Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:30 pm

Anyone have a Betta and if so tell me about them please.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 12:15 am

BettaPonic wrote:

I sent you a PM with a Betta question.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2017, 10:36 am

BettaPonic wrote:

Siamese Fighting-Fish?

I don't have one, but we did when I was a kid. We had two of them, in a bowl with a glass partition between them, so they'd be threatening eachother across the partition. At least that gave them something to do.

There's one thing that I can tell you about them: People keep them in containers that are too small. Likewise for Goldfish. Our Betta-container was much too small for two fish, but we didn't know any better at the time.

A bowl isn't big enough for any fish.

I don't believe in keeping confined fish or birds, but if you're going to keep fish, at least have a big rectangular table-size tank. And at least several fish, so they won't be bored to death.

But wouldn't it be better to have a dog or cat, so that it won't have to be confined in a small space?

We once had a rat, and it had the run of the house. (likewise our Guinea-Pig later) It could even go outside. It took up residence under the house, but came in to get food, which it took back under the house. One day it didn't show up anymore. We didn't know if it got eaten by a cat, or relocated, or just chose to live entirely outside.

Michael829

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 9:26 pm

My brother and I once had a Betta when we owned an aquarium when we were teenagers. I had bought the Betta myself one day. We had him for quite a while, he was one of our longer-living fish. :)

My brother now keeps fish but I don't think he owns a Betta. He's very dedicated to caring for them. He gets very annoyed and frustrated when he sees clueless people in pet stores selling fish to clueless customers. I wonder if I should tell the workers at the pet stores that keeping Bettas in those tiny cubes is wrong and cruel. Not that they'd listen.

I have two cats, and they're enough for now. It would be too expensive and maybe to much work for me to keep more pets by myself, although I sometimes wish I had a bunny or guinea pigs.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 7:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
My brother and I once had a Betta when we owned an aquarium when we were teenagers. I had bought the Betta myself one day. We had him for quite a while, he was one of our longer-living fish. :)

My brother now keeps fish but I don't think he owns a Betta. He's very dedicated to caring for them. He gets very annoyed and frustrated when he sees clueless people in pet stores selling fish to clueless customers. I wonder if I should tell the workers at the pet stores that keeping Bettas in those tiny cubes is wrong and cruel. Not that they'd listen.

I have two cats, and they're enough for now. It would be too expensive and maybe to much work for me to keep more pets by myself, although I sometimes wish I had a bunny or guinea pigs.

Your brother sounds awesome (and so do you). I always wanted a fishkeeping family member.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:27 am

BettaPonic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Your brother sounds awesome (and so do you). I always wanted a fishkeeping family member.

Do you not know the answer to the question I PM'd you? The fish has not eaten for over a week now.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:14 am

I had one once. It was very aggressive and would jump up out the water at my hand at feeding time. A couple of times it ended up on the floor doing that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

Here is the question I sent BettaPonic in case someone has sufficient expertise in the area to answer it.

The fish has not eaten for over a week now, nor has it defecated despite epsom salt baths and I fear it may die soon.

I have a betta fish question. I am currently caring for a relative's betta fish and it has become ill. They do not have a very good track record with with fish. They keep them in unfiltered tanks and feed them betta food pellets, and I think they probably don't clean the tank enough or soak the food before feeding them.

When this most recent fish came into my care, the tank needed some cleaning and the fish's fins were clamped and it was displaying horizontal stress stripes, but still eating eagerly. On the second day in my care, however, it stopped eating, so I cleaned the tank. I did a full water change because I didn't have a way to test the water parameters, and had to use tap water with a conditioner.

The fish was very calm when I transferred it to and from the tank, and I did so gently, however when I was finished changing the water, I realized the fish was hyperventilating and it's gills were sticking out. It may have been like this before.

It was still doing so the next day, and still had clamped fins, stress stripes, and wasn't eating, so I bought some Betta fish water at the pet store, as I knew it would have the proper parameters, put it in a smaller tank with the Betta fish water. I also covered the sides of the tank to reduce visual stimulus in case the fish was stressed, as I could not fit it's hiding place in the smaller tank.

However today, the fish is still in the same state, and not eating. I notice when I look down into the tank, while the fish is not listing to one side, it's back has a slight side bend in it near the base of the tail.

It has not defecated so I thought perhaps it is constipated, and have tried to get it to eat some blanched pea, but it will not eat anything, even blood worms. I have recently put some epsom salt in the tank as here that can help with constipation.

I was wondering if you might have any ideas what is wrong with it, and suggestions how to treat it.

It does not appear to have any external bacterial, fungal infections, or parasites. I have purchased some BettaFix but have not yet put it in the tank as I have heard conflicting advice on it.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:55 pm

Bettas are gorgeous, but I always feel bad for the ones I see in stores, because they're always in tiny containers, like little bowls or plastic tubs. I know other fish will damage their fins, but surely they need more space than that. They look sad/bored in there.

I have a Jurupari geophagus that looks a lot like this one.

My dad also has a few fish that I take care of. I don't remember what they are - some sort of small-ish cichlid.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

Chronos, I'll show my dad your post when he gets home from work. I don't think he's ever had a betta, but he used to be really into fishkeeping, focusing on freshwater fish, so he might have some idea how to help it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

Happy to see other people who understand the cups are not enough for any fish. They CAN live in a small amount of water because there are drought's in the wild and animals are tough. But they are not meant to live there all the time their habitat is thousands of square miles. They also need filtration and heat which most of the $20 "full set ups" for them do not have. So people just change 100% of the water all time. SO BAD for fish keeping and not hows it's done.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Had one many years ago, it is long since dead, didn't last long. The goldfish I had after it lived 8 years while my friend had gold fish that were almost mutant in size and lived just over 20 years.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 9:30 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Chronos, I'll show my dad your post when he gets home from work. I don't think he's ever had a betta, but he used to be really into fishkeeping, focusing on freshwater fish, so he might have some idea how to help it.

My dad didn't have any ideas, sorry. I hope the fish gets better.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

My dad didn't have any ideas, sorry. I hope the fish gets better.

Thank you for asking anyway.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:23 pm

Chronos wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Do you not know the answer to the question I PM'd you? The fish has not eaten for over a week now.

Really sorry I ended up in the hospital again. Diagnosed with Bipolar and Anorexia.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 4:54 am

BettaPonic wrote:
Chronos wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Really sorry I ended up in the hospital again. Diagnosed with Bipolar and Anorexia.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.