for a support group to talk to others who are in a relationship with someone with Aspergers? Found this site, but unable to find local meet up or support group. Is there anyone out there that can help me lessen the pain I feel and the total lack of empathy from my partner, inability to have emotions, help help help

First I would like to say that we do have emotions and we have the capacity for empathy. Many of us have neurological visual and auditory impairments though in the sense that we may not be able to readily detect micro expressions and tones that convey your emotional state and your needs. In this respect, it may be helpful to interact with us in a manner similar to how you might with someone who is blind or deaf and explicitly communicate how you are feeling or what you need.

I do not know of any support groups specifically for those in a relationship with those on the spectrum, though I wouldn't necessarily as I'm the one on the spectrum. I do know that there are a number of books aimed at women with husbands on the spectrum.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:46 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's a really typical Man-Women difference conflict, even between non-AS men and women - shown in the video posted by hurtloam.

AS Men are simply less socially inept to know how to deal with it.

I think you mean "less socially adept". Or you could say "Too socially inept".

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:55 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

AS Men are simply less socially inept to know how to deal with it.

I think you mean "less socially adept". Or you could say "Too socially inept".

Stop trying to fix it!! :cry:

Thanks for the fix though :lol:.

imhere
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2017, 4:33 am

I will state emphatically that I am NOT needy or clingy. I am normal, NT, just as the majority of humans are. Those with asperger's are different, and it is a result of those differences that throw the majority into emotional chaos. It would be naive to think that an asperger's person can simply find someone who will not have tremendous difficulty with the effects of the disability. They will. And they will hurt. You cannot pretend that does not exist, NT or AS. Finding the right person does not mean this problem will not exist for you, it only means what a person is willing to endure for their love of you. But there will always be a certain level of unfulfillment and sadness. It cannot just be ignored and blamed on the NT partner.

To not understand the perspective of the deep emotional needs of someone not in the spectrum is the very crux of being on the spectrum. Why do you think aspies have trouble with relationships? Isn't that the entire source of aspie relationship problems in the first place? It is a classic aspie response to call us needy or clingy in response to us being normal.... That is the exact thing the op is referring to and how it completely invalidates us for normal human needs. Asperger's is the disability, not the other way around.

Last edited by imhere on 25 Sep 2017, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:39 am

^ ok, well you know best.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:53 am

imhere wrote:
I will state emphatically that I am NOT needy or clingy. I am normal, NT, just as the majority of humans are. Those with asperger's are different, and it is a result of those differences that throw the majority into emotional chaos. It would be naive to think that an asperger's person can simply find someone who will not have tremendous difficulty with the effects of the disability. They will. And they will hurt. You cannot pretend that does not exist, NT or AS. Finding the right person does not mean this problem will not exist for you, it only means what a person is willing to endure for their love of you. But there will always be a certain level of unfulfillment and sadness. It cannot just be ignored and blamed on the NT partner.

You're generalizing too much. There is huge variety on the spectrum. You seem to have locked yourself into a dynamic that both fulfils some emotional need and creates other problems for you.

Love hurts.

If it were me, I'd try to find workarounds rather than enduring, or just letting go and moving on with my life. Life's too short for this crap.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:56 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
Yeah, I've got a female friend and things definitely go much smoother if I just let her vent on me and be understanding first, then try to fix the issue later.

In a way that's quite convenient actually, because empathizing with someone is a hell of a lot easier than actually solving their problems, lol.

That's brilliant.