Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 6:57 am

Sent a letter to EEOC asking for advice on how someone with Autism/AS but undiagnosed (due to many falling through the cracks) would "prove" they are disabled for the purpose of bringing a claim or proving a claim.

Response treated my letter as a desire to open a claim. Typical canned response. I may craft a second letter asking if they even bothered to READ what I sent them the first time around.

:roll:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 8:05 am

The EEOC assists the "common man" in filing lawsuits against employers. Thus, in order to prove a claim, you need to convince a jury. No more, no less. You convince the jury and you win. You could have all the experts on your side but if the jury doesn't believe them, you lose.

Most employers aren't intimidated by lawsuits. You might look up our President and lawsuits against his businesses. These days it is part of the cost of doing business in the USA.

EEOC and Filing a Lawsuit
EEOC files employment discrimination lawsuits in select cases. When deciding whether to file a lawsuit, we consider several factors, including the seriousness of the violation, the type of legal issues in the case, and the wider impact the lawsuit could have on our efforts to combat workplace discrimination. Because of limited resources, EEOC cannot file a lawsuit in every case where discrimination has been found.

However, the EEOC office where your charge is filed may be able to give you a list of attorneys in your area who handle cases involving employment discrimination.
https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/lawsuit.cfm

Given the recent change in administrations, I would not expect the EEOC to become more helpful in filing lawsuits against employers.